Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla’s Sale Alienate Everyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 5 referrals and had been a pretty big Tesla supporter and all but bit peeved by the recent changes and my service experiences. I own a Model 3 and X and love them but have had significant service issues with both cars, particularly my 3 had multiple drive unit failures. Communication sucked and I gave them the benefit of the doubt for being new to mass producing cars. But the sleezy sales tactics is what really upset me after these multiple drops. Got my dad to consider a Tesla as they loved our 3. Tesla reps were pushy and kept getting emails direct from Tesla to buy now or miss out on tax credit and pay more. He had no need for a car for 6 months more when his i3 lease was up at that time but was convinced to buy now or pay $7500 more in the future. Fast forward to these multiple drops and we ended up paying much more for a car that was not needed because of Teslas sales tactics.

After these latest drops and unfair EAP/FSD pricing for various buyers I don't think I am as excited about the company as before. Im sure others feel this way and Tesla may have to start advertising if they are disappointing their previous buyers who purchased high margin vehicles. The closing of stores, laying off reps, and dropped prices on all the cars across the board did not instill confidence in the company and the stock price has responded appropriately. All these changes in 1 announcement is not positive way to introduce a more affordable 35k model which is a marvelous feat on its own. I think waning demand and having huge factories churning out tons of cars leading to too many inventory cars may be a problem for Tesla which many fans may be afraid to admit. If things were positive they would have kept the same premium pricing model on the higher trim models and simply introduce the $35k model with the smaller range battery and no PUP. Everything else fit perfectly to keep their profit margins healthy (9K LR battery upgrade, 5K PUP) but it seems a larger demand problem and Tesla overreaching too far at the expense of their brand loyalty. I still absolutely love the cars but I can honestly say my view towards the company has taken a huge hit these past 2 months.

You aren't factoring in the big loan that need to be paid in March however and how it ended up needing to be repaid. Elon did not want to position the company to have to take out any additional loans here if they thought they could do without even if they needed to make cost cutting changes to make it happen. As for promoting end of year purchases when they did, I don't fault them at all for that. I wouldn't think they would know what would end up happening come March for sure. A lot of people were very happy to get the full $7500 on their returns, ourselves included. If I could have gotten my specific car sooner I would have ordered it then and don't regret buying when we did and having it to drive all these extra months. I plan to keep the car for a number of years so that I'm sure factors into my thinking. I don't know of any car manufacturer who will tell you up front "don't order now, wait for six months" because there will be a big price drop if was was even known at the time. I tend to think things are more fluid than that as prices get affected by interest rate, world issues and clearly the impact that EVs are happening to the industry.

I do agree these announcements weren't handled as well as they could have been. I'm hoping once the focus can get taken off production so much and they are turning a profit each quarter, if not sooner, the focus will turn to improving customer service and other business aspects. If they were rolling in profit and not addressing these issues I would be more critical of how things are run. They do need to be addressed and soon as more and more owners are coming on line.

Yes, I'm still throwing a pity party for myself. Hard pill to swallow owing more on the loan I had for 5 months than what I could have bought the same config for, with FSD, no less, including tax rebate incentives. Love the car, lost all respect for the company. This will be a 1 and done for me.

While I understand, it's not much different than buying a house, having the market fall and interest rates rise. You can always second guess yourself for jumping into anything (stock market, house purchase, car purchase, etc). Letting it bother you when you can't really do much about foreseeing the future really isn't productive or emotionally healthy if it eats at you. Not sure how many more cars we will be buying in our lifetime but if my or my husband's Teslas were totalled in an accident we wouldn't be buying anything else to replace it.

While I understand, it's not much different than buying a house, having the market fall and interest rates rise. You can always second guess yourself for jumping into anything (stock market, house purchase, car purchase, etc). Letting it bother you when you can't really do much about foreseeing the future really isn't productive or emotionally healthy if it eats at you. Not sure how many more cars we will be buying in our lifetime but if my or my husband's Teslas were totalled in an accident we wouldn't be buying anything else to replace it.
I don't disagree with much of what you said. I wish I had better emotional intelligence and could simply butch up and not let it bother me like it does. Sadly, I've clearly got a lot of personal growth left to do... :)

The weeks this went on was massive over the top drama. The goal is to sell (semi)automated electric cars as cheap as possible to get them in more hands to reduce emissions and increase safety. I would be happy if they did an across the board price cut of $15,000 and made EAP and FSD free on every new car. For me it's all about the goals and not the self-interest. Please note I am stating what my view is and not stating that everyone else should share my view.

There were upset people? :horrorgasp:

I just don't listen to all of that. I made the purchase for AP and then FSD cause the price came in my range. The rest of the cars are cheaper now, good! Tax credit was more or less made me right in the same spot now as if it was earlier. Things go on sale after you bought it, love it or hate it, that's life. I look at it as time value of enjoyment of my car before it came down. You pay the premium for having it first, but you get more enjoyment out of it before the others. Some people forget what they are actually paying all their money for if it is such an optional item (electric car). It's not like anyone but yourself forced you to do it.

As for how it all went down, I think Tesla knows it's buyers/tech sites better than they know themselves. They literally do zero marketing, it's all Twitter, word of mouth, etc. Everyone does their work for them, and you know what gets the most clicks? Generating a little controversy. I hate Trump but clearly that model gets you far, and that is more or less what Tesla does, constantly, all. the. time. and the rubes eat it up. You can never make everyone 100% happy 100% of the time, and it's always the loudest whiners that get top billing, for better, but mostly for the worse. It's was all about generating a little extra cash, and it worked.

didn't alienate me since I jumped on purchasing AP2 (AP-Lite, or whatever its officially called) for my M3 for $2k.

That being said, the yo-yoing of prices does add fuel to those who think TSLA leadership is lacking....and its definitely a way to PO your current customers (particularly those that paid up for FSD earlier).

Reactions: MattUNI
A lot of these people complaining remind me of my mother-in-law who at 80 years old has had to move in with us (fun times) she goes everywhere with my wife and I now and I get to see her way of thinking ALL of the time.

just some of the things,
'It's too cold in here" thermostat is at 75

"it's too hot in here" thermostat is at 70

waitress says "how do you want your bacon", Mom says "I want it burnt" bacon comes back pretty crisp and Mom says "I can't eat this bacon, its burnt!"

wife says "I'm opening a bottle of wine, you want some?" Mom says "yes but I only want Cab" a couple days later I open a bottle of Petite Sirah and ask Mom if she would like some, she says "is it a cab?" I say "why yes it is" she says "oh, thats the best cab I ever had"

Her favorite soup is New England style clam chowder and EVERY SINGLE TIME she orders it there is something wrong, too hot, too cold, not enough clams, too thick, too thin.

When we go out to eat Mom says "i'm not that hungry just order me some soup" appetizers come and Mom says "what's that? it looks good, oh I guess ill have a little" Salads come "sure i'll have a little" main course comes "oh that looks good"

See where i'm going with this? Some people just live to complain, Bless her Heart! (she's from the south)

Me, I just bought FSD for $2,000 when I could, not sure if i'll get much but just the promise of HW3 makes me think that AP could get smoother from the extra processing power.

I always enjoyed the art of haggling with the traditional car dealers so it never bothered me that they didn't have set pricing. I was always told that Tesla was different. Everyone pays the same price. Well, now we know that's not true (at least not anymore). So I guess those who like to negotiate may get a better deal. It just puts them on par with every other car dealer. Not really a big deal either way.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman