Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla lose focus by making the Model 3 an autonomous car instead of a great EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we had before was hopeful speculation. The difference is now we're more informed.

That's like people saying they knew how the iPhone interface would work prior to demo day in 2007.

We know there's one center display. That says nothing about the full specification of the entire user interface or how well it actually works. The information from Elon Musk's tweets just isn't enough to say how good/bad it will turn out. People are freaking out over speculation.

I understand that people are anxious about this anticipated product. But if the uncertainty is this bad to done people, just buy a Honda and wait a few years to see how things shake out. Tesla will have no shortage of early adopters who will be willIng to try something new.

Some are resigned to the fact that this is the final design and are disappointed.

Some are hoping that the final product will have more than that iPad that sticks out.

Some are confident there are some pleasant surprises that we will learn soon.

In any case disappointments galore.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Musk is just playing coy with these comments he's been making. Yes, he passionately believes the future is autonomous driving and that he can make it happen. But he's also a smart guy. He has to know that you could make the best self-driving car in the world tomorrow, but no one would buy it if it didn't also provide an amazing driver experience. There has to be a bridge.

Reactions: calisnow
Leaf
Focus
500e
Soul
fortwo
i-MiEV
etc., etc.

That's not really saying much.

Does the mass market really want this?

View attachment 219809
I read the above list (Leaf, Focus, 500e, Soul, 420, Imiev) and then saw that picture and said "That's nice! What car is that?" It looks like an adept photographer specially shot that with a special lense and angle and lighting to put the Tesla Model 3 in a really good two dimensional image for photography, in order to make people like me think "oh that's nice", but I bet if you got in it in real three and four dimensional life, real lighting, felt all the bumps and crevices in the materials, felt the materials, saw the aspect ratios -- that it would feel different from that photo. Just looking at the photo: it looks as if the observer is pretending to be inside the car but is slightly outside of it, with eye level smack up against the ceiling line, and the windshield cropped out to remove the sense of closed in feeling from the ceiling, and cropped and zoomed in just enough to feel like the space is airy and ample for the sitting location, and without reference to size so you don't know if this is a kindergarten sized seat or a Shrek sized seat, and probably three dozen other angle, positioning, lighting, cropping and other photography stunts and tricks to make a real untouched-up photo give all the wrong impressions for the real thing. That photographer must be extremely expensive and sought after, or that skill set must be easy to pick up, anyway. (It might not be hard: just kinda try different positions and settings until one has the desired effect, and after a few years doing that it might come natural to photographers, like riding a bicycle or shooting an arrow.)

But, if that photo isn't all faked up (by lensing and shot angle effects, not by touchups, but who knows) like I assume that it is, at least it is a good sign.

Last edited:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/219809/
But, if that photo isn't all faked up (by lensing and shot angle effects, not by touchups, but who knows) like I assume that it is, at least it is a good sign.
Well here are some uncropped pics from the same angle
Tesla Model 3: new interior image highlights the puzzle inside the vehicle

I personally have no problem with the interior.
model-3-cabin-original.jpg

tesla-model-3-black-matte-1.jpg

Well here are some uncropped pics from the same angle
Tesla Model 3: new interior image highlights the puzzle inside the vehicle

I personally have no problem with the interior.
model-3-cabin-original.jpg

tesla-model-3-black-matte-1.jpg
Thank you! That's great!

My impressions:

Still looks great, and still doesn't give me the whole 3D perspective, but putting more and more 2D photos together does eventually get me a feel for it.

This is a place that compositing and interpolating 3D virtual reality experiences from a bunch of 2D pictures would be super helpful. I'm trying to do it in my mind.

So far, all I've come up with by looking at this is that it enforces the small sedan low-down reclined position, but seems to have sufficient legroom unlike some subcompacts. We shall see. The acid test is actually getting in and out of one repeatedly, driving around, and doing a days' errands. I like the anticipation a bit ...

----

That's like people saying they knew how the iPhone interface would work prior to demo day in 2007.

