Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you use a Tesla authorized electrician?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you folks who had a charger installed, did you use one listed on Tesla’s website, or did you just find a competent electrician? What were your experiences?

My local authorized electrician is booked out until next year. Not sure if it’s worth the wait or not. He said he could do the install without exposed conduit, whereas another said it’s not possible. I’d rather have the clean install but not sure if it’s worth waiting.

For you folks who had a charger installed, did you use one listed on Tesla’s website, or did you just find a competent electrician? What were your experiences?

My local authorized electrician is booked out until next year. Not sure if it’s worth the wait or not. He said he could do the install without exposed conduit, whereas another said it’s not possible. I’d rather have the clean install but not sure if it’s worth waiting.
I had my new NEMA 14-50 installed this morning by a local part time electrician. It took him less than 60 minutes and he charged me $35. I got his name from a friend that has a Model S. I purchased the 50A breaker and receptacle from amazon, the wire and box from Lowes. My outlet is less than 2 feet from the fuse box. I cant wait to have a car to plug into this new outlet!
I am sure you can find an electrician willing to do an evening or weekend job for a little cash

No, I did not pay the Tesla Tax.

We did not. We are constantly remodeling the house and one time when we had an electrician on site just had them install the Tesla Wall unit. We also had wall boarders and carpenters on-site so they worked together to hide all of the cabling in the walls and ceiling, except the tiny bit at the top of the picture. The end result was very clean.

Tesla HPWC.jpg

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I got quotes from 5 electricians. One of them was on the Tesla recommended list, and this electrician gave me some questionable advice, which I ran by another electrician who said that guy was wrong. I ended up using someone who was not on Tesla's list and he did a good job.

I think Tesla got asked to recommend electricians so much that they hired an intern who just looked up electricians and read their Yelp reviews and made an "approved list".
Bingo! Unless this is something new that I am not aware, there hasn't been an "Authorized" electrician, whatever that means, The is a list of "preferred" or "Suggested" "Recommended" electricians. People should just find their own local electrician with good reviews. It isn't rocket science to hook up one of these things.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
No permit required for a homeowner in MN to do their own work. I'd have to pull a permit to add on to the house or the like, but I can wire it without involving "the man" in my life.
Gee something doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about that. I have processed HUNDREDS of insurance claims (most are denied) in various states where there was a fire die to homeowners doing their own wiring and messing it up. Not sure how Minnesota building department knows the skill level of a homeowner is good enough to make wiring changes without having an inspection by a professional. That's a new one on me, but if they let you do it, then it seems strange to me.

I had one of the “professional” Tesla installers come out and not only did he not do the job as agreed upon, but it turns out all he does is hire independent contractors to do the work, marks it up by 100% and just pockets the money. Then I asked him about how he didn’t do the job as we discussed, he said I should be thankful he wasn’t charging me much more than I was quoted. H

He didn’t even pull a permit for the job.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H