Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Model Ys Manufactured in Austin Vs Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up in Austin build NJ yesterday - no mud flaps, no matrix lights . One customer who was picking up Freemont build told me that Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build and he verified by looking behind vehicle but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.

Picked up in Austin build NJ yesterday - no mud flaps, no matrix lights . One customer who was picking up Freemont build told me that Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build and he verified by looking behind vehicle but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.
Yeah, there's a few of us with Austin LR builds that have the new 4D1 motor in it. You can verify by looking at the motor itself to see what type you have:
Screenshot 2023-02-19 10.55.26 PM.png

Also all the LR reported to have this motor have an "F" in the eighth digit of the VIN instead of the typical "E" for LR models. The 4D1 is the replacement to the 3D1/980 motor and is built on hairpin winding instead of wire winding. All the ones I've ran across were built late 2022 (November/December). There's been a few who chimed in with a later date and it seems they have the 980/990 motor so I'm not sure if Austin putting the 4D1 in the LR models was only done for a very short time and they've reverted back to the older 980/990 motor.

Last edited:
I've searched through the forums and wanted to start an updated thread between these two factories (Austin/Fremont).

1. Unibody cast chassis (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Is it considered better for ride quality or sound?
2. Comfort suspension (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).
3. New paint technique (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Austin has a new booth to hopefully fix quality issues out of Fremont.
4. Matrix projection LED lights (Austin-No/Fremont-Yes). Able to adjust light beams while driving.
5. Magnetic arm rest (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Less moving parts.
6. USS sensors (Austin-No/Fremont-No).

Camera updates?
Where is the MYP made? Both Austin & Fremont? How can I use the VIN to find that?

For North America, the MYP is currently built at Fremont. MYP is also built at Berlin Gigafactory for European market. It makes business sense to build "low" volume vehicles at one factory instead of duplicate the work at multiple factories. That's why Model S/X are still built at Fremont only.

Makes sense why my 7 seater Y is being built in Fremont and constantly being pushed back. There are probably more profitable variants cutting in line.

If no delivery by 3/31 I'm canceling for tax credit and hopefully get a $250 refund too.

Makes sense why my 7 seater Y is being built in Fremont and constantly being pushed back. There are probably more profitable variants cutting in line.

If no delivery by 3/31 I'm canceling for tax credit and hopefully get a $250 refund too.
You make way too many assumptions.

No one, outside of Tesla knows if there is or what kind of prioritization goes on at the factories. Saying they move more profitable variants up is silly, since there have also been examples of “less profitable “ trims being delivered around the same time or before the “higher” ones.

Canceling with a 31st cutoff date makes many assumptions. The IRS is said to give guidelines in March, no one said WHEN in March. No one said when the guidelines take effect either. Could be March, could be December. Could even backdate to January if they so choose. And finally, no one is certain WHAT the guidelines even are. Lose, keep or something halfway, who knows. Anyone claiming otherwise, so far is just bullshitting. The real people that know, aren’t talking… though, they might be acting on it.

And finally, the site says, the $250 is non-refundable. So, good luck with that.

Reactions: electricar
You make way too many assumptions.

No one, outside of Tesla knows if there is or what kind of prioritization goes on at the factories. Saying they move more profitable variants up is silly, since there have also been examples of “less profitable “ trims being delivered around the same time or before the “higher” ones.

Canceling with a 31st cutoff date makes many assumptions. The IRS is said to give guidelines in March, no one said WHEN in March. No one said when the guidelines take effect either. Could be March, could be December. Could even backdate to January if they so choose. And finally, no one is certain WHAT the guidelines even are. Lose, keep or something halfway, who knows. Anyone claiming otherwise, so far is just bullshitting. The real people that know, aren’t talking… though, they might be acting on it.

And finally, the site says, the $250 is non-refundable. So, good luck with that.
Speaking of making too many assumptions. How will TSLA handle backdating to January when they clearly advertise a $7.5K rebate? My initial delivery date range was starting 2/23, postponed several times.

1677363246655.png

I'll let my credit card sort out the non refundable part.

Last edited:
Speaking of making too many assumptions. How will TSLA handle backdating to January when they clearly advertise a $7.5K rebate? My initial delivery date range was starting 2/23, postponed several times.

They made their statement based on info they had at the time. If the IRS decides to backdate, that’s not something Tesla can do anything about. If you think Tesla’s at fault for that, then I don’t know what to tell you.

As for your CC… well, they could just as easily say “The terms are clearly defined on when you clicked pay. Rejected.”

Chargeback attempts aren’t always on your side. But you’re free to get yourself blacklisted with Tesla and possibly your own CC.

Last edited:

View attachment 911256

Whats your estimated delivery now? My window also starts with 2/23 but hasnt changed. I wouldnt say anything negative about Tesla on this forum.

Reactions: vickh
Whats your estimated delivery now? My window also starts with 2/23 but hasnt changed. I wouldnt say anything negative about Tesla on this forum.

You catch on pretty quick ;)

it ends on 3/31 to close for comfort for me. Given that I got my SR 3 on the last day of tax credit last time around. Then the DMV showed a registration date of 7/5 which was past deadline. I went with the drive off lot/put into service date for my return but would rather have it sooner this time so it's registered in time.

Some may think March is the dead line for tax credit. It’s not. Unless tesla Corp knows something that the .gov is stating. Putting that March deadline did make people panic buy. Lol

1677465722279.png

1677465792404.png

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Some may think March is the dead line for tax credit. It’s not. Unless tesla Corp knows something that the .gov is stating. Putting that March deadline did make people panic buy. Lol

Not panic buy but "panic deposit", big difference
I do appreciate TSLA sticking their neck out and advertising it on their site with details Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives | Tesla Support . Most other co.s just say talk to your tax guy

Reactions: enemji
Only when VIN is assigned. Someone posted they had a VIN from one factory, rejected that one for some reason and then their 2nd VIN was from the other factory (can't remember the order). So location has nothing to do with it. Many people in CA are getting Austin builds. It just depends on what cars are being made at any given time at each factory. For example over the past 2 days a bunch of MSM orders are getting VINs and all out of Austin. Haven't seen any MSM VINs out of Fremont since the price drop.
That just happened to me. First VIN was Austin, did not take it since I want to hear tomorrow’s Tesla News. Second assigned VIN is Fremont for delivery next week. If the MY gets major changes I won’t take delivery. Have already a 2022 Y

According to my Tesla rep, my MY LR built in Fremont 48h ago is missing cargo cover and is "incompatible with this feature".
They stated that they were "unaware of major differences like that other than the inclusion of the Trunk privacy screen from Austin builds."
What puzzled me is that my friend, also in NJ received an Austin car a month ago, and someone said this on Reddit 2 mo ago:
"My Fremont build I picked up last week was in excellent condition. Also came with parcel shelf (cargo cover). A few other very minor things not worth mentioning."

According to my Tesla rep, my MY LR built in Fremont 48h ago is missing cargo cover and is "incompatible with this feature".
They stated that they were "unaware of major differences like that other than the inclusion of the Trunk privacy screen from Austin builds."
What puzzled me is that my friend, also in NJ received an Austin car a month ago, and someone said this on Reddit 2 mo ago:
"My Fremont build I picked up last week was in excellent condition. Also came with parcel shelf (cargo cover). A few other very minor things not worth mentioning."
Is your car a 7 seater? 7 seaters aren't compatible with the cargo cover.
But otherwise all 5 seaters have been getting cargo cover from both Fremont and Austin starting in Nov 2022. Austin was doing cargo covers many months before that.