Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I buy a dud?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I Bought a car which had an accident in Ohio, considered total loss,
but sold by the insurer with a clean title at the auction lot in Michigan.

It was retitled afterwards with a clean Michigan title which has the same 75% repair/value threshold for damaged cars as NY.

The car's value was shown as ~$45000 with repairs being estimated at ~$25000 with the final cost of repair being ~25%. This making me believe that the clean title is legit and wasn't washed.

History of the title:

Ohio title - clean

Michigan title - clean

Feb. Accident, sold at auction

Mar.Michigan title - clean.

Looking up the VIN on Michigan and Ohio's DMV websites, both state that the titles have always been clean.

Am I overstressing myself?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200325-160525~4.png
    Screenshot_20200325-160525~4.png
    713.6 KB · Views: 86
Oh noI wondering if I might have problems later on with supercharging. Also if the title might change to salvage when I apply for an NY title even though it's a clean MI title post auction.

I believe Tesla disables charging if they determine the car was in an accident and was rebuilt. They need to certify it before they will allow you to supercharge again. Just try charging it and see what happens.

Yeah they don't turn SC back on at all, ever, now AFAIK once it's off for being salvage.... and they'll turn it off from cars where it's on now if they find out about it later.

Rich Rebuilds recently did a vid on this exact thing.

(Mind you, 65% of it is painful drama nonsense from him, another 25% is him shilling for his sponsors, and maybe 10% is actual useful content... just about all of which I've summarized above for you)

So if he couldn't use the car to Supercharge at Tesla's SCs, won't he be able to use fast charge at an EVgo fast charger (with integrated CHAdeMO handle) when those become wide spread? That or use a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for what $450 in the meantime? Not Supercharger charging rates but better than J-1772.

Fast Charge your Tesla 3/S/X - EVgo

otherwise for home charging you'd have the HPWC ($500), a corded NEMA 14-50 ($520, to take advantage of the 11.5 kW max--48A--onboard charger of the AWD, and with a 50a breaker get up to 40A with this outlet), or a third-party J-1772 EVSE.

Last edited:
So if he couldn't use the car to Supercharge at Tesla's SCs, won't he be able to use fast charge at an EVgo fast charger (with integrated CHAdeMO handle) when those become wide spread? That or use a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for what $500 in the meantime? Not Supercharger charging rates but better than J-1772.

Fast Charge your Tesla 3/S/X - EVgo

Tesla disables all DC fast charging when they disable supercharging.

Best he'd get is level 2 charging.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Im not even understanding OPs original question. It looks like OP is buying a car that was totaled, but then the title has been washed in such a way that its clean title... so OP is asking is the car a dud?

Is the question "is this totaled car I bought a problematic car"?

There is no way anybody from an online forum would be able to make that determination. if you're buying a used car that should be inspected by a qualified mechanic that's familiar with the vehicle.
Except that in the case of a Tesla vehicle, a mechanic isn't necessarily able to answer the question of whether or not Tesla has or will disable Supercharging on a vehicle that is otherwise in good health and repair. Even if one can get the car over to a Supercharger for testing before purchase, there's no guarantee that Tesla won't disable that capability later if it learns it had been previously totaled.

Im not even understanding OPs original question. It looks like OP is buying a car that was totaled, but then the title has been washed in such a way that its clean title... so OP is asking is the car a dud?

Is the question "is this totaled car I bought a problematic car"?

I don't think it was washed. Otherwise it wouldn't have been retitled clean in Michigan after the accident. They are much stricter on that. And aren't a title washing state.