Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Mobile Data when getting paint job fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal practice for a paint shop to ask you to disable Mobile access on the car when they take the car for repair?

I asked why they needed the mobile access disabled, they mentioned because they need to remove panels and therefore need to reprogram system.

I went ahead and disabled but am curious why this is required.

Pretty sure it's been in Tesla's policy for a while to disabled third party dashcams and remote access when getting work done at a Service Center or third party shop approved by Tesla. Some choose to uphold it while others don't. I've had a look around the internet and it seems like they only do it because people thought it would be funny to start honking the horn in the shop. Is this a Tesla-approved paint shop you're talking about?

I found my dash cam (3rd party) unplugged after service. Problem was I only noticed it after 1 hour drive through peak hour traffic to get home, and luckily no probs during drive.
Tesla service obviously can disable the app access by themselves.
I don't mind the policy about this, but should at least reconnect after service or let you know to do it yourself.