Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still hate that the car design is the same as my 9 year old model.
It may look similar on the outside, but everything under the skin is very different, and very much improved. The difference between driving my 2018 100D and the new 2023 dual motor is striking. The interior is jaw-droppingly gorgeous and better laid out. To me it truly became a luxury car now. The luxury of my 100D was having an electric car. Now it's full of sensual creature comforts.

OMG the improvement in the cabin HVAC. SO much better than my old car. And the seat cooling! Mmm
  • I am assuming that my 2014 Wall Connector and the mobile charging cable (that came standard back in '14) will still work with the new S?
Yes
  • It seems like the consensus here is that FSD is not worth the $12K price. But should I get the enhanced Autopilot at $6K? What does that do beyond my prehistoric Autopilot v1 on my car?
Well, you get Navigate on Autopilot, which is to say, automatic lane changes on the highway, and it takes your exits. It will also stop at stop signs and traffic lights (even if they're green).

I don't yet have my FSD going, waiting on a software update, and I'm really missing it. The FSD Beta code does much better on the highway, and going back to the old code is annoying.

I think if you try the FSD Beta, which you'll probably get to do, you'll enjoy the difference.

I was lucky in that I bought FSD during a short window in 2019 when they were offering it for $2,000. My main reason for triggering a purchase now was getting the FSD transfer free. (Now they just need to activate it for me!)
  • Does the S come with key fobs, key cards, or both? Do people prefer the cards kept in a wallet vs the fob in the pocket?
It comes with key cards, and your phone is a key. Fobs are for sale in the accessory store, but they're out of stock at the moment.
  • The loss of stalks will bug the heck out of me--have folks been able to make the adjustment?
My wife adjusted to it right away. I'm still reaching for a phantom turn signal, but I think in another week, I'll be using the new controls without having to look. I think it'll become second nature.
  • Am I correct that I should ask my buddy who is also thinking of replacing his S to refer me and vice versa? What will that give each of us?
Not sure about this one. I didn't do a referral, but got $1000 self-referral discount.
  • I will certainly miss free supercharging. Having never paid, can someone give me a very rough guess on what, say, a 50% charge (like from 30% to 80%) costs--is it $5, $25, or $50?
30-80% will cost you in the range of $12-$16 or so. It's really not as big a deal as you think.

Resurrecting this thread with a similar question, though in my case, I'm thinking of finally replacing my well-worn 2014 S85. Two years of obsessing (I had deposit on a Taycan--lovely car but just couldn't get past the horrible range and lack of one-pedal driving), then a Lyriq (trying to save $$--but with the price drop on the S, the advantage is minimal and I don't like SUV/crossovers). Latest fantasy was an Audi A6 eTron Avant (I love station wagons) but its vaporware status (maybe next year?) and my anxiety over my ancient (130K miles) S is mounting. So...a Model S LR seems like best option, though I still hate that the car design is the same as my 9 year old model.

