Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla’s Sale Alienate Everyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Correlate all price drops to match the reduction in the federal tax rebate and introduce the $35k SR after July. Do not sell an SR+ because this kills demand for the higher models.

The problem is they tried to do that in January by lowering the prices first by $2,000, and then by another $1,100. And they still were not generating enough demand to keep selling as many cars as they were producing. The market for people willing to purchase cars in the $45K+ range is much smaller than the market for people who can buy a $35-$37K car. If they hadn't introduce SR and SR+ they would have too much surplus. Elon's goal was to make EVs affordable to the masses. The early prices were intended to capture the market for early adopters who were willing to pay more to be first in line. All of those people bought their cars by now. There aren't many left. I think Elon did what he had to do to survive.

• Informative
Reactions: dnvr-ev
Elon should read this ^^^

I think that is what is most bothersome. They lost confidence in themselves and now I’ve lost confidence in them as well.

They never should have done the P3D+ refund. Even though I got $5k back on P3D-. I would have preferred never getting that refund and kept my perceived confidence as it was was when I bought the car. As well as the public’s. I’m not sure how much harm has been done to the public perception.

No, wait they never should have lowered the P3D+ price in the first place. I think that’s when it all first started.

I agree I think they pushed a little to hard at the end of Q3 and Q4. And paying the price in Q1 2019.

Yup as a P3D+ owner who bought after the PUP debacle, I would’ve paid $5K more and not felt any different. There is no other car in the field like this, no need to play shenanigans. They could learn a lot from Apple in holding their line on price. I had no issue with a $35K stripped down Model 3 when I paid $75K’ish for my P3D+ just as I never complained paying for a BMW M3 when my friend bought a 320i. They royally messed up.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that tens of thousands of dollars is not a lot of money to you. Stop and think for a second about a price fluctuation that would upset you. It might be a million dollars. For someone who can barely afford a Model 3, a shift of $4,000-$9,000 in weeks is a heavy burden. You have to keep in mind that Tesla has been drawing in new crowds of people who stretch themselves to buy this car. They want to be confident in their purchase. That’s part of what mass production entails.

It is also not about the goal, but about the way in which the goal is reached. Elon could have easily accomplished the same goal with almost zero controversy. I said it in another post.

1. Correlate all price drops to match the reduction in the federal tax rebate and introduce the $35k SR after July. Do not sell an SR+ because this kills demand for the higher models.

2. Keep autopilot as 3 packages instead of 2. Make AP $3k, EAP $2k, and FSD $3k on delivery. Give all original owners 30 days to buy at those prices, too.

No one would have complained. Everyone would have ended up paying the same even though the cars went down $7,500 in cost by 2020.

Tens of thousands of dollars is significant to me. A million dollars much more so. And yet it is a cheap price to pay for the future that I, and I assume the vast majority of people here, hope for. Everything else is just details. I do not believe what you say about zero controversy. I do not believe it was ever a real possibility, regardless of the scenarios you present. Perhaps there was a better path. But hindsight is always twenty-twenty and likely this better path is just an illusion.

If you stretched yourself to buy a Tesla, particularly if you have a family, this was a mistake. But you were a volunteer. And you also have an incredible car while simultaneously paving the road for true mass production of electric cars and global wide adoption. I salute and congratulate you! What did you really lose in the end? Some money? What do you gain if Tesla succeeds?

What will you lose if Tesla’s stated mission fails? What will the family or individual with the short term financial issues lose in the future?

Tens of thousands of dollars is significant to me. A million dollars much more so. And yet it is a cheap price to pay for the future that I, and I assume the vast majority of people here, hope for. Everything else is just details. I do not believe what you say about zero controversy. I do not believe it was ever a real possibility, regardless of the scenarios you present. Perhaps there was a better path. But hindsight is always twenty-twenty and likely this better path is just an illusion.

If you stretched yourself to buy a Tesla, particularly if you have a family, this was a mistake. But you were a volunteer. And you also have an incredible car while simultaneously paving the road for true mass production of electric cars and global wide adoption. I salute and congratulate you! What did you really lose in the end? Some money? What do you gain if Tesla succeeds?

What will you lose if Tesla’s stated mission fails? What will the family or individual with the short term financial issues lose in the future?
The mission is great and many believe in it, including me. A car manufacturer has to be smarter than this, though. A company of 50,000 people has to be rational enough to anticipate public reaction. I don’t think there’s any hindsight to something as basic as this. I am not that smart and I can tell if something is a bad idea before it happens. It’s a matter of common sense. When the tax tefund drops $3750, drop the price to match. Then do it again twice more at $1875 each. Launch your cheap version of autopilot, but don’t forget the promise you made to all the people who came before and keep those prices tge same, at least to befin with. Give people advance notice.

I am actually not expecting HW3 for my $$ either, but maybe eventually they will deliver something to FSD buyers. I will probably feel better about the whole thing on that day.
It's unfortunate to think that's how meaningless Elon's word has become. The recent backtracking about the lacking viability of HW2.5 in adequately powering FSD suggests they'll make us cough up another ~$50k to get full autonomy.

All this Sturm und Drang about pricing is a tempest in a teapot. Watch a Tony Seba video and see the future of transportation. Tesla is riding the front of the wave so every decision has no precedence. There will be two steps forward with every one step back but they are out front - which means they will get most of the accolades and business.

