Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Model Ys Manufactured in Austin Vs Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to my Tesla rep, my MY LR built in Fremont 48h ago is missing cargo cover and is "incompatible with this feature".
They stated that they were "unaware of major differences like that other than the inclusion of the Trunk privacy screen from Austin builds."
What puzzled me is that my friend, also in NJ received an Austin car a month ago, and someone said this on Reddit 2 mo ago:
"My Fremont build I picked up last week was in excellent condition. Also came with parcel shelf (cargo cover). A few other very minor things not worth mentioning."
I have learned that some Tesla Rep are not very informed about the products. It doesn't help that Tesla often change/add/remove things without official announcement. Just wait until you see the car in person.

According to my Tesla rep, my MY LR built in Fremont 48h ago is missing cargo cover and is "incompatible with this feature".
They stated that they were "unaware of major differences like that other than the inclusion of the Trunk privacy screen from Austin builds."
What puzzled me is that my friend, also in NJ received an Austin car a month ago, and someone said this on Reddit 2 mo ago:
"My Fremont build I picked up last week was in excellent condition. Also came with parcel shelf (cargo cover). A few other very minor things not worth mentioning."
My Fremont build had the cargo cover. Also had the plastic trim under the front seat on the side. Maybe the Austin build has more range than my (not model y lol) Fremont build model y or the Austin build is MYP fast? Idk.

I did make fun of my friend who recently pick up a model 3. He kept on calling it a M3. And I told him to stop. It is not a m3. On a side note my neighbor 4 houses down did just get a 2023 bmw M3 and that this is just gorgeous.

No complaints so far. After about a month, it’s just a car. It is my wife’s car so driving a blue car with white interior and the mommy wheels(Gemini hub caps), to run errands doesn’t make me that guy. Lol. My brother s wife’s MYP is a cool looking car. More manly. Lol. Going to wait for my tesla truck. Ordered it back in spring 2021 or so. Hopefully it’s be ready in 2025-2026.

My Fremont build had the cargo cover. Also had the plastic trim under the front seat on the side. Maybe the Austin build has more range than my (not model y lol) Fremont build model y or the Austin build is MYP fast? Idk.

I did make fun of my friend who recently pick up a model 3. He kept on calling it a M3. And I told him to stop. It is not a m3. On a side note my neighbor 4 houses down did just get a 2023 bmw M3 and that this is just gorgeous.

No complaints so far. After about a month, it’s just a car. It is my wife’s car so driving a blue car with white interior and the mommy wheels(Gemini hub caps), to run errands doesn’t make me that guy. Lol. My brother s wife’s MYP is a cool looking car. More manly. Lol. Going to wait for my tesla truck. Ordered it back in spring 2021 or so. Hopefully it’s be ready in 2025-2026.
More manly…? Eh…

Let me start, I have a “23 MYP.

But if you were to go to any random passerby as ask them to spot the difference between a MYLR and a MYP (assuming same color choices and no options for either), I’d guess that most would only really notice the wheels from a distance. If they get closer, maybe spot the spoiler. Ask them to get any closer and possibly have them say “yeah, imma go now.” Since you need to be a lot more detail oriented to spot the badging underline, maybe the lowered height and staggered wheels.

If the MYLR has the optional wheel and add-on spoiler, it’s even worse.

As for ”M3”… yeah, that’s a bit “unfortunate.” There’s no skirting the fact that “shorthand” for the Model 3 is M3 though.

Every time I see “MY,” I keep defaulting to… “your what?”

More manly…? Eh…

Let me start, I have a “23 MYP.

But if you were to go to any random passerby as ask them to spot the difference between a MYLR and a MYP (assuming same color choices and no options for either), I’d guess that most would only really notice the wheels from a distance. If they get closer, maybe spot the spoiler. Ask them to get any closer and possibly have them say “yeah, imma go now.” Since you need to be a lot more detail oriented to spot the badging underline, maybe the lowered height and staggered wheels.

If the MYLR has the optional wheel and add-on spoiler, it’s even worse.

As for ”M3”… yeah, that’s a bit “unfortunate.” There’s no skirting the fact that “shorthand” for the Model 3 is M3 though.

Every time I see “MY,” I keep defaulting to… “your what?”
Bigger rims, couple inches lower, small wheel gap between the wheel and car( from the factory) makes a huge difference. Model 3 bigger rims or smaller rims, it s height is similar. Model Y, regular vs performance m, the height is noticeable.

It’s like having 35s on a jeep vs stock all season street tires on a jeep. Rims and lower stance makes a total difference in appearance.

We bought it when the tesla first dropped their price. Model Y performance was 56k but didn’t qualify for tax credit. We got the non performance for 54500, which included 1k for color blue and 1k for white leather. If it wasn’t for the tax credit we wouldn’t traded our minivan to get a new car.

Wonder if people who own model s or x calls it MS or MX…or just S and X. Not that I really care but just wondering.

Bigger rims, couple inches lower, small wheel gap between the wheel and car( from the factory) makes a huge difference. Model 3 bigger rims or smaller rims, it s height is similar. Model Y, regular vs performance m, the height is noticeable.

It’s like having 35s on a jeep vs stock all season street tires on a jeep. Rims and lower stance makes a total difference in appearance.

We bought it when the tesla first dropped their price. Model Y performance was 56k but didn’t qualify for tax credit. We got the non performance for 54500, which included 1k for color blue and 1k for white leather. If it wasn’t for the tax credit we wouldn’t traded our minivan to get a new car.

Wonder if people who own model s or x calls it MS or MX…or just S and X. Not that I really care but just wondering.
Eh... it's just over half an inch drop, that's the kind of notice I don't see unless I'm measuring with a ruler or something.