The discussion has been very helpful. I have a few more questions:
  • I am assuming that my 2014 Wall Connector and the mobile charging cable (that came standard back in '14) will still work with the new S?
  • It seems like the consensus here is that FSD is not worth the $12K price. But should I get the enhanced Autopilot at $6K? What does that do beyond my prehistoric Autopilot v1 on my car?
  • Does the S come with key fobs, key cards, or both? Do people prefer the cards kept in a wallet vs the fob in the pocket?
  • The loss of stalks will bug the heck out of me--have folks been able to make the adjustment?
  • Am I correct that I should ask my buddy who is also thinking of replacing his S to refer me and vice versa? What will that give each of us?
  • I will certainly miss free supercharging. Having never paid, can someone give me a very rough guess on what, say, a 50% charge (like from 30% to 80%) costs--is it $5, $25, or $50?
thanks!
I have been driving a ms2023 LR for a month now. My 2018 wall connecter works, i recommend that you refer yourself to get the loyalty credit of $500 (please do this carefully, as there can be errors, and triple confirm about the loyalty credit it was $1000 a couple of weeks ago. ) If you refer yourself, i believe you will get FSD and EAP for a 3 month trial, you can then make your decision. The car only comes with cards, i was told keep one in a locked glove box, and use your phone app - phone app works nearly the same as a keyfob. You can purchase a fob, The absent stalks take getting used to, but you can use the screen or the plastic area under the phone charging pad has hidden buttons for D/R/P… A SETTING on the car helps by remembering the direction u are in and will automatically put you in drive or reverse when you reenter your car to assist you and eliminate need for the stalks. Hope it is not part of the fsd trial - i rather like it.The turning signal buttons are adaptable but you need to press them at a certain place, i do prefer sts or to use the screen to put you in D or R. l preferstalks but am adapting. I had the fsd take me home yesterday - pretty amazing. I cant answerSC charging cost, i believe less than $10 from what ive heard. I also am waiting the audi avant - the a4 avant was my first nice car, and loved it. However i will fear that i will miss the smooth tesla tech, and possibly charging network. As you said it is not available yet… keep us posted on what you do. Maybe prices will decrease further!

Good questions. I'll let the more experienced folks here answer them. I just pulled the trigger on a MSP after the price drop, but was sitting on the sidelines for a while.

If you want something different, did you look at the Lucid?
Thanks--I am hoping some of the experts here will chime in with comments on my questions listed above.

Asfor Lucid, yes, thought about it. But a friend of mine took delivery of an early model in Oct '22 and based on his experience I'd stay away. It's a stunning car, though in the two tone finish I find it awkward in person. Cabin is fabulous. Took a brief drive. Very aggressive brake regen. Fabulous acceleration as expected.

But...his was rated at nearly 500 miles of range, and he's unable to make it from Atlanta to Charleston (305 miles) without a charging stop, and that's in summer. So winter range predictably well below 300 miles. But biggest issue is service. He had a battery cooling unit go out. Repair involved trucking the car from Atlanta to Washington DC (nearest service center) and driving a crappy econobox loaner for weeks until returned. That, plus the real possibility that they go bankrupt was enough to keep me away.

Reactions: Dayreg
It may look similar on the outside, but everything under the skin is very different, and very much improved. The difference between driving my 2018 100D and the new 2023 dual motor is striking. The interior is jaw-droppingly gorgeous and better laid out. To me it truly became a luxury car now. The luxury of my 100D was having an electric car. Now it's full of sensual creature comforts.

OMG the improvement in the cabin HVAC. SO much better than my old car. And the seat cooling! Mmm

Yes

Well, you get Navigate on Autopilot, which is to say, automatic lane changes on the highway, and it takes your exits. It will also stop at stop signs and traffic lights (even if they're green).

I don't yet have my FSD going, waiting on a software update, and I'm really missing it. The FSD Beta code does much better on the highway, and going back to the old code is annoying.

I think if you try the FSD Beta, which you'll probably get to do, you'll enjoy the difference.

I was lucky in that I bought FSD during a short window in 2019 when they were offering it for $2,000. My main reason for triggering a purchase now was getting the FSD transfer free. (Now they just need to activate it for me!)

It comes with key cards, and your phone is a key. Fobs are for sale in the accessory store, but they're out of stock at the moment.

My wife adjusted to it right away. I'm still reaching for a phantom turn signal, but I think in another week, I'll be using the new controls without having to look. I think it'll become second nature.

Not sure about this one. I didn't do a referral, but got $1000 self-referral discount.

30-80% will cost you in the range of $12-$16 or so. It's really not as big a deal as you think.
Thanks! Ask and you shall receive. Great info, much appreciated.

Resurrecting this thread with a similar question, though in my case, I'm thinking of finally replacing my well-worn 2014 S85. Two years of obsessing (I had deposit on a Taycan--lovely car but just couldn't get past the horrible range and lack of one-pedal driving), then a Lyriq (trying to save $$--but with the price drop on the S, the advantage is minimal and I don't like SUV/crossovers). Latest fantasy was an Audi A6 eTron Avant (I love station wagons) but its vaporware status (maybe next year?) and my anxiety over my ancient (130K miles) S is mounting. So...a Model S LR seems like best option, though I still hate that the car design is the same as my 9 year old model.