If you own Tesla stock, its for the long run. You don't like volatility at the moment, get out. But in the long run, Tesla will win because BEVs will win and they are just so far ahead of everyone else.

And you folks miss the real importance of Tesla - to get the REST of the auto industry into electric vehicles. Anyone who argues they all would have done so at this time anyway is smoking something. Tesla is the reason SPECIFICALLY because it has been successful doing so. Thus, I see great success for Tesla into the future, regardless of these little price variations.

Interesting how Tesla's blunders are considered consumer entitlement by some. Yes it's all the customer's fault for being upset about schizophrenic pricing policies and secret blog sales. After all, we are just plebeians and Elon, well he wants to fart on Mars someday.

Last edited:
Anyone who argues they all would have done so at this time anyway is smoking something.

Nissan would've had LEAF volumes were the disasters that wrecked their battery factory in Japan not occurred. As is the LEAF is quite impressive among all EVs.

But hey, maybe you shouldn't denigrate smoking something.

Musk smoking.gif

I heard an awesome parable the other day and I believe its relevant here.

"One day his horse runs away. And his neighbor comes over and says, to commiserate, “I’m so sorry about your horse.” And the farmer says “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?” The neighbor is confused because this is clearly terrible. The horse is the most valuable thing he owns.

But the horse comes back the next day and he brings with him 12 feral horses. The neighbor comes back over to celebrate, “Congratulations on your great fortune!” And the farmer replies again: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

And the next day the farmer’s son is taming one of the wild horses and he’s thrown and breaks his leg. The neighbor comes back over, “I’m so sorry about your son.” The farmer repeats: “Who Knows What’s Good or Bad?”

Sure enough, the next day the army comes through their village and is conscripting able-bodied young men to go and fight in war, but the son is spared because of his broken leg.

And this story can go on and on like that. Good. Bad. Who knows?

We dont know the full story of things and some times we are so immersed in our own story that we forget that its even there.

What his neighbor never grasped was the farmer was never at the mercy of uncontrolled events, his life was ever at the mercy of his own chose perspectives.

Last edited:
Nissan would've had LEAF volumes were the disasters that wrecked their battery factory in Japan not occurred. As is the LEAF is quite impressive among all EVs.

But hey, maybe you shouldn't denigrate smoking something.

View attachment 390168

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. And comparing a Nissan Leaf to a Tesla is quite the joke. Tesla has combined so many disruptive technologies in a single platform that nothing really touches it. Add to the fact that they now have a $35K version AND a P3D which kills Porsches - lets see Leaf do that...

Even Musk will tell you he doesn't smoke. His mind is too active to go that route...

The Tesla fire sale overshadowed Space X and the Model Y launch. It ended up alienating so many people. I wanted to compile all of the anger and ridiculousness in one place as I find the whole thing to be an interesting and amusing display of modern human thinking. I’m not denying my own involvement in any of this.

The Story:

1. Tesla went on a price dropping spree that saw buyers who bought days before miss out on better deals. Tesla ignored their calls and the anger began to grow because recent buyers wanted the best deal. Tesla announced the store closures which alienated many of their employees and hurt confidence in the stock.

2. The backlash grew so much that Tesla decided to offer a sale on AP+FSD. The $5k total price was for people who didn’t buy either before and was meant to offset price drops. All of the early adopters who bought FSD before were now furious that it was $3k cheaper, so a new mob emerged on social media. All the people with EAP also got mad because they still had to pay $2k for FSD. Customer service reps were misinformed about giving free AP and FSD to customers who bought in 2019. There were reports of undelivered cars getting free upgrades, but it didn’t seem to apply to delivered cars.

3. The crying grew so loud that Tesla suddenly decided to keep half its stores open and raise prices and end the sale. They of course extended it a couple days and then raised prices back to higher than people expected. Now a new mob of people formed who feel they weren’t told about the sale.

So now there are all these mobs on social media:

1. The price dropped too quickly and we didn’t get a refund mob.
2. The why did undelivered cars get free FSD and no one else did mob.
3. The why did you sell ap+fsd for $5k to people who didn’t preorder mob.
4. The why did you promise me free ap or fsd and not deliver mob.
5. The why did you close the stores mob.
6. The why do you want $2k for FSD when I already bought EAP mob.
7. The why does the new AP not have auto lane change mob.
8. And my favorite new FOMO mob, the why didn’t you give me a chance to get the deal mob.

There are two takeaways:

1. Tesla makes crazy decisions that change day to day and they are not afraid to go back on any of them. This is a shock to many consumers who expect them to behave like every other luxury car maker.

2. People act like they are in some kind of competitive feeding frenzy. Perceived unfairness brings out the worst in everyone and they all attack each other. No one cares about anyone else unless it touches them personally.

There was a sale, and some kind of follow up controversy? I must have missed all of it, been too busy riding around enjoying my Model 3 to focus on this very important development. Maybe I'll have to read through all 17 pages ;)

Nah.... :)

RT

Reactions: KG M3 and NinjaVece
Didn’t bother me a bit. Other dealers have sales periodically; Labor Day, Veterans Day, Fourth of July etc etc. We’ve come to expect too much from Tesla. They give so many extra thing that we feel entitled rather than greatful. None of those people getting the “fire sale” got a 7500 tax credit.

• Disagree
Reactions: turtlesz