Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dim Back-up lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much can be done since it's most likely on the software side. Since it's using an RCCC sensor, red and hues of red aren't affecting it as much, which is why when the brakes are lit, things are better. Other than installing red or red orange reverse LEDs, we're stuck waiting for Tesla.

I have a 2021 MY with a Dec 2020 date of manufacturer. The problem is worst when backing out of a driveway into a dark street and there is little or nothing to reflect the backup lights. The backup camera is pretty much useless. The side cameras are much better. Should I report this and if so do I send pictures of the screen and environment?

Reactions: TX_Flux
I have a 2021 MY with a Dec 2020 date of manufacturer. The problem is worst when backing out of a driveway into a dark street and there is little or nothing to reflect the backup lights. The backup camera is pretty much useless. The side cameras are much better. Should I report this and if so do I send pictures of the screen and environment?

I reported it and they said there is nothing they can do and they canceled my appointment. They may have a software update that will fix it but who knows when that will roll out

In my 2021 Model Y it is not the camera but the lights. At night, the brake lights are very bright on the screen when the backup camera is activated in reverse. With acceleration in reverse, as the brake lights go off, the screen turns quite dark unless there are other external sources of illumination - like a street lamp or garage light. At first I thought that the backup lights were not working, and that is why I took it to the Tesla shop. The comparison photos that were taken at the Tesla shop were of two model Y's side by side, and the backup lights on mine were very much dimmer than the one's on the 2020 Model Y next to it. I would like Tesla engineers to take an interest in this subject.

I hope the solution is adjusting the backup camera's aperture more frequently, to adjust to changing amounts of light. Pretty much like a digital camera can be set for no flash photography and automatically adjust to different amounts of ambient light. I don't expect the strengthening the backup light to solve the problem.

Call me silly, but in a regular vehicle when backing up on level ground, you typically use your brakes to modulate speed. Therefore it is not uncommon to have your rear brake lights on while backing up.

In my Y, there is plenty of light for the camera when the rear brake lights are illuminated. Seems like a simple software fix...illuminate some or all of the rear brake lights while backing up?

I believe that at some point Tesla decided to integrate the screen brightness, interior ambient lighting, and back camera brightness into using one main control. So it's a software (gamma) issue, not the rear LEDs. The "fix" is basically to increase your screen brightness. Unfortunately this means you have to keep adjusting your display and footwell brightness level, but you could use voice commands to quickly set the brightness level.

I believe that at some point Tesla decided to integrate the screen brightness, interior ambient lighting, and back camera brightness into using one main control. So it's a software (gamma) issue, not the rear LEDs. The "fix" is basically to increase your screen brightness. Unfortunately this means you have to keep adjusting your display and footwell brightness level, but you could use voice commands to quickly set the brightness level.
Not sure what changed. Maybe the latest software update. But now my backup camera view is very bright. Even brighter than the side cameras.