Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you already hear about this problem of locked steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the steering column replacement does not solve the problem. Probably some intermittent wiring fault.
One of my friends had the steering lock up on him last week while parked. A power off and on cycle fixed that problem ( hopefully ).
Had this last summer immediately after a supercharge session, driving home to Holland from Italy. Power off and on cycles wouldn't fix it. Car was towed to Dusseldorf service center during the weekend with work started on the next Monday. Apparently, as it was told to me, once the service engineers started their work the power steering was already back working as normal spontaneously. Nothing could be found.
Service center told me this could not happen while driving, which is obviously wrong, taken from the vid posted above. Quite scary. I've had a similar issue with a Peugeot years back while making a strong turn on the highway. The car could still be handled and driven to the next exit. With the Tesla however, that would have been really hard, with its high weight and bigger wheels (and in my case, five persons and too much luggage boarded).
One comment in favor of Tesla technology though: the tow truck driver told me these issues are quite common with German cars and he has to pick them up every week. It's always the electronics, he said.
(And then of course Tesla did an excellent job making good afterwards, which I haven't seen from ... and from ... et cetera).

Yes it's scary . My wife had this around 15 years ago on the highway with a Chrysler voyager, but like you she could drive up to the exit ( where she just was at the moment it stops ) . The bad think and this step is that they changed it already. Hope this is not a common issue on new models.

One comment in favor of Tesla technology though: the tow truck driver told me these issues are quite common with German cars and he has to pick them up every week. It's always the electronics, he said.
That would explain a lot, because as far as I know the steering rack in a Tesla is made by ZF (which is a German company, nowadays owned by Bosch).

I found this article which confirms that ZF is a Tesla supplier: Details Bosch Automotive Steering

I'm not sure whether the electronics are also ZF. Some electronics are made by Tesla of course, but maybe some problematic electronics are made by ZF as well, that's a possibility.