Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you do a test drive before you drive out of the delivery center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never really nitpicked over any car. Honda, Acura, Dodge, Toyota, BMW M3.

Sure, I found tiny marks in them a week later. Who knows if they were factory or caused by me.

Neither have I BUT there should be concerns when you see something like this on a Model 3 exiting the factory well past the point where employees have received their cars. The fundamentals of the Model 3 appear to be sound but there is opportunity for improvement. What is unclear (because of the few products on display) is 'IS THIS SORT OF THING BY DESIGN'?

The A-Pillar meeting the front fender. The door has been opened.

p1250504.jpg

Enough With the Negatives: What Do the Auto Industry's Good Panel Gaps Look Like?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: C141medic and DR61
One thing I’ve noticed, looking at my own car and pictures here, is that the perception of panel misalignment and gaps is highly angle and zoom/frame of reference dependent. Not saying there aren’t problems, just that it may be tough to judge from single photos.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
In the last 20 years I have ordered custom configured cars about 6 times. Most of the time I have tested other examples of more generic versions of the model that dealers had in stock, but nothing with the configuration I ordered. I didn't test drive any the cars I ordered when they came in before signing the papers. I did inspect for scratches and finish problems, but I have never looked at panel gaps and I never will. All the cars met my expectations. Brands included BMW, Porsche, Volvo, Mini, Nissan, Ford, GMC, and VW. Occasionally there were a few mechanical issues that I had corrected in subsequent dealer visits, but no major problems.

I will try to get a Model 3 test drive if available in the next 3-5 months before I expect a configure invitation. But if not I will still take the car I order without a test drive. I have read more than enough reviews to know that the car will be suitable for my preferences. I trust Tesla service to fix any issues. Perfection is not expected on any mass produced car.

Reactions: Brando