We know there's one center display. That says nothing about the full specification of the entire user interface or how well it actually works. The information from Elon Musk's tweets just isn't enough to say how good/bad it will turn out. People are freaking out over speculation.
A certain amount can be probabilistically guessed by smart people and people who know where things are generally going (usually those two groups being intersecting sets, but not always), and I'm often entertained and interested in these guesses, because they make me imagine, think, measure, and learn, and even sometimes get an idea of what's coming (but that seems less important), however, they are just guesses, each with their own probabilities. In any guessing, there is an error component. Yes, some people freak out, but they want to do that, so let them. For the rest of us, it's still mildly entertaining, and yet not a really big deal. I'm talking about any interesting subject matter -- next iPhone release, next SpaceX innovation, who is behind gender fluidity politics, how long we're going to be working at our current job, how long until we get neural laces so our cyborg abilities can grow, what kind of procreation and life longevity we will have when we are full cyborgs and beyond, how will our souls exist in cyborgs and robots -- all things we are variously interested in, and make some variously informed guesses based on probabilities, but almost none of us actually know. Obviously some of us know more about some topics than others.

I understand that people are anxious about this anticipated product. But if the uncertainty is this bad to done people, just buy a Honda* and wait a few years to see how things shake out. Tesla will have no shortage of early adopters who will be willIng to try something new.
Ahh, but with this I must wholeheartedly agree. Even though it matters to me a lot to push forward with clean cars and stuff like that, I regret having bought my Model S so early; I should have gotten a hold-me-over ICE that was more affordable and been riding the Trump market wave up and saved a bit more money than I have, perhaps gotten a Chevy Bolt for right now (which if I knew then what I know now about the Bolt I would have absolutely done), and then I could be one of those getting into a Model 3 when all wheel drive comes out, or a $40K used Tesla Model X or something in 3-4 years.

* My footnote: or used luxury car, or Bolt EV, or used Tesla Model S, or used whatever ... it could be a few years before the market settles to what someone wants.

----

I have a sneaking suspicion that Musk is just playing coy with these comments he's been making. Yes, he passionately believes the future is autonomous driving and that he can make it happen. But he's also a smart guy. He has to know that you could make the best self-driving car in the world tomorrow, but no one would buy it if it didn't also provide an amazing driver experience. There has to be a bridge.
To me it looks and seems better than many disappointed takes here, but better enough? It's not going to be a $40,000 Maybach Stretch Electric Vehicle with Armor Shielding and Surround Dome IMAX Movie Theatre with 0-300MPH in 0.49 seconds (or even 0-100MPH in 2s) at an angle with G-force dampening and Massage Bed Chairs (or swiveling chairs). Nope. Not even close. It's going to be a compact less expensive more boring version of a Model S with less acceleration and less distance than the Model S. It's going to be much less nice than a $96,000 2018 Mercedes S550, but at least it will be an Electric Vehicle, which the S550 is not, and you'd save a lot of money buying a Model 3 in 2018 rather than a 2018 S550; I think most people can afford a Model 3 (whether wise or not) and very few can afford a new S550. I don't think anybody here is getting one in 2017 unless they are early adopters or work for Mr. Musk.

What I think it will be, in 2018 for us reservation holders (December 2017 for a few foot-in-door types), or in 2020 for the general public, is slightly better than an ICE Honda and a realistic Electric Vehicle, which putting the two together, should make it pretty OK, which is what a lot of us have wanted in our cars in various utilitarian parts of our lives. Now, I'm a bit older, so my tastes have grown up, but I might have to re-shrink them in the future, and all I'm trying to figure out is if being forced into a Model 3 I'd hugely regret it or just find it acceptable. Acceptable would be a pretty good win, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Leaf
Focus
500e
Soul
fortwo
i-MiEV
etc., etc.
That's not really saying much.
Thank you for proving my point that the Model 3 will be by far the best EV for $35K. Of course the cars you list are significantly less than $35K. But the Model 3 will offer so much more than any of those cars it is really in a class by itself at this point, even when compared to the Chevy Bolt.

As for whether or not the "mass market" wants an interior with a single large center display and no drivers display, apparently over 350,000 people do, people who have not seen a Model 3 in person. Of course some percentage of those people will cancel their reservation. But once the Model 3 gets out on the street, positive word of mouth spreads, and people can see them in Tesla showrooms and drive them, I am confident that demand will be off the charts.

You can disagree, or agree. Time will tell...

