Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Model Ys Manufactured in Austin Vs Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched through the forums and wanted to start an updated thread between these two factories (Austin/Fremont).

1. Unibody cast chassis (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Is it considered better for ride quality or sound?
2. Comfort suspension (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).
3. New paint technique (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Austin has a new booth to hopefully fix quality issues out of Fremont.
4. Matrix projection LED lights (Austin-No/Fremont-Yes). Able to adjust light beams while driving.
5. Magnetic arm rest (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Less moving parts.
6. USS sensors (Austin-No/Fremont-No).

Camera updates?

I've searched through the forums and wanted to start an updated thread between these two factories (Austin/Fremont).

1. Unibody cast chassis (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Is it considered better for ride quality or sound?
2. Comfort suspension (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).
3. New paint technique (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Austin has a new booth to hopefully fix quality issues out of Fremont.
4. Matrix projection LED lights (Austin-No/Fremont-Yes). Able to adjust light beams while driving.
5. Magnetic arm rest (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Less moving parts.
6. USS sensors (Austin-No/Fremont-No).

Camera updates?
1. This is unknown...consensus seems to be that Austin MYLR chassis is same as Fremont with rear casting only but MYAWD uses both front and rear castings along with 4680 structural battery pack
2. Correct
3. Correct...I've yet to see it make a difference...I've read about poor paint out of Austin
4. Correct...but they have no function at this time. They are a slightly better headlight in general but no matrix features.
5. No...I don't think either have this. Only overseas markets (unsure which).
6. Correct

No MY have new camera housings...at least no one has been able to post a photo of their car with them. M3 have them but AFAIK it is just the housing and not a new camera. Certainly people have shown the feeds aren't any different between new and old on M3. Tesla could be binning the data though.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
is there a way to ask/check to be sure that one is getting ATX build?
Only when VIN is assigned. Someone posted they had a VIN from one factory, rejected that one for some reason and then their 2nd VIN was from the other factory (can't remember the order). So location has nothing to do with it. Many people in CA are getting Austin builds. It just depends on what cars are being made at any given time at each factory. For example over the past 2 days a bunch of MSM orders are getting VINs and all out of Austin. Haven't seen any MSM VINs out of Fremont since the price drop.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Only when VIN is assigned. Someone posted they had a VIN from one factory, rejected that one for some reason and then their 2nd VIN was from the other factory (can't remember the order). So location has nothing to do with it. Many people in CA are getting Austin builds. It just depends on what cars are being made at any given time at each factory. For example over the past 2 days a bunch of MSM orders are getting VINs and all out of Austin. Haven't seen any MSM VINs out of Fremont since the price drop.

Great hopefully my 7 seater/ white no other options will be ATX. I will try a free reject 1st since I'm not in a rush. Still cross shopping.

1. This is unknown...consensus seems to be that Austin MYLR chassis is same as Fremont with rear casting only but MYAWD uses both front and rear castings along with 4680 structural battery pack
2. Correct
3. Correct...I've yet to see it make a difference...I've read about poor paint out of Austin
4. Correct...but they have no function at this time. They are a slightly better headlight in general but no matrix features.
6. Correct

No MY have new camera housings...at least no one has been able to post a photo of their car with them. M3 have them but AFAIK it is just the housing and not a new camera. Certainly people have shown the feeds aren't any different between new and old on M3. Tesla could be binning the data though.

RE: 3 TX does have lax VOC laws to CA. Not sure if plant is in ATX city limits, which has strict laws. They might have a booth, but is it being used right/all cars?

Reactions: Rootboy

interesting. i just assume cars at built at factories based on your location.

figured mine will definitely be coming from austin since i'm in texas.

This may not be true. The LR5 has the same built with mega cast in the rear. Only the SRAWD from Austin has mega cast both in front and rear to accommodate the structural battery. It also has different center console (magnetic) as the result.

Reactions: fredzos
2. Correct
6. Correct

I'm wondering if a different battery (2170 vs 4680) will make a difference in whether the vehicle gets the full $7500 tax credit or not.

For those of you who received a VIN, were you notified by text from Tesla or did it just appear in your app replacing the RN number? I check my account twice a day for any updates.
It seems hit or miss, I asked the same question on reddit and some people get a text/email, some people just see it in the app.

You're doing a lot better than most of us if you only check the app twice a day!

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue