Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the movement of Supercharging Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not realize they had been moved to the regional forums. I was wondering why there seemed to be no talk of new sites being found, permits issued, etc. I only read the regional forums maybe once a month as it is too cumbersome to go through each and every area (e.g., east coast, south, etc) each time. I wish the change had not been made. For me, this sub-forum is basically irrelevant now and I will need to rely on supercharge.info to see where new SC locations are popping up.

I too am disappointed. This has been my go to forum for new superchargers. It seems like many others share this "obsession" of knowing the latest sites popping up around the country. Perhaps there is a way to catalogue new supercharging sites in this forum with a redirect link to the appropriate regional subforum for further details and discussion.

I too am disappointed. This has been my go to forum for new superchargers. It seems like many others share this "obsession" of knowing the latest sites popping up around the country. Perhaps there is a way to catalogue new supercharging sites in this forum with a redirect link to the appropriate regional subforum for further details and discussion.
Just "subscribe" to any Supercharger threads of interest when they first appear. That way they are all grouped together and shown when you click on "Settings" button, with only new posts, regardless of which sub-forum they may have been put in.

I also prefer either to go back to the way it was before or to create a new section just for superchargers. Having to go through each regional section daily or sort through all the new posts is too cumbersome for those who come to TMC primarily for supercharger news.

I'm also a supercharger freak without a Tesla! This is the most exciting part to me because it serves to hush the naysayers when the plug becomes as ubiquitous as the pump! That said, I have started veering into other sections (EVs, Model 3, Tesla Motors, etc). ;)

Just "subscribe" to any Supercharger threads of interest when they first appear. That way they are all grouped together and shown when you click on "Settings" button, with only new posts, regardless of which sub-forum they may have been put in.

The problem with this approach is you have to search through all the various regional sub-forums to find a new SC site. In the old way, it was a cinch, as new sites were typically near the top of page 1. I would hope they go back to the old way. For me, the most important section of TMC is the supercharger sub-forum. It is (was) the first thing I would look at. And often the only thing I would look at. For me, the value of TMC is deminished by this recent change.

Also, the subscribe feature does not always work. I subscribed to several topics in the past (i.e., the discussion about rear tire wear and the modified linkages to reduce said wear), and never got notifications of any updates.

The problem with this approach is you have to search through all the various regional sub-forums to find a new SC site. In the old way, it was a cinch, as new sites were typically near the top of page 1. I would hope they go back to the old way. For me, the most important section of TMC is the supercharger sub-forum. It is (was) the first thing I would look at. And often the only thing I would look at. For me, the value of TMC is deminished by this recent change.

+100. I too came to the supercharger thread daily or more often to get supercharger news and most often that was the only thread I checked. I agree that it was the most valuable thread on this forum. As a trial run, I just tried the new way, looking for SC news by checking every regional thread, and, to be honest, it was really tiresome. I can see myself visiting TMC less often because of this change. Please consider reversing it.

I don't know if I agree with them moving