Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Miles (SHOCKED )!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 LR (2022 model 6k on the clock)

We visited several distant family members over Christmas which was only our second long journey since buying the car in March. I was SHOCKED at the loss of mileage. We had a few stops and starts and few short family plug-ins but here are two examples:

Journey out: Started with 345miles on the clock, drove 194 miles (<4 hours) arrived at destination with 68 miles on the clock (83 miles lost somewhere)?
Journey back (up to Hilton Park Services): Started with 184 miles on the clock, drove 108 miles (about 2 hours) arrived at destination with 40 miles on the clock (36 miles lost somewhere)?

The weather temps was plus 9 to 14 degrees.

I am in shock; is that normal; how the hell can I plan a journey with miles disappearing at that rate?

Last edited:
It’s just how it is. The displayed miles is based on efficiency that’s almost impossible to achieve in colder weather (or indeed at all unless you’re very careful). Then there are losses when parked up etc that are frustrating but have been there since the year dot. You just need to recalibrate your expectations.

Those two example journey saw a loss of 20% to 24% . . . that is huge, surely that can' be right? If that IS 'right' I need an ICE car for winter journeys to save money on fuel!

• Funny
Reactions: Soua and Smileysam
My model s 75d is officially 305 miles range. Reality is its about 240. I've had 280 once.
In winter I'd say its about 120-140.
Ev manufactures need to start putting different ranges just like ice vehicles.
Max possible range
Average range summer/winter
Also take into account nightly drain

Tesla still have best average ranges of all ev IMO. When I see an Audi listed with their max range I shudder to think what the real range is

We visited several distant family members over Christmas which was only our second long journey since buying the car in March. I was SHOCKED at the loss of mileage. We had a few stops and starts and few short family plug-ins but here are two examples:

Journey out: Started with 345miles on the clock, drove 194 miles (<4 hours) arrived at destination with 68 miles on the clock (83 miles lost somewhere)?
Journey back (up to Hilton Park Services): Started with 184 miles on the clock, drove 108 miles (about 2 hours) arrived at destination with 40 miles on the clock (36 miles lost somewhere)?

I am in shock; is that normal; how the hell can I plan a journey with miles disappearing at that rate?
You've been around this forum for long enough now. This topic and the whys and wherefores have been covered in comprehensive detail (several times over). Every possible question you could imagine on winter range is already on the forum for you to read. The click bait style of title is a big yawn too. You clearly managed your journey in any case but by all means use an ICE car if you need to.

You've been around this forum for long enough now. This topic and the whys and wherefores have been covered in comprehensive detail
I have expereinced disappearing miles and I have read many posts on disappearing miles but I have never expereinced any loss or seen any posts of loss on this scale
Show me another post of someone else experiencing a 24% loss on one journey?

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman
Facebook is the worst with the questions. Eg I bought a Tesla, now how do I charge it or a personal favourite, “do I really need to add screenwash?”
Before I entered into the world of EVs in 2019, I must have watched hundreds of videos and read thousands of threads about EVs, Tesla, rapid charging, home charging, road trips, tyres, weather, specifications, servicing etc. I can’t believe the number of people who buy into EVs completely blind sighted as if they do it for a fashion statement.

And your previous thread and the suggestions and comments if you can’ t use search function.

And your previous thread and the suggestions and comments if you can’ t use search function.

Indeed and on that first long journey in Spring (quite cold) i wrote . . . "I had driven 195 miles and the battery range showed 145 mile i.e. the battery had gone down by 210 miles for an actual 195 miles driven" (a loss of just 15 miles then as against 83 miles last weekend - that is a significant difference by any measure)

Indeed and on that first long journey in Spring (quite cold) i wrote . . . "I had driven 195 miles and the battery range showed 145 mile i.e. the battery had gone down by 210 miles for an actual 195 miles driven" (a loss of just 15 miles then as against 83 miles last weekend - that is a significant difference by any measure)
The reason I said was to go thro comments and suggestions etc., There was a suggestion that you have to lower your expectations in winter and I don’t think you have read that!

Did you have the heater on? I assume you did. Did you know that heating a volume of air requires energy, lots of it, even with a heat pump. Also the car may have needed to heat the main battery to increase efficiency and allow for increased regen. All this will ultimately reduce your range, but you must hsve known this.

Reactions: boombap
Did you have the heater on? I assume you did. Did you know that heating a volume of air requires energy, lots of it, even with a heat pump. Also the car may have needed to heat the main battery to increase efficiency and allow for increased regen. All this will ultimately reduce your range, but you must hsve known this.
I had the fan heater on 20 degrees and yes I knew that would have an impact but as I keep saying it was the scale 24% and 20% which shocked me and I was truly shocked when I arived at my first destination. I may not have been so shocked if I had been able to read the gauge showing the miles and seeing it drop ocer time . . . . . while the hell is that so small - WHY? My eyesight isn't bad (I used x2 for reading) but I can't read that gauge without putting on reading glasses and I can't do that whilst I am driving. WHY is it so small?