Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Drop the Price of P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I was considering a second Model S and priced a new P100D for giggles. It appears TMC made more things standard such as Ludicrous Mode, subzero, High fidelity radio, etc. so essentially the car is now less expensive and a fully loaded car is now under 140K. Am I mistaken?
Secondly, (I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere) why were the P versions so pricey? The battery size is identical, the Ludicrous Mode was an extra 10K, the wheels weren't larger and the brakes were the same other than the red paint. Was Tesla just unlocking the software and tweaking the suspension for all the extra money?
Maybe Tesla has started feeling guilty and adjusted the price downward? LOL

The price will continue to come down because early adopters do two things; make a show of interest in the product and pay for production machinery. The early P100D Ludicrous controller was costly to make but more precise so more amps could go to the motor without burning it up. When Ludicrous became popular at a high price Tesla went into mass production to lower the cost.

Yes, Tesla has dropped the price of the P100DL twice. First they dropped the base price by $5k. Then they included the Premium Package ($5k) as standard, and the Premium interior ($3k) as standard. So they dropped it a total of $13k from its peak price.

Suspension is the same on the P100D and 100D. The P100D has a higher capacity fuse, but mostly its just software. Something else to consider though is that Tesla warranties that level of power usage on the P100D, which will undoubtly lead to a higher failure rate.

Also there have been times where inventory deals on P100Ds have made them cheaper or the same price as a 100D.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99 and xborg
You are incorrect sir.
I have watched this closely for nearly a year. The lowest price P100D ever priced by Tesla was ~$117k, and a couple of others in the low $120k. Those were all base cars (standard black) with no options, at least 9 months old with many thousands of miles. The highest price possible for a custom-ordered S100D is $122k, which includes $8k worth of software.

Provide specific numbers to support your claim.

They weren't advertised. I've seen some P100Ds with $30k+ discounts on them, for a few month old with ~2k miles on em.
Those discounts were meaningless, if not outright misleading, because they are discounts from the old price when the vehicle was built (before substantial price drops, options becoming standard, and option package consolidation), not the current price. Those changes have chopped ~$20k off the price of a fully loaded P100D ($7K price drop, ~$9k included options, ~$3k option consolidation). If you compare the "discounted" price to the price of a similarly configured new vehicle, the discounts are *way* less.

Anytime you see a huge discount on a vehicle, go and configure a current vehicle with the same options and *then* compare the price. I have done this dozens of times before I finally bought my custom-ordered vehicle. The discount always ends up following Tesla's formula for inventory discounts: $1k/month + $1/mile. When you actually do the math, the discounts aren't really very much. In fact, I notice that discounts are no longer listed on http://ev-cpo.com or http://teslainventory.com.

Here is an example for $121,900: www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1E4XHF200419?redirect=no
(the direct link won't take you to the vehicle in question for some strange reason, so copy and paste the link into your browser).

The price for a custom-ordered vehicle with the same specs is $145,500, which is $23,600 more (and the above vehicle doesn't even have the sub-zero package). The formula above suggests an "age/mileage" discount of $9k for ~9 months + $4k for mileage = $13k. So the actual additional discount is about $10k. Formerly, this would have been listed as a $30k+ discount.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Those discounts were meaningless, if not outright misleading, because they are discounts from the old price when the vehicle was built (before substantial price drops, options becoming standard, and option package consolidation), not the current price. Those changes have chopped ~$20k off the price of a fully loaded P100D ($7K price drop, ~$9k included options, ~$3k option consolidation). If you compare the "discounted" price to the price of a similarly configured new vehicle, the discounts are *way* less.

Once again, you are incorrect.

The discount always ends up following Tesla's formula for inventory discounts: $1k/month + $1/mile. When you actually do the math, the discounts aren't really very much.

Also not always true.

And...... your thoughtful response is the equivalent of, "Nuh, uh. Neener, neener."?
You are claiming to know the details of every inventory transaction that has ever occurred. You obviously don't. As I've already stated there have been P100D deals that were less than 100D prices. Inventory P100Ds in like new condition have been offered with $30k+ off current list prices. If you don't believe me, that's fine.

You are claiming to know the details of every inventory transaction that has ever occurred. You obviously don't. As I've already stated there have been P100D deals that were less than 100D prices. Inventory P100Ds in like new condition have been offered with $30k+ off current list prices. If you don't believe me, that's fine.

I can back that up as I purchased one of those 40k usd (well 55k Canadian) off P100’s in Oct 17’ ...and it had only 2800km (1750 miles) on it. Fully loaded as well. I leased it and the 55k acted like a down payment hence the lease payment ended up cheaper than a loaded 100d. The residual value is based on the original msrp so the total lease payments reduced dramatically.

And yes I agree the discount was not truly 55k as a brand new P100D exactly as configured was only 22k more than what I paid. However the lease payments reduction on my inventory P reflects the entire 55k and hence my monthly lease payment was literally half that of a new lease.

And yes I agree the discount was not truly 55k as a brand new P100D exactly as configured was only 22k more than what I paid.
And what price did you pay for your discounted P100D?

If I understood you correctly, a custom-ordered P100D would have been CAN$22k more = US$16k. The base price of the P100D is US$134k. This means that it was at least US$118k (+options), which is slightly higher than the lowest price I cited earlier. This supports my original claim that a discounted P100D will not be sold for less than a 100D.

Last edited:
And what price did you pay for your discounted P100D?

If I understood you correctly, a custom-ordered P100D would have been CAN$22k more = US$16k. The base price of the P100D is US$134k. This means that it was at least US$118k (+options), which is slightly higher than the lowest price I cited earlier. This supports my original claim that a discounted P100D will not be sold for less than a 100D.

I purchased the P100D for 154k Canadian when the new pricing was 186k. A fully loaded 100d at that time would have been around 146k.

So I paid about 8k more than a 100D same options. I think what was mentioned is that some discounted P100d’s were cheaper than the 100d. Well...one could say the old pricing (literally 1-2 months earlier) on the 100d was 156k cnd so In essence some people actually did pay 2k more for their 100D than I paid for my P100D only 1-2 months after they did.

Both arguments here have merit.