Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Model Ys Manufactured in Austin Vs Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait until you get your car and find flaws. Customer service will be the negative X_X_X_X1000….. even if you find flaws at delivery, they might say it within teslas specs.

I took my car for scratches, and the customer service guy arranged at the date of pickup for a scheduled appointment and loaner car. The day I got there, the service guy had an attitude and try to tell me no loaner for you. My car ended at their service for 2 days. I told him don’t get an attitude with me because you’re having a bad day. Just follow what’s written on the service order and stop telling what you’re not going to do.

From March 31, 2023, the tax credit for EV will be split into 2 categories your vehicle can qualify for. Each is $3750 credit. Before 3/31/2023 it’s a single $7500 credit qualification.
I canceled 2 MY Orders. Keeping my M3 and waiting until 2025 to see what Legacy Companies release.
Tesla won’t change until they feel it in their numbers.
A buddy of ours switched back to BMW.
Not fond of how shitty Tesla treats its Customers.

Makes sense. Good info! They always juice quarter end #s for wall street. I will wait patiently then. Any links to the May 1st zeitgeist other than Polestar?
Nope. But with the looming recession and +17% inflation that’s kicking Engineers in their pocket, I wouldn’t be surprised if they lower prices again in the future.
Tesla also just started their Lithium Mine in TX so I’d think around 2024 Tesla’s will qualify for the Full EV credit again.

Do you have a source for the May 1st deadline? All I've seen is Polestar's own $7500 lease rebate offer (not the tax credit) that ends May 1st - Polestar 2 – The 100% electric car | Polestar US

It would be odd to me if they referenced the tax credit at all since they aren't yet a Qualified Manufacturer, though they have applied to be, according to the IRS - Manufacturers and Models for New Qualified Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service
It is not specified for lease. Polestar is giving 7500 whether they qualify or not.

Reactions: vickh
Yep - it came with the cargo cover that I find poorely designed - it requires 2 hands to open and it's tough to keep it open, as it doesn't slide well.

There are those who want the factory cargo, and those who don't think much of the factory cargo. If it's not such a PITA to swap the interior parts, I'd offer to trade someone my factory cargo with non-cargo panels so I can get one of those retractable covers. The aftermarket ones have their own issues, but I like it's functionalities better.

I live in Austin and take delivery of MY 7 seat LR in 5 days (27 July 2023) and learned it'scoming from Fremont :-(. My concern after reading these threads: 1) Are 4680 structural batteries coming out of Fremont? I want the better battery technology. 2) Is ride quality an issue with the Fremont builds (vs Austin).

I live in Austin and take delivery of MY 7 seat LR in 5 days (27 July 2023) and learned it'scoming from Fremont :-(. My concern after reading these threads: 1) Are 4680 structural batteries coming out of Fremont? I want the better battery technology. 2) Is ride quality an issue with the Fremont builds (vs Austin).
In no way is the 4680 structural pack "better"

Texxla - 4680 batteries are relatively new and come only (for Model Ys) in the standard range version. 4680 batteries are only being delivered in vehicles coming from the Austin manufacturing plant - at this time. You cannot purchase a LR with the 4680 battery pack - at this time.

Hilarious that you live in Austin - where there is a Tesla plant that makes LRs and yours is coming from Fremont.

Reactions: E90alex
MY LR 7 are only built in Freemont. It makes business sense to keep "low production" option at one factory to reduce cost of having supply chain for both factories. If you want 4680 structural battery, order the MY AWD (5 seater). You can't get 7 seater with 4680 battery.

Hilarious that you live in Austin - where there is a Tesla plant that makes LRs and yours is coming from Fremont.

Yea, I do not know about now, but for a period, Southern California was flooded with Austin-built MYs.

Also, and again, I do not know about now, but Austin MYs were shipped with "premium" reflective headlights while Fremont MYs were shipped with "global" matrix headlights.

MY LR 7 are only built in Freemont. It makes business sense to keep "low production" option at one factory to reduce cost of having supply chain for both factories. If you want 4680 structural battery, order the MY AWD (5 seater). You can't get 7 seater with 4680 battery.
I need the 7 seats for business purposes so 5 was never an option. I'm digging into the battery issue and 4680 isn't superior to 2170 like I thought.
Yea, I do not know about now, but for a period, Southern California was flooded with Austin-built MYs.

Also, and again, I do not know about now, but Austin MYs were shipped with "premium" reflective headlights while Fremont MYs were shipped with "global" matrix headlights.
MY is soon going to be the Harley Davidson of cars. By that I mean that Harly owners HEAVILY customize their bikes and we've seen MY owners go ape *sugar* on color wraps. I'm seeing interior upgrades like seat covers with ventilation. Different design aftermarket headlights, tail lights, front "spoilers" ? Maybe an aero nose cone? I've seen a sunroof "delete" wrap which is an interesting idea. 🤔 basically, the aftermarket for the volume of cars produced is going to go bonkers.