Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its happened a few times where I accidently disable Auto Pilot and put it into cruise control only. Very scary because I think it is in AP still and obviously it doesnt steer or slow down. I have zero need for cruise control. Im either driving, or im in auto pilot. Any way to disable cruise control completely? I always spot check the screen and unfortunately CC looks almost the same to me as AP when i glance over.

Reactions: WindPower
I’m not aware of a means of disabling cruise control, but doesn’t your car give a warning chime/bing when Autopilot disengages?

It sure does.

@Eric99 another way you can tell at a glance is the lane markers on either side of your vehicle on the left side of the screen. If there are blue lines, auto steer is active. If they are just gray then it is not.

I have about 3500 miles on my Y and twice I’ve been kicked out of auto steer (autopilot) while driving in traffic.

Scary!!

It’s tough to tell why auto steer disengaged, and it might have been due to my keeping a too heavy hand on the steering wheel. I think I was pretty lucky that I was able to take over steering the car.

While there is a beep after auto steer disengages, it’s disconcerting having no warning that you need to take over steering the car. If you’re not completely alert and engaged while on auto steer, having the car disengage auto steer can be dangerous.

While there is a beep after auto steer disengages, it’s disconcerting having no warning that you need to take over steering the car. If you’re not completely alert and engaged while on auto steer, having the car disengage auto steer can be dangerous.
Umm yes. But it does so based on your input, so transitively,
“, doing something that disengages auto steer can be dangerous if you’re not completely alert and engaged “

Its happened a few times where I accidently disable Auto Pilot and put it into cruise control only. Very scary because I think it is in AP still and obviously it doesnt steer or slow down. I have zero need for cruise control. Im either driving, or im in auto pilot. Any way to disable cruise control completely? I always spot check the screen and unfortunately CC looks almost the same to me as AP when i glance over.
After many thousand miles on AP there’s highway stretches where I *expect* auto steer and if it doesn’t it’s “whoa” when I start strumming the lane markers

I have about 3500 miles on my Y and twice I’ve been kicked out of auto steer (autopilot) while driving in traffic.

Scary!!

It’s tough to tell why auto steer disengaged, and it might have been due to my keeping a too heavy hand on the steering wheel. I think I was pretty lucky that I was able to take over steering the car.

There is a warning - it's the beep to tell you auto steer is disengaging.

I guess I'm confused - are there cases where it doesn't chime on disengagement, or are people just not noticing it? I've never had mine disengage without chiming.