Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the matte 3 get darker after the reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, it looks like matte prototype Model 3 was a grey, gun metal matte color on reveal night; however, the photos of the car in the days that followed show a much darker matte black color. The door handles show that it is indeed the same car in both sets of photos.

What do you think? I prefer the lighter matte color.

Reveal night:

rMqSRuM.jpg

X5SUE4t.jpg

XnkH8MK.jpg

Days after:

MszpjXk.jpg

8El7bdN.jpg

Lgwip6W.jpg

Last edited:
That's as crazy as the red at the reveal....that stage lighting did bizarre things. Sometimes it looked like MultiCoat Red, others like the Signature Red (which is my hope for final color). Still in others it looked almost orange.

But yes....those post reveals are the most impressive Dark Matte.....as opposed to the grey in the reveal which looks silver in one of your shots.

Ski

While I don't like the matte black, looking at those interior shots do make me realize I might like the dark interior for the first time in my life. I normally always get tan or grey seats, and never black due to heat, but that does look nicer than the white to me.

When photographing a grey object the light metering mode of the camera and other information in the frame + lighting conditions will make a huge difference. Something that's 18% grey (a standard grey used in photography) can look almost whitevor almost black depending on exposure. I don't think they changed the actual car.

BTW the matte is so sexy. I heard Elon say that they were thinking of bringing the matte color to production.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperOmega