Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different regen w/ passenger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I must speed/slow a lot more in my S than in previous cars compliments of regen. I thought after all this time I was pretty smooth but my wife says otherwise. I think like many things it's much less noticeable when you are the driver controlling everything.

I'm beginning to think that being able to set a lessor regen when there's a passenger might not be a bad idea.

??

more to do with the lack of engine noise I think.
Means changes in speed are not announced to the passenger who in an ICE is subconsciously listening to the sound of the engine.
Soem passengers find is unsettling at first but it usually quickly passes

I think I must speed/slow a lot more in my S than in previous cars compliments of regen. I thought after all this time I was pretty smooth but my wife says otherwise. I think like many things it's much less noticeable when you are the driver controlling everything.

I'm beginning to think that being able to set a lessor regen when there's a passenger might not be a bad idea.

??

Sounds like you need to develop a lighter touch on the "go" pedal so you don't speed up so fast and don't start regen so abruptly.

Your old ICE vehicle was not capable of accelerating as fast from a stop as the Tesla, so a fairly strong pressure on the gas pedal produced acceptably smooth starts.

Similarly, pulling your foot off the gas pedal initiated a very gentle slowing or none at all (depending on the car) and you had already learned how to brake fairly smoothly.

With Tesla you have to learn to feather the go pedal more gradually, both on and off, to get a smooth response. It doesn't take long and the bonus is that your wattHours consumed per mile decrease when you accelerate more gradually.

I find that I really need to feather the pedal even more than I do when alone, if I have passengers. It is unsettling to them. I have gotten so accustomed to the accel and decel that I don't notice it. But I can scare the s--t out of people in the car if I am not careful.