As for rims... I'm kinda middle of the road type. I think huge rims with tiny profile tires look weird. Same with tiny wheels and gigantic sidewalls (unless you're actually off-roading!). I prefer something like the 19" wheels with 255/45/19 tires on the MY, which I did. My new wheels are 19x8, but I think I may have gone too narrow. The side wall looks a little concaved, I like a flatter face.

I had originally ordered an LR but switched to P when the IRS adjusted the price cap from $55k to $80k for the Model Y across the board.

Finally, for the name... well, like I just typed in, LR and P make sense so long as all participants understand what we're talking about. Similarly, as you mentioned, S and X would work fine too for similar reasons. I use the "M" most of the time because as far as I can see, "Model" is an actual part of the name, since there was the Roadster, then came the Models S, X, 3 & Y. Now there's the Semi and upcoming CyberTruck. I guess Semi is gonna be a weird one to shorthand.

Just remember if you take delivery on a car before the end of March, you can't apply the tax credit until tax year 2023 in calendar year 2024.
Not necessarily. You can adjust your federal tax withholding with your employer for 2023 if you get a W-2, or if you are self-employed you should reduce your 2023 estimated tax payments accordingly. You should not have to wait to file your 2023 tax return in 2024 for a refund of the $7,500 credit if you properly adjust your 2023 tax payments.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Not necessarily. You can adjust your federal tax withholding with your employer for 2023 if you get a W-2, or if you are self-employed you should reduce your 2023 estimated tax payments accordingly. You should not have to wait to file your 2023 tax return in 2024 for a refund of the $7,500 credit if you properly adjust your 2023 tax payments.
I believe you guys are speaking the same thoughts. Just stating it differently

Reactions: theslimshadyist
It seems hit or miss, I asked the same question on reddit and some people get a text/email, some people just see it in the app.

You're doing a lot better than most of us if you only check the app twice a day!

For those of you who received a VIN, were you notified by text from Tesla or did it just appear in your app replacing the RN number? I check my account twice a day for any updates.
Since I check the app multiple times a day, to include first thing in the AM, I did notice the VIN assignment in the app first. Then I got a text from my SA saying a VIN had been assigned.

• Informative
Reactions: Trustedpro
Makes sense why my 7 seater Y is being built in Fremont and constantly being pushed back. There are probably more profitable variants cutting in line.

If no delivery by 3/31 I'm canceling for tax credit and hopefully get a $250 refund too.
Polestar is staying on their website that the credit ends on May 1st.
Which leads me to believe that the IRS is going to announce on March 31 and then it will go into effect by March 1st.
It’s highly likely Tesla knows it’s May 1st and is using March 31 to pump their sales before they report their earnings around 4/20.

Reactions: vickh
Since I check the app multiple times a day, to include first thing in the AM, I did notice the VIN assignment in the app first. Then I got a text from my SA saying a VIN had been assigned.
Dude I don’t get anything from my SA.
When VIN is assigned nothing, there’s a lot to be desired with my SA in Colorado.
Is there a way to change SA’s?

Mine has also told me I cannot get a refund on the $250 if I take an existing inventory vehicle but I’ve seen others who have managed to get this

Customer Service appears to be in the negative x_X

When VIN is assigned nothing, there’s a lot to be desired with my SA in Colorado.

Mine has also told me I cannot get a refund on the $250 if I take an existing inventory vehicle but I’ve seen others who have managed to get this

That's typical TSLA CSR/SA, even during my 3 delivery in 2019. You get what you get and it's just like working with the IRS (speaking of tax credits!)

Reactions: KeylynsParadox
Which leads me to believe that the IRS is going to announce on March 31 and then it will go into effect by March 1st.
It’s highly likely Tesla knows it’s May 1st and is using March 31 to pump their sales before they report their earnings around 4/20.

Makes sense. Good info! They always juice quarter end #s for wall street. I will wait patiently then. Any links to the May 1st zeitgeist other than Polestar?

Reactions: KeylynsParadox

Wait until you get your car and find flaws. Customer service will be the negative X_X_X_X1000….. even if you find flaws at delivery, they might say it within teslas specs.

I took my car for scratches, and the customer service guy arranged at the date of pickup for a scheduled appointment and loaner car. The day I got there, the service guy had an attitude and try to tell me no loaner for you. My car ended at their service for 2 days. I told him don’t get an attitude with me because you’re having a bad day. Just follow what’s written on the service order and stop telling what you’re not going to do.

From March 31, 2023, the tax credit for EV will be split into 2 categories your vehicle can qualify for. Each is $3750 credit. Before 3/31/2023 it’s a single $7500 credit qualification.

Wait until you get your car and find flaws. Customer service will be the negative X_X_X_X1000….. even if you find flaws at delivery, they might say it within teslas specs.

I took my car for scratches, and the customer service guy arranged at the date of pickup for a scheduled appointment and loaner car. The day I got there, the service guy had an attitude and try to tell me no loaner for you. My car ended at their service for 2 days. I told him don’t get an attitude with me because you’re having a bad day. Just follow what’s written on the service order and stop telling what you’re not going to do.

From March 31, 2023, the tax credit for EV will be split into 2 categories your vehicle can qualify for. Each is $3750 credit. Before 3/31/2023 it’s a single $7500 credit qualification.

+1 with TSLA CSRs it's luck of the draw

RE From March 31, 2023, is the tax credit split certain? I thought IRS is still working on guidelines?

Do you have a source for the May 1st deadline? All I've seen is Polestar's own $7500 lease rebate offer (not the tax credit) that ends May 1st - Polestar 2 – The 100% electric car | Polestar US

It would be odd to me if they referenced the tax credit at all since they aren't yet a Qualified Manufacturer, though they have applied to be, according to the IRS - Manufacturers and Models for New Qualified Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and fredzos