Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable opening trunk with external button.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one disable the external "open trunk" button on the trunk lid? There is a common theft method in which the thief approaches a vehicle as it is parking, and as soon as the driver opens his door the thief opens the now-unlocked trunk, grabs what he can, and runs away. My intention is to foil this common attack.

I would not mind simply disconnecting the connector to the switch, but would prefer a more sanctioned method if possible. Thanks.

I don't believe that there is any way to disable the trunk opening switch through a software option at the moment. If you do opt to disconnect the switch, you can still open/unlock the trunk using the car's screen, if inside, or a fob or phone, if outside.

The other deterrent method that I can think of is this:
shouder_fired_missle.jpg

Along these lines - if you use the phone as a key (as most do), the car can be slow to lock as you walk away, leaving opportunity for a thief. Not to mention the car will open for anyone if your phone happens to be within range (20-30' with some phones). I love the convenience of the phone as key, but it is not ideal from a security standpoint.

I've not tried it, but months ago some people were complaining that Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode also prevents the other doors from unlocking on exit.

You might want to see if this keeps the trunk locked.
Even if that works, someone can open the trunk as long as the car detects a key. To prevent that, you would have to stop using a phone key and use the key card instead.

Keep a deadly venomous cobra or rattlesnake in the trunk.

Yeah, I had a Trunk Monkey™ I would occasionally forget to feed, you open the trunk when Mojo was a hungry? You're not stealing anything.

Er, then I forgot him, went on vacation for a couple of weeks ... I at least had the extended replacement warranty, and Koko is doing much better.

I'd like to rig this to "jump out" when the trunk is opened, but they want $30 to ship it! I'll find something local. If I ever rig that up I'll post it here. Thanks for the idea!

Maybe wire it so when the trunk opens (you can disable in safe places) that the car blares loud obnoxious music like sentry mode does
sentry mode defender
choose your aggression level from moving away from the perp to sitting with the trunk partial open...waiting
ready to fly open and deliver a devastating uppercut

once the perp gets to close or sentry mode defender decides it doesn't like the cut of their jib
auto taunting/warning via using sentry mode remote view voice using your favorite quotes altered to suit the occasion
"Go ahead make my day....."
"in all this excitement I've lost track myself am I 2018 model 3 or a 2022 model 3 with the worlds most powerful lift gate, do you feel lucky"
“What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!”
"Say hello to my little friend!"

Last edited:
sentry mode defender
choose your aggression level from moving away from the perp to sitting with the trunk partial open...waiting
ready to fly open and deliver a devastating uppercut

once the perp gets to close or sentry mode defender decides it doesn't like the cut of their jib
auto taunting/warning via using sentry mode remote view voice using your favorite quotes altered to suit the occasion
"Go ahead make my day....."
"in all this excitement I've lost track myself am I 2018 model 3 or a 2022 model 3 with the worlds most powerful lift gate, do you feel lucky"
“What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!”
"Say hello to my little friend!"
Now I'm having visions of a Model 3 / Audrey II hybrid where the car has teeth on the tailgate and screams "Feed me Seymour!"

"I thought the car ate electricity - turns out it had a taste for human flesh"

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli