Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla really took a month to register my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,

So I just got my "Notice of Incomplete Application for CAV Decals" today, and looks like there weren't any reasons on if using the temp plates are not allowed, but rather that Tesla didn't even completely register my car...

I did not get my plates yet, nor my registration at the time of this post.

Here's how the time line went for my CAV decals process:

Picked up car (Tesla Buena Park location) - 1/18
Mailed CAV decal application and check (with temp plate and VIN) - 2/10
Received "Notice of Incomplete Application for CAV Decals" (with date stamp of 2/25) - 3/7...

Two of the reasons why it didn't process through was:
- The dealership has started the process to register the vehicle in your name, but it is incomplete. Please resubmit the application after a registration card is issued in your name.
- Records indicate there is a pending transaction on file as of 02/20/2020. Please resubmit your application once the transaction has been completed.

Did Tesla really took a f**king month to start the process to register my car? This is absolutely ridiculous. Tried calling Tesla Buena Park, no one answered today on a Saturday. What else should I do and how should I go about this?

It doesn't sound like you did it right. You have to wait for your real plates before you can do it. It takes FOREVER. I picked up car Dec 26th, applied for decals as soon as my plates arrived and only just got the decals last weekend. Feb 29.

It doesn't have anything to do with Tesla... Unless they're delaying somehow in getting you your plates.

You have to wait for your real plates before you can do it.

You do not have to wait for your real plates to arrive before applying for CA HOV stickers. I applied shortly after taking delivery of my Model 3 using just the VIN; my stickers and metal plates arrived at roughly the same time. I called the DMV office in Sac to make sure this wouldn't cause any issues and their CSR told me as long as the car was registered in my name, they would process the application using just the VIN.

E00A9AEC-641C-4762-9067-598DDF09784C.jpeg

Not much you can do I think on a Sunday.

I waited back in 2018 when I bought my car to apply for the HOV stickers until my plates arrived. Back then there were people who applied before that and got their application kicked out forcing them to reapply. To give you an idea back then what the wait was like car was delivered 9/23 and received my license plates and registration card from DMV on 10/11. My title came on 10/17. I didn't apply for my HOV stickers however until after 1/1/19 wanting to get an extra full year of use from them. I would think you should have had your license plates already though.

I would see if DMV shows the license plates being mailed out. I'm going to guess the incomplete from the DMV on your stickers is because you filled out the form with a temp plate.

Oh and back in 2018 Tesla used a service to process the registrations, not done by Tesla itself. No idea if they still use a service or not. Recall some people with issues and Tesla had to contact the service to get a status. Might be easier to check with DMV, but not sure. I heard they were overwhelmed with trying to process all those new Real IDs in addition to all the regular DMV paperwork for licenses, title transfers etc. they typically handled. California DMV scrambles to get millions of residents through Real ID process

Last edited:
They took a month for me in Miami, since it was taking too long I called DMV and I was told Tesla haven't filed anything yet (that was back in April 2019), so I called Tesla and they told me there were too busy and taking too long, that it should be processed in the next few days. Then a couple of days later I finally got my new plate and registration car...

You need to wait until Tesla pays the fees..that's the final step in getting the car into your name. For me, the timeline was:

12/13/2019 - ordered
12/29/2019 - picked up car
01/17/2020 - Fees posted to DMV (per AAA)
02/08/2020 - CAV form & check mailed (with no plate listed, just VIN)
02/18/2020 - Plates arrived
02/22/2020 - CAV check stamped (on back)
02/27/2020 - CAV check cleared bank
03/02/2020 - CAV decals arrived

So I think as long as I had gotten the form to the DMV *after* 01/17/2020 (and I did), I'd have been ok.