Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences Between Mid-2018 Model S and Mid-2023 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both the trunk and frunk are shallower in the 2023 than in my 2016. I looked it up:

2016 Tesla Model S/Cargo volume
26.3 ft³, 60.2 to 63.4 ft³ with seat area

2023 Tesla Model S/Cargo volume
25 ft³, 64.6 ft³ with seat area

The higher volume with seat down is probably on account of the slightly greater length and width of the new car.
Do you have the 21 inch or 19 inch wheels? Do you notice any change in feel of the ride?

Suspension setting makes a BIG difference. Comfort = bouncy, sport = tight. Auto does a really good job balancing them. And that's with 21s (which I definitely prefer!).
I’d believe that from my 90 miles or so. The silly thing kept changing back to other defaults each time I got back in so not sure what o was running each drive. Took me a while to realize it was everything changing.

One more for now: is the yoke heated? 😆 I know, sounds a bit silly saying this out loud but I'd 100% go with the yoke and with all the controls on it being capacitive, driving with gloves in the winter is not going to work.

I did get my software update last night, and have 2023.32.4 now, FSDb 11.4.4. It's just the way I remember it from the 100D. :) I imagine this fork of the code won't get a lot of attention while they're trying to release V12.

Question: I like changing the lane change setting between "Mild" "Average" and "Assertive," but to do it I have to press the right scroll wheel to the side. I haven't been able to do that without a press that disengages autopilot. Is there a trick to it?

I did get my software update last night, and have 2023.32.4 now, FSDb 11.4.4. It's just the way I remember it from the 100D. :) I imagine this fork of the code won't get a lot of attention while they're trying to release V12.

Question: I like changing the lane change setting between "Mild" "Average" and "Assertive," but to do it I have to press the right scroll wheel to the side. I haven't been able to do that without a press that disengages autopilot. Is there a trick to it?
I have not tried that, but I do recall that in order to click the wheels "left and right", it was somewhat counterintuitive in that I was usually more successful if I felt like I was pressing more down and less side to side. Trying to click it left and right while trying hard to "not click down" tended to register a downward click!

I have not tried that, but I do recall that in order to click the wheels "left and right", it was somewhat counterintuitive in that I was usually more successful if I felt like I was pressing more down and less side to side. Trying to click it left and right while trying hard to "not click down" tended to register a downward click!

I think the manual must be out of date. It says you can click left or right to cycle between the different FSD modes, "mild" "average" "assertive". But it doesn't work. I find myself having to go to the control screen to change it, or to select "Minimal lane changes this drive" which is an option I like sometimes -- like when I already know FSD is going to pick wrong lanes for my route.

I did see the "mild" "average" "assertive" menu pop up last night randomly, and I can't figure out how I triggered it!

On my 2018 S 100D I could use the twisty knob on the autopilot stalk to change the setting. (It used to change the following distance setting.)

I think the manual must be out of date. It says you can click left or right to cycle between the different FSD modes, "mild" "average" "assertive". But it doesn't work. I find myself having to go to the control screen to change it, or to select "Minimal lane changes this drive" which is an option I like sometimes -- like when I already know FSD is going to pick wrong lanes for my route.

I did see the "mild" "average" "assertive" menu pop up last night randomly, and I can't figure out how I triggered it!

On my 2018 S 100D I could use the twisty knob on the autopilot stalk to change the setting. (It used to change the following distance setting.)
I was under the impression that the scroll wheel control for assertive settings only applied to steering wheels that had stalks. (Model 3/Y, maybe pre-refresh model S/X?) I don't think my model S ever had control over following distance / assertiveness directly with the scroll wheel.

Update on differences between a 2016 and 2023 after 2 weeks of owning the latter (and managing to sell the former within a couple of days of picking up the new one):
* Getting used to the higher standard regen. I find it better than the one in the old car; it makes for much more effective one pedal driving, though I worry about being rear ended.
* The vision based sensors are adequate for parking in our tight garage space. My nit would be with the squiggly lines of the surroundings on the display, which suggests the car is surrounded by excitable pythons; I don't find it particularly useful, as compared to the more linear view of the surroundings from the USSs on the older car.
* I'm ok with the steering wheel, but would still prefer the old one if that was an option.
* Noticeably quieter cabin interior with better sound deadening, and the sound system is excellent. Our kid loves the rear screen.
* Still a minor chore to use turn signals, and a nagging concern that I just pressed the wrong one. I don't mind a design that's different but doesn't impose such a cognitive load. This one does.
* Haven't tried the FSD demo yet. Coming from AP1, I imagine the car going haywire and finding the nearest lamp post to wrap itself around. Jokes apart, I know my AP cognitive 'sweet spot' after almost 100k miles of AP1 driving, and basic autopilot is all I care for. It's a personal thing - I know others are comfortable with the car being more proactive.
* Tires are nice and quiet. But they haven't been as much as driven through a puddle of water yet.
* Range reliably comes up to 324 miles (80%) each night and the rated range is still really good.
* I miss the trip card and instantaneous Wh/mi data display on the front dash. Hope a software update enables it. Tesla seems to spend less effort on the front dash UI/UX since only the S/X have it.

Yeah, the instant energy display (as opposed to the Energy "app") was fun to watch, even if it wasn't totally useful. :)
Yeah the 'energy tach' wasn't worth much more than the coolness factor, but I always found the trip card useful, able to modulate my driving to keep to the ~273 Wh/mi that corresponded to 100% of rated range, something that wasn't too hard to hit during long drives, except in cold winter weather.