Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you feel that? The rapid acceleration of depreciation of your P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you sell your P85+?

OTE=texex91;781552]Yep just like any car when the newest shiny version comes out.

I took at bath when I sold my P85+ last year before this one, I'm glad I did now.

Think I'll order a p85D--it looks sweeeeeeeet (plus NEW seats finally!)[/QUOTE]

Nay, I don't feel it. Mine is exactly the same as when I took delivery six months ago. I'm also happy that Tesla moved the bar much higher so my next Tesla down the road will be even better than even the car they ship next month. Tesla is not like any other auto companies. There is no scheduled release but intead they will always make the best car they know how at the moment.

What I'm interested in, and haven't seen mentioned anywhere (even here), is the cause for the bump from 416hp to 470hp. It's unsurprising that the P85D has dominated the conversation, but the did the existing P85 see a bump? Or did they just revise the specs? We've long suspected they substantially under-rated the output of the P85.

I decided to call Tesla NA Sales directly and they confirmed that trading in a Tesla is handled differently than other vehicles. They (Tesla, not AutoNation) put together the trade-in quote.

I filled out the form last night :) they called today, they ask the mileage, condition, what add-ons you've done, etc, then they said my local service center would contact me with the quote. It was a rep from Tesla I spoke with. Honestly, I'm not expecting the quote to be very much, my S85 was delivered in Jan 2013, and I have 21,000 miles on it. The numbers I've heard are "deduct $1,000 per month of ownership, and $1/mile" (as a rough estimate), that deducts about $42K from the $90K I paid, I'm not even sure the offer will be $48K... we'll see. I still owe $ on the car as well (Home Equity loan), so it's probably not too practical. Might just have to wait for a Model X AWD in 2016

I filled out the form last night :) they called today, they ask the mileage, condition, what add-ons you've done, etc, then they said my local service center would contact me with the quote. It was a rep from Tesla I spoke with. Honestly, I'm not expecting the quote to be very much, my S85 was delivered in Jan 2013, and I have 21,000 miles on it. The numbers I've heard are "deduct $1,000 per month of ownership, and $1/mile" (as a rough estimate), that deducts about $42K from the $90K I paid, I'm not even sure the offer will be $48K... we'll see. I still owe $ on the car as well (Home Equity loan), so it's probably not too practical. Might just have to wait for a Model X AWD in 2016

My understanding is that formula is their retail formula they use to lower the price of loaner/demonstrater vehicles. So I'd expect it to be lower than that if they're trying to make anything off the resale.

I'm so glad you posted that Mitch, I wondered myself the viability of trading up from a fairly new purchase.

I finally broke down and ordered our MS earlier this year because I had grown impatient waiting for the Model X, for what seemed like years. I said at the time I'm buying what they have to sell me today and I'll deal with the future when we get there. Well, with the release of the P85D, that future, for me at least, just arrived.

I took delivery of our loaded P85+ on March 29th, 2014 (vin:340xx) and we've driven just under 6000 miles in the six months since taking delivery. The first thing I thought last night was I'd happily pay a reasonable penalty to trade in this very new and capable automobile for a similarly fully loaded P85D(+). My primary long distance commute is a 200 or so mile highway drive from north Lake Tahoe NV to San Francisco and back and my other commute is a near 200 mile highway trip from Tahoe to rural Nevada and back, often in snowy winter. If I could eventually do any or all of that on autopilot, I'd be in heaven. And AWD makes for stress free winters around here. I had been doing my best to ignore the fact our car is only 2WD, was going to address that when the snow finally arrived.

A trade-in would soften the blow of paying sales tax again. When you trade in, you only pay tax on the new amount, not the whole amount. I think we just paid more than $10,000 in sales tax for the MS, so being able to escape paying the full sales tax again through a trade-in credit would definitely reduce the pain a bit.

Finally, I very much look forward to Tesla producing the (AWD) Model X, which we made a sizable deposit on February 1st 2014, same time we ordered the S. I will assume that it will also have the autopilot technologies integrated. I can't imagine them shipping any car now without having these as factory options.

A trade-in would soften the blow of paying sales tax again. When you trade in, you only pay tax on the new amount, not the whole amount. I think we just paid more than $10,000 in sales tax for the MS, so being able to escape paying the full sales tax again through a trade-in credit would definitely reduce the pain a bit.
Note that this is only true in some states. If your location tag is correct, buy in Nevada, which has the credit, instead of California, which does not.

What I'm interested in, and haven't seen mentioned anywhere (even here), is the cause for the bump from 416hp to 470hp. It's unsurprising that the P85D has dominated the conversation, but the did the existing P85 see a bump? Or did they just revise the specs? We've long suspected they substantially under-rated the output of the P85.

I think they just revised the specs because the 0-60 is the same on the non "D" p85 models according to their site.

I'm fairly certain they'll give you a lot more than $48k, and if they don't, I'm sure a PP sale would be better than that.

Pfff, a manufacurer can never do it right for everyone. The thing is your current car has not changed at all. It still has all the same features and performance as a week ago. Nothing changed. So just enjoy your baby like you did a week ago.
If you bought a car for the resale value you should not have bought a car at all! We all know things like did will happen. it will happen in the future too when the X comes along, a better battery pack etc.
A manufacturer has to introduce new features it at some point. What do you expect? Retrofit free for anybody who took delivery two weeks prior? Than the guys who took delivery three weeks ago start whining. Please them too? Then the guys who took delivery before that start whining again etc. Just don't think about it and enjoy your new S60, S85, P85 (+).

I realize the topic is on depreciation of the P85, but what are your thoughts on the S85?

I'm thinking that with hardly any performance change between the S85 and S85D that it will be an issue, but less of one than that for the P cars with such a big performance difference and on a car that is geared towards performance enthusiasts.

I realize the topic is on depreciation of the P85, but what are your thoughts on the S85?

I'm thinking that with hardly any performance change between the S85 and S85D that it will be an issue, but less of one than that for the P cars with such a big performance difference and on a car that is geared towards performance enthusiasts.

I suspect the S85 cars won't take a huge hit because I'd anticipate most of the buyers of these cars won't be in the market for a new car anyway. They're people wanting to buy an S at a lower price. A lot of people ask about S60s and get directed towards buying a used S85 or P85. Now if you wait until S85D cars are on the used market, then you've got a whole different ballgame.

Did you feel that? The rapid acceleration of depreciation of your P85

Yeah. I felt that the moment I drove it off the lot nearly two years ago. True of any car.

A car ain't an asset. It's all depreciation. That's why you've got to extract maximal utility out of it. Now, go drive and have fun!

- - - Updated - - -

My P85 seems to not have felt a thing. It's like new.

You know, that's a good point. Usually after two years an ICE starts feeling a bit older - a bit more rough in the engine, a bit more hesitant in the transmission. No such thing at all in my Model S after nearly two years. It still feels like new.

Interview after interview, Elon has been discussing and hinting at the amazing features in store for Tesla vehicles. It's no secret great (and better) things are on the horizon. If you want one, at some point you have to pull the trigger. In doing so, we all risk something better coming right around the corner. It's going to sting whether it's two weeks after buying your Tesla or two years.