TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dimensions for Tight Garage

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cch1, Feb 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. cch1

cch1 Member

My aunt is considering a Tesla Model X and as a happy Model 3 owner I trying to sell her on it. She currently has a Lexus 450h (hybrid) for comparison. One of her big concerns is the ability of the X to fit in her garage. I tried to find dimensions of the X WITH the hatch opened and with the falcon doors opened -no luck. Was I right in saying the falcon doors will detect the garage ceiling and not open so far as to damage the door? What about the hatch? And what is the minimal vertical clearance to practically access the rear via the hatch or the falcon doors?

Lastly, what is the width of the car with the mirrors open and retraced?

Thanks!

-Chris

2. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

We have a 3 car garage with a single and double door(separate) we also previously had a Lexus 450h. The x will go in with the mirrors out, but only 1inch was clearance each side. The opening is 94 1/2 inches
    We just have car auto fold mirrors at home. The rear hatch opens, just not to it’s maximum height. Car seems to know how high. Length was a bigger issue as ours is 106 inches, so just barely fits, we can open up only the left side fwd, and it only goes part way up. Usually just pull out to load passengers. Our 2011 450h was definitely shorter and skinnier. Our salesperson actually brought an x home so we could test fit it into our garage.

3. cch1

cch1 Member

So it sounds like roughly 92.5" wide with the mirrors and 106" long. Interestingly, I did find a site that reports key dimensions here: https://www.cars.com/research/tesla-model_x/specs/

Note that the length they report is 198"!

Finally, I suppose the best thing to do is a test-fit. So, is anybody living in the Amherst, MA vicinity willing to drop by my Aunt's house for a quick test fit?

4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I asked the local sales office a (long) while back about borrowing a car to test fit the garage. They happily helped, let me use a Model S for an overnight test drive.

Not sure if they still do today, but worth the ask.

5. KSilver2000

KSilver2000 Banned

One reason why you probably won’t find any definitive answer to your questions regarding dimensions when the trunk or FWD are open is because they don’t open the same amount for everyone. If there’s anything along the sides, bottom, or top of the garage, I find my FWD and hatch to be very sensitive and unwilling to open a comfortable distance many times. But, for some reason, the automatic front door sensors are very good at opening the doors almost all the way every single time.

6. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Maybe my garage 206 because I have about 1 inch in front, and 4 inches in rear
    It just barely fits. Have your aunt test drive one, if she really likes, have salesperson drive it to her house for a test fit. We would not sign final papers until they did.