Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, you can always manually dim the lights by pulling back the light stalk to normal lights, and then press it forward to high beams when needed -- even with auto headlights enabled. You can always manually control the lights. It takes a second when you switch back to high beams for it to check if everything is OK if auto high beams is enabled.

The 22's don't have stalks anymore.
The lights have to be on High Beams for Auto High Beams to work. Press, slide, or change whatever button you use on the yoke steering wheel to turn off high beams, and Auto High beams will not work until you manually switch to high beams on the yoke steering wheel. Whether you have a stalk or not should not matter. If you are saying the yoke has no high beam switch on it, the yoke is a defective design. You can always use the manual switch to turn high beams off and on. :)

I've recently had this issue since getting the FSD beta rewrite while driving at night. In the settings auto high beams are on and greyed out, and it says that it must be on during auto steer. So the only thing I could do was every time it came on was to press the stalk to turn it off, but it eventually always comes back on. This is ridiculous because it's shining into on coming traffic on the freeway and into the rear of vehicles ahead of me. It just doesn't work correctly and just pisses other drivers off.

Even when auto high beams is on, you can always dim the lights manually. When you want high beams, switch them on again. It takes a second for the auto high beams to make sure everything is OK, and then the high beams come on. If you then encounter a time the high beams are not working correctly dim them manually. I tested this last night and it works on my car with the advanced FSD beta. If your car doesn't work like this, it is broken.

As I've said, with the FSD beta auto high beams are on by default and greyed out, so you can't disable it. The beta turned off my radar and is using vision only, so at night it needs to see better and why the auto high beams are on by default. Yes, I can temporarily put the low beams back on using the stalk but as I've said they don't stay in low beams very long before the high beams come back on and this is because the auto high beams button is on. So it makes sense that the high beams would come back on. I believe it's doing what it's supposed to but it's very annoying for other drivers and sometime I forget that the high beams are on until I'm flashed by oncoming traffic.

In my experience once auto high beams are manually turned off using the left stalk they stay off forever unless I exit and renter AP.
Well as I keep saying, in the settings auto high beams are on by default and greyed out with the FSD beta rewrite, so it can't be turned off. But the FSD beta rewrite uses vision only and disables radar (if your car has it), so it needs more light to see at night.

Last edited:
Even when auto high beams is on, you can always dim the lights manually. When you want high beams, switch them on again. It takes a second for the auto high beams to make sure everything is OK, and then the high beams come on. If you then encounter a time the high beams are not working correctly dim them manually. I tested this last night and it works on my car with the advanced FSD beta. If your car doesn't work like this, it is broken.
If you read my previous posts I already said that I have dimmed them using the stalk. But, the high beams always come back on after a little bit automatically and it is annoying because it always comes back on into the eyes of oncoming traffic and behind traffic. My point is high beams turn on automatically to much with other traffic around. And this is one reason why I stopped using it prior to getting the FSD beta, but now I have no choice, guess I could just keep it in normal autopilot to keep the low beams on.

Well as I keep saying, in the settings auto high beams are on by default and greyed out with the FSD beta rewrite, so it can't be turned off. But the FSD beta rewrite uses vision only and disables radar (if your car has it), so it needs more light to see at night.
You keep saying that you have been saying, but honestly I can't understand what you are trying to say. ;)
I know the auto high beam option is greyed out whenever AP is engaged. As a work around we use the stalk instead to turn off auto high beams, and it stays off until the next time we reenter AP. Are you making another point in addition to this? Please explain more. Thanks.

Is it the bit about Vision Only needing more light because it doesn't have a radar?

My car is Vision Only and once I turn off auto high beams using the stalk in AP they have never come back on automatically unless I exit and reenter AP.

Last edited:
You keep saying that you have been saying, but honestly I can't understand what you are trying to say. ;)
I know the auto high beam option is greyed out whenever AP is engaged. As a work around we use the stalk instead to turn off auto high beams, and it stays off until the next time we reenter AP. Are you making another point in addition to this? Please explain more. Thanks.

Is it the bit about Vision Only needing more light because it doesn't have a radar?

My car is Vision Only and once I turn off auto high beams using the stalk in AP they have never come back on automatically unless I exit and reenter AP.
The auto high beam option is greyed out on because I guess the FSD beta needs it, so it can't be turned off via the settings. When the high beams come on I do use the stalk to go back to low beams but it doesn't stay in low beams very long and the high beams will come back on automatically, that's what I've said. The high beams even came on for street driving just off the freeway at night, so I had to turn off the FSD beta because it was shining right into the vehicles in front of me.

I don't have FSD, but I can tell you that the auto high beam option is greyed out even with basic Auto Pilot engaged, so that part it is not strictly an FSD issue.

However, the fact that your car reenables auto high beams on its own after you manually turn it off with the stalk is very different than what I experience with just basic AP. Perhaps it really is an FSD thing? If so, I agree it does sound maddening. I would never use FSD if it kept flashing the brights all around the neighborhood.

It is an FSD beta thing, as I've said auto high beams is on by default for it. But I didn't think my car was in the FSD beta while on the freeway, I assumed that since the beta and autopilot are two different software stacks auto high beams wouldn't be on for both. Tonight while driving on the freeway in the dark auto high beams was very strange. Below the low beam icon the high beam (with an A inside it), was greyed out. That told me that auto high beam was activated and could come one when it needed to. When it did pushing the stalk forward turned it off and then it was in low beams and the high beam icon with the A disappeared. At that point thought maybe Auto high beams was turned off, but a short time later it came back on. I also noticed that sometimes while on the freeway NOA would revert from the single blue line to the double blue lines, meaning NOA was off and the the name of the freeway would change to and older name, telling me the GPS data is outdated on certain stretches, also then the FSD beta display would show. Honestly, it all seems like a mess.