Still looks great, and still doesn't give me the whole 3D perspective, but putting more and more 2D photos together does eventually get me a feel for it.

This is a place that compositing and interpolating 3D virtual reality experiences from a bunch of 2D pictures would be super helpful. I'm trying to do it in my mind.

Then you'll enjoy this VR Model 3 test drive. :)

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Did @ratsbew jump the gun by prematurely passing judgment on the Model 3?
That taxi tweet spoke volumes about the potential for this platform as a driver's car. OP is based on a reasonable assumption. But getting the price down probably led to sacrifices in both features and options that were not necessarily due to lack of focus, but compromise in cost and product positioning. That said, cost doesn't explain certain choices for driver info display - for which apparently an explanation from Tesla was forthcoming. We were waiting on that info. However, when recently addressed, quite close to production, got unexpected bad news which changed perception of Tesla's commitment.

I showed the interior photos to my wife and she was OK with what she calls "Nordic Nightmare" sparse, but then said, "A clueless man designed this."
"How so?" I asked.
"Where does a purse sit? There's no place that keeps it from sliding onto the floor."
The car she drives most often is a Prius V, with a center bin rimmed by substantial fiddles that keep things in their place.
Robin
2015-Toyota-Prius-V-interior-design.jpg

I think one thing people will have to get used to is Telsa's design philosophy for interiors clearly isn't to just, "do what everybody else is doing." Most cars now days are a collection of screens, vents, buttons, and such sometimes to an almost off-putting degree.

Do I think it will take some adjustment? Sure! Do I think it's possible? Absolutely!

For myself, I predict about 6 days to "get used" to just the center screen (fortunately for me my gen2 Volt already has me looking there a lot!) and about 6 months to where if I get in a different car I'll remark how busy and cluttered it is!

A Tesla interior looks "Like a Tesla". I think that's part of the point, but I can understand why especially for people who like the old world Euro Luxury interiors- and I certainly do- the Tesla style will be a bit off-putting. They'll either adjust or wait for BMW and Mercedes to start putting out EVs.

Reactions: cdub
I think one thing people will have to get used to is Telsa's design philosophy for interiors clearly isn't to just, "do what everybody else is doing." Most cars now days are a collection of screens, vents, buttons, and such sometimes to an almost off-putting degree.

Do I think it will take some adjustment? Sure! Do I think it's possible? Absolutely!

For myself, I predict about 6 days to "get used" to just the center screen (fortunately for me my gen2 Volt already has me looking there a lot!) and about 6 months to where if I get in a different car I'll remark how busy and cluttered it is!

A Tesla interior looks "Like a Tesla". I think that's part of the point, but I can understand why especially for people who like the old world Euro Luxury interiors- and I certainly do- the Tesla style will be a bit off-putting. They'll either adjust or wait for BMW and Mercedes to start putting out EVs.
Yes, agree completely about the blizzard of buttons that clutter most cars. However, given what Elon Musk often says, you'd expect Tesla's design philosophy to keep first principles in mind. And functionality is definitely one of those pesky first principles. Comparing a car his company is designing and building for people to drive with the experience of riding in a taxi is a syllogism at best.
First principles. They can do better. I hope they will.
Robin

Doing things different for the sake of doing it different. Finding solutions to non-existent problems - Teslas niche?

No.

I just think that it fits with the Tesla approach of trying to have openness and space in the car and trying to make everything as easy as possible.

It also fits with the optimistic approach to autonomy, which de-emphasizes the gauges. When you're riding in a taxi, do you try to look at the gauges, or look at the meter and out of the window?

Having said that, it doesn't really satisfy the controls being "like a spaceship". It could have simply been hyperbole. The only spaceshippy thing I can think of that really fits with and helps advance Elon Musk's Automate Everything approach is to have a HUD. They might simply not have it ready yet.

I like Tesla's screen-based user interface. It's far easier to use and much more intuitive than any other car on the market. You don't need all those buttons and crap.

It's the little ergonomic things that are sometimes lacking. While I really like the Model S front floor "bin" - incredibly handy - I miss having some storage in the doors, and of course everyone complains about the cupholders (including me). Why doesn't the driver's seat roll back when you park to make it easier to get in/out?

Reactions: davidc18