The discussion has been very helpful. I have a few more questions:
thanks!
My experience:
Any prior tesla wall connector will work. My understanding is that it is common for wall connectors of all brands to ladt about 10 years before needing replacememt. So depending on how much use yours has gotten, it may be time to replace soon anyway.

I purchased Enhanced AP, tontake advantage of Navigate on Autopilot, which is basically self driving (supervised) on the highway. (Auto lane changes, freeway interchange navigation, etc). In the future, smart summon may become available...that will be a bonus. Not that if you purchase enhanced AP, the subscription cost for FSD is only $100 per month. Without enhanced AP, subscrribing to FSD is $200/mo. I ham happy with my decision.

It comes with key cards, no FOBs. (But you can purchase FOBs.) I just keep the card in my wallet for backup or valet, and use my phone as the key.

I have gotten aclimated to stalkles riving and now prefer it.

Charging costs vary widey by location and time of day. Model S is about 100 kwH battery pack. So "filling up" (0 to 100%) can cost anywhere between $7 and about $46 (generally the most expensive supercharging rates I have seen)

My experience:
Any prior tesla wall connector will work. My understanding is that it is common for wall connectors of all brands to ladt about 10 years before needing replacememt. So depending on how much use yours has gotten, it may be time to replace soon anyway.

I purchased Enhanced AP, tontake advantage of Navigate on Autopilot, which is basically self driving (supervised) on the highway. (Auto lane changes, freeway interchange navigation, etc). In the future, smart summon may become available...that will be a bonus. Not that if you purchase enhanced AP, the subscription cost for FSD is only $100 per month. Without enhanced AP, subscrribing to FSD is $200/mo. I ham happy with my decision.

It comes with key cards, no FOBs. (But you can purchase FOBs.) I just keep the card in my wallet for backup or valet, and use my phone as the key.

I have gotten aclimated to stalkles riving and now prefer it.

Charging costs vary widey by location and time of day. Model S is about 100 kwH battery pack. So "filling up" (0 to 100%) can cost anywhere between $7 and about $46 (generally the most expensive supercharging rates I have seen)
Joey, thanks for the info. The subscription for FSD seems pretty reasonable since it would take 10 years of subscribing before I hit the $12K cost of purchase (absent present value of money, I get it...). And FSD upgrade would be purely software, right--the MS would have all the hardware needed to upgrade via subscription?

I agree with @mikeeus and@ joey above about the differences. Remember, if you refer to yourself and have the loyalty credits, you will also have an opportunity to try the FSD to determine the value to you. Furthermore, purchasing after you buy may be financially advantageous as you do not pay tax and license/registration on the FSD. Go for it! Just received a text from a friend who upgraded from 2016 MS and is super happy. Now is the time.

When exactly were all the changes mentioned in the first post, made to the Model S? Are these only for 2023 or last year too?

Trying to get an idea when the used market might start showing these newer ones.

I just sold my old 2016 last week for a 2023 LR. Here's a summary of all the things we noticed.

1. Right off, wife said she MUCH prefers the new seats on this car. She was never a fan of the shape of the old seats and complained of neck pain on it. The new one took away all of that - 10 seconds in the seat in the showroom and she declared her blessings for the plan to sell the old car, the day after the price cut was announced. And the seats are ventilated!
2. The climate control system is vastly superior. The old one was at best anemic whether at heating or cooling. Haven't tried the heating, but the cooling is excellent.
3. The interior is definitely several notches better than a 2016, which wasn't quite luxury inside. It still isn't a high end Porsche or Audi, but it's solid and just the fact that it had door pockets was enough to win the other half over. It was the second thing she noticed after the comfort of the seat.
4. The steering wheel is a different feel. My first instinct is that I prefer the more substantial feel of the old one, but over the past few days I realized I'll just get used to it. The new one has a more contoured shape.
5. Not yet sold on buttons to open doors, but wife declared she prefers them so the conversation ended there.
6. The standard regen is a LOT stronger than in the 2016. I like it, but it can definitely catch you off guard initially. It surprised me just pulling out of the lot while buying the car - I'd not test driven any newer Tesla in years. Probably not so surprising to those who've driven a 3 or Y .
7. I've had very little trouble keeping to rated miles in both city and some highway driving. Planning a longer road trip sometime soon to get a sense of 100+ mi drive cruising speed efficiency.
8. The sound system is noticeably better on the new one. I didn't get the high definition sound on the old one tho.
9. I'd much rather take stalks over the turn buttons. Even with the buttons I'd prefer them positioned horizontally rather than the awkward vertical one. The muscle memory will work itself out over time.
10. Lack of fobs. Cmon, just let the buyer choose that at car purchase time instead of making them buy it separately; it's been sold out on the online store every time I look. I'm old fashioned that way, and this is reasonable - I'm not asking for a hand crank starter.
11. Talking of things sold out - both the glass roof and rear liftgate sunshades are sold out too. The MS accessory offerings just aren't so well managed anymore - the 3 and Y seem to be the cynosure of attention.
12. Not sure how good the Conti ProContact RX OEM tires are. They're fine in the dry California weather now. Remains to be seen how they do in rain and snow later this year. They seem to get fair ratings on TireRack for snow performance, which isn't promising.

The interior is definitely several notches better than a 2016, which wasn't quite luxury inside. It still isn't a high end Porsche or

Great summary, this helps as I also had a 2016 S75D which I sold 2 years ago for a 2022 Macan. It will be interesting when I go for a test drive with the new S. To be honest, (and I wasn't expecting this) I wouldn't call Porsche interior as gold standard for quality after having lived with one for almost 2 years. Lots of small rattles and squeaks and tech-wise it's vastly inferior to any other even lower end car out there. The way it handles is another thing but that alone unfortunately does not make up for all the minuses.

Reactions: suraj1194
I just sold my old 2016 last week for a 2023 LR. Here's a summary of all the things we noticed.

1. Right off, wife said she MUCH prefers the new seats on this car. She was never a fan of the shape of the old seats and complained of neck pain on it. The new one took away all of that - 10 seconds in the seat in the showroom and she declared her blessings for the plan to sell the old car, the day after the price cut was announced. And the seats are ventilated!
2. The climate control system is vastly superior. The old one was at best anemic whether at heating or cooling. Haven't tried the heating, but the cooling is excellent.
3. The interior is definitely several notches better than a 2016, which wasn't quite luxury inside. It still isn't a high end Porsche or Audi, but it's solid and just the fact that it had door pockets was enough to win the other half over. It was the second thing she noticed after the comfort of the seat.
4. The steering wheel is a different feel. My first instinct is that I prefer the more substantial feel of the old one, but over the past few days I realized I'll just get used to it. The new one has a more contoured shape.
5. Not yet sold on buttons to open doors, but wife declared she prefers them so the conversation ended there.
6. The standard regen is a LOT stronger than in the 2016. I like it, but it can definitely catch you off guard initially. It surprised me just pulling out of the lot while buying the car - I'd not test driven any newer Tesla in years. Probably not so surprising to those who've driven a 3 or Y .
7. I've had very little trouble keeping to rated miles in both city and some highway driving. Planning a longer road trip sometime soon to get a sense of 100+ mi drive cruising speed efficiency.
8. The sound system is noticeably better on the new one. I didn't get the high definition sound on the old one tho.
9. I'd much rather take stalks over the turn buttons. Even with the buttons I'd prefer them positioned horizontally rather than the awkward vertical one. The muscle memory will work itself out over time.
10. Lack of fobs. Cmon, just let the buyer choose that at car purchase time instead of making them buy it separately; it's been sold out on the online store every time I look. I'm old fashioned that way, and this is reasonable - I'm not asking for a hand crank starter.
11. Talking of things sold out - both the glass roof and rear liftgate sunshades are sold out too. The MS accessory offerings just aren't so well managed anymore - the 3 and Y seem to be the cynosure of attention.
12. Not sure how good the Conti ProContact RX OEM tires are. They're fine in the dry California weather now. Remains to be seen how they do in rain and snow later this year. They seem to get fair ratings on TireRack for snow performance, which isn't promising.

Great summary too. I share your sentiments about the
- The steering wheel prefer the one in my 100D 2018
- A/C is better now
- Front and passanger door pockets

More thoughts to share:
- Stereo was great in my 2018 with the premium upgrade I purchased, I even compared side by side, and preferred the 2018, now getting accustomed to this one in the 2023.
- Now they have hooks for clothes, drycleaning in back!
- My Tesla mats all weather OEM - trunk and the deep pocket in back fit in my new 2023 - have yet to try the front and back seat mats to see if they fit too.
- tilting screen is super nice too
- I find it harder to scroll to next song with hitting the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel, then the button on my 2018 - this is a pain, I am always muting. Maybe I am too weak??!!
- Miss the front camera, as I always used to gage my parking to avoid htting a car in front, wall or whatever - they say the front windshield camera can help, but can see from the simulation on the screen it is way off.
- I don’t care for the whining noise in the motors upon acceleration
- There is also a electronic hum from the screen don’t love, but can not hear when driving or stereo on
- The ride to me doesn’t feel as smooth? My 2018 car is gone now, so can not compare side by side.
- love the glass roof transparancy with excellent sun protection too.
- You can now add roof racks, I could not easily do this on my 2018
- Dont love the tailgate alignment issues, not as severe in my 2018 (not noticeable in the 2018 at all)
- The delivery of the new vehicle is not a special event like with my 2018
- FSD is a lot more costly then when I purchased in 2018, however EAP is the same.

Enjoying hearing the comparisons.

Yes

I realized I also bought the FSD for 2K in 2019, and also put 2K into TSLA at the same time - very grateful!

I have a 2023 S LR for an overnight test drive right now. Very much improved from my 2017 S100D. Really struggling if I upgrade or stick with current car. The initial trade offer is $20k (was hit in a parking lot, so I declared one accident). May just keep mine another 2-3 years.

The FSD transfer is the only real reason I’m considering.

I have a 2023 S LR for an overnight test drive right now. Very much improved from my 2017 S100D. Really struggling if I upgrade or stick with current car. The initial trade offer is $20k (was hit in a parking lot, so I declared one accident). May just keep mine another 2-3 years.

I hear you. I had a hard time letting go of my 2018 100D. I was in tears when I let go of it. That car took us on three full trips across and around the country.

Reactions: aerodyne

I too had a 2017 Model S 100D (52k miles). Tesla offered $26k. KBB gave me $7k more! I'd submit to them, along with Carvana, CarMax, etc. I did all this last month when I bought my Model S Plaid (with a $10,000 inventory discount, but before the $20,000 discount!).

I too had a 2017 Model S 100D (52k miles). Tesla offered $26k. KBB gave me $7k more! I'd submit to them, along with Carvana, CarMax, etc. I did all this last month when I bought my Model S Plaid (with a $10,000 inventory discount, but before the $20,000 discount!).
And to add insult…. The replace battery fuse warning popped up in my car when we returned the demo. Ugh.

Both the trunk and frunk are shallower in the 2023 than in my 2016. I looked it up:

2016 Tesla Model S/Cargo volume
26.3 ft³, 60.2 to 63.4 ft³ with seat area

2023 Tesla Model S/Cargo volume
25 ft³, 64.6 ft³ with seat area

The higher volume with seat down is probably on account of the slightly greater length and width of the new car.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne and brkaus