Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I configured last year, it was an 85D vs. P85D question for me. I'm not a performance driver, so wasn't really seriously considering the P85D. But my son sealed the decision when he started advocating for the P85D with a gleam in his eye and I realized he'd very possibly come of driving age during our ownership of the car. 85D all the way... :)

Bruce.

When and how often would you REALLY used the extra performance?? Why do you want the extra performance? Guys get into the stats and numbers and feel they need to best or highest level (me included back in the day), but after getting that extra performance for many thousands of dollars, I realized I rarely, if ever, got to use that performance on the street.

When and how often would you use the extra range? And could you do something with an extra $20,000 in your pocket?

Reactions: SSD420
When and how often would you REALLY used the extra performance?? Why do you want the extra performance? Guys get into the stats and numbers and feel they need to best or highest level (me included back in the day), but after getting that extra performance for many thousands of dollars, I realized I rarely, if ever, got to use that performance on the street.

When and how often would you use the extra range? And could you do something with an extra $20,000 in your pocket?
I agree with @aus , save the $ and buy yourself or someone else something nice. Heck, invest it and get the PXXD on your next one if you're still thinking about it then. I, for one decided on the 90D for both the $ savings and the range. And if $ isn't a concern, think about all the toys and accessories you can buy for your new Model X with that $20-30k.

Reactions: aus
I should mention, there is a very real condition I've read about on here called "P"-ness envy that develops soon after buying a non-P model, it usually happens the first time you park next to a P model.

I have the P. So I'm all good there. But, I have to admit I do find myself wanting the D from time to time. I'd take the D for sure if I could.

In seriousness though, I bought my old school P85 used, and saved about 30k off a new 70D, and got more options out of it. I had the extra cash. But what convinced me to go more conservative was not so much the thinking of hey what other fun thing could I blow that money on. It was more like, ok, that's almost a year of college paid for one of my kids. When I looked at it like that the decision was much clearer.

Reactions: malcolm
I drive a RWD 85 and I have never floored it and then thought, gee, I wish this thing had a little more go. And your 90D is already a full second faster in 0-60 than my car. As Elon said at the Model 3 reveal, "we don't build slow cars."

Obviously, the perception and desire for performance is a very personal thing, so opinions will vary. But I think that if you even have to ask the question, you'll probably be extremely happy with the non-P version.

I would however use the extended range of the 90D
I'd be surprised if you ever actually did this -- specifically, rely on the tiny difference in range between the two. In reality you
will probably almost never exceed 90% of even the P's range, let along the non-P. For the vast majority of drivers the whole
range anxiety issue is way overblown, assuming you're a Tesla owner at all. Just yesterday I charged at an SC (*) at my destination
because I could, not because I actually needed to (that's your cue, SC Nazis: begin the flaming!), since I could have made it all the
way home with probably a little over 10% left.

(*) I nominate the SC I stopped at, at the US40 exit on I-70 in Terre Haute, IN, as the least used (and possibly least known) SC. It
seemed lonely and glad for a little attention ;)

I'd be surprised if you ever actually did this -- specifically, rely on the tiny difference in range between the two. In reality you
will probably almost never exceed 90% of even the P's range, let along the non-P. For the vast majority of drivers the whole
range anxiety issue is way overblown, assuming you're a Tesla owner at all. Just yesterday I charged at an SC (*) at my destination
because I could, not because I actually needed to (that's your cue, SC Nazis: begin the flaming!), since I could have made it all the
way home with probably a little over 10% left.

(*) I nominate the SC I stopped at, at the US40 exit on I-70 in Terre Haute, IN, as the least used (and possibly least known) SC. It
seemed lonely and glad for a little attention ;)
"Tiny" is relative. The "P's" Rated Range is 270 and the 90D is 294. I've driven mine down to 10-20 miles plenty of times not to mention its $20k less.

The "P's" Rated Range is 270 and the 90D is 294.
Rated, understood. I wonder if anyone has any good, hard data on the range comparison under less ideal driving
conditions? Something tells me the average P owner may drive at slightly greater than optimal (for efficiency) speeds ;)
It could turn out that the P is actually better at going fast(er) efficiently -- or not, who knows?

not to mention its $20k less
Preaching to the choir, there. But I think that's really the only relevant benefit for most people.

Reactions: msnow
I dont have mine yet but have gone through the same agonizing thought process... "Why didn't I get a P90DL?!?"

Right now I am regretting it a bit but practically, it is just absurd... the P90DL on test drive did concern me quite a bit. It was very very fast, well above my normally cat like reflex abilities.

The only purpose of it would be to impress friends... and truthfully they will be like "cool, now please don't do that again....."

range anxiety issue is way overblown, assuming you're a Tesla owner at all.
You are probably right. I haven't needed my entire range in my short 6 months with "Silvia".

However, I reside in a SC-anorexic area and enjoy the peace of mind that the 90D brings. We had a power outage a few days ago followed by a flash flood. I decided to return to daily 90% charging (instead of 70-80%). It is comforting to know that I have plenty of juice to get out of harms way, if needed.

Reactions: msnow
it is just absurd
"Ludicrous", even ;) After my first drive in my brand-new 90D after delivery I told my wife that I then understood that "Ludicrous"
referred not so much to the absolute acceleration capability but to the idea that anyone could need more than what the "mere"
90D can do. Of course, I've never owned any other cars with anything close to Tesla's off-the-line capability, so maybe I just don't
know. I've owned a car with arguably better 60-100 capability -- an Acura Integra GSR with its VTEC engine tuned for a power curve
peaking at 4200 RPM (which, in 3rd or 4th gear, ...). :)

well above my normally cat like reflex abilities.
:)

they will be like "cool, now please don't do that again....."
Or "... mmmph ... does this thing come a tool to pry my body parts out of the cracks in the upholstery -- or insurance to cover
retinal reattachment?"

• Funny
Reactions: Zybd1201
Ok, really stupid question here for those of you who own the 90D. In the P90D loaner I actually put the pedal to the floor and experienced this G Force sensation, kinda scared the $hit out of me for a second and felt like an amusement park thrill ride launch. Will the 90D do this as well?

• Helpful
Ok, really stupid question here for those of you who own the 90D. In the P90D loaner I actually put the pedal to the floor and experienced this G Force sensation, kinda scared the $hit out of me for a second and felt like an amusement park thrill ride launch. Will the 90D do this as well?

Yes. They both throw you back in your chair, it's just the P is a bit more forceful.

• Informative