Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you do a test drive before you drive out of the delivery center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will be very, very few people who will refuse delivery of this car in it's first year, I think. That said, if it does happen and the customer has a legitimate grief and makes a big enough stink, Tesla will probably let you off the hook. They have more than enough people in the queue to take the car.

Reactions: Sweet OJ and Brando
There will be very, very few people who will refuse delivery of this car in it's first year, I think. That said, if it does happen and the customer has a legitimate grief and makes a big enough stink, Tesla will probably let you off the hook. They have more than enough people in the queue to take the car.

There's a difference between refusing delivery of the car as it is due to problems that need to be fixed first, and refusing outright. The latter will be rare. The former should probably be much more common than it is.

Reactions: Brando
There's a difference between refusing delivery of the car as it is due to problems that need to be fixed first, and refusing outright. The latter will be rare. The former should probably be much more common than it is.
Can't ask for a warranty repair if you don't own it, right?
Refusing a product for flaws is well within your rights/expectations. Be polite, Tesla WANTS satisfied customers.

Can't ask for a warranty repair if you don't own it, right?
Refusing a product for flaws is well within your rights/expectations. Be polite, Tesla WANTS satisfied customers.

Despite what my posting here might sometimes indicate, I'm a paragon of politeness generally. When it comes to matters like this, there are minor things for which I'd still take delivery with a due bill, but anything significant I would want fixed before I take delivery. Missing J1772 adapter? Yeah whatever just ship me one. Damaged paint? Probably going to be less enthusiastic about taking it.

Reactions: McHoffa and Brando
I would not want to buy a car that someone else has test-driven and refused. And so I would not expect to be allowed to test-drive the car I'm about to buy. Once you sign the papers and drive away, it's your car. They'll make repairs as needed, but you can no longer refuse the car. (Unless it turns out to be a lemon under the laws of your state, province, or country.) This is the case with any car. With a brand-new model there's some risk buying early. I'm willing to take this risk with Tesla. I would take the same risk with Honda or Toyota if they were making a car I wanted. (I ordered my 2004 Prius --first year of the model -- in November of 2003 and took delivery in January of 2004. Never had any problems.) There are other car makers I would not trust enough to buy early in a model.

However, there is always a risk with a new model. I highly recommend that everyone postpone, so that I can get mine sooner. :)

I would not want to buy a car that someone else has test-driven and refused. And so I would not expect to be allowed to test-drive the car I'm about to buy. Once you sign the papers and drive away, it's your car. They'll make repairs as needed, but you can no longer refuse the car. (Unless it turns out to be a lemon under the laws of your state, province, or country.) This is the case with any car. With a brand-new model there's some risk buying early. I'm willing to take this risk with Tesla. I would take the same risk with Honda or Toyota if they were making a car I wanted. (I ordered my 2004 Prius --first year of the model -- in November of 2003 and took delivery in January of 2004. Never had any problems.) There are other car makers I would not trust enough to buy early in a model.

However, there is always a risk with a new model. I highly recommend that everyone postpone, so that I can get mine sooner. :)

Yeah I don't necessarily expect to take a shakedown cruise before I sign. I do, however, expect to be left alone for a few minutes with a high powered light and my checklist while I make sure things are good to go before I sign.

Reactions: Colasec and bhzmark
Yeah I don't necessarily expect to take a shakedown cruise before I sign. I do, however, expect to be left alone for a few minutes with a high powered light and my checklist while I make sure things are good to go before I sign.

They might not leave you alone, but I'm sure you'll be able to examine the car carefully. You'll probably have to bring your own high-powered light. I doubt they'll have one available. ;)

Reactions: Brando
They might not leave you alone, but I'm sure you'll be able to examine the car carefully. You'll probably have to bring your own high-powered light. I doubt they'll have one available. ;)

Oh yes, that was not clear in my post. I've got this thing that is like one step removed from the death star beam. Yeah I don't mean I want them to actually leave, but I'm one of those people who, when focused on something, just wants to do the thing and can't talk at the same time :)

Reactions: Sweet OJ
You should probably be able to take as much time as you need. We took over an hour (low VIN Model X) and they were with us most of the time. Some others at the same time took over two hours. They would come back and check with them periodically. So unless you are picking your car up near closing time, I think you should be OK.

You will be able to check all the fit and finish things and also items like the A/C etc but you won't get to test any of the driving things of course until you sign the delivery document and it's then yours.

Seems like ya'll ar gonna drive off with the car regardless of what you find in your "inspection". So... Why waste time at the delivery center...take the car home and do a more intimate inspection.

For the folks that inspect and find an issue at the delivery center...what are you gonna do...have them fix before you sign papers? Refuse delivery and wait for another build? Any other options?

Seems like ya'll ar gonna drive off with the car regardless of what you find in your "inspection". So... Why waste time at the delivery center...take the car home and do a more intimate inspection.

For the folks that inspect and find an issue at the delivery center...what are you gonna do...have them fix before you sign papers? Refuse delivery and wait for another build? Any other options?

Depending on the issues, at the very minimum I want them on the due bill so they're documented and there's no chance of BS about "it wasn't like that when you took it". For minor things, once they're documented and agreed by Tesla I'll take off.

For significant things, I might want them fixed before I take it, in which case I'd ask them to reschedule a new date with me when the car is ready.

So...if there is a deal breaker issue. ...what are the options to refuse delivery? Can one get back in line for a different VIN?

Just my guess here: If you are raising a stink about a minor issue they'll offer to fix it before you take delivery. For a really major issue that they missed (unlikely) they'd probably offer you the next unassigned car with your choice of options. If you refuse delivery on a minor issue that they can fix, and you insist on a different car, they'd be within their rights to put you at the back of the line.

Again, just my guess here, but I think it would depend on how serious the issue is and whether they agree with you on the seriousness. You, of course, could just walk away and ask for your deposit back, and I'm sure they would honor that request. After all, they'll still sell the car unless the issue is really serious, in which case they'd have given you a different car.

As run-the-joules says, the reason for the inspection is to document any issues you find. Maybe you find a tiny chip on the paint. The only way to establish without any doubt that you didn't cause it, is to point it out before you drive away. I will probably be too excited to do more than walk around it once when it comes off the truck. (No delivery center in Spokane, and I'm not driving it home from Seattle over the mountain passes in winter.)

It appears the majority of the people buying Teslas are willing to forgo their consumer rights and take delivery of a car without a brief test drive or thorough inspection of the vehicle to ensure quality control took place at the factory and delivery center. The cost to deliver the car to the store or center is not free and Tesla charges for preparing the car for sale.

Yet many will come into this forum with a list of nitpicks to share. If only 10% of the buying customers would withhold final payment until clearly visible issues are fixed, Tesla would do better. Seeing people glowing about their new Model 3 when the pictures show misaligned trim and frunks is a sad commentary on immediate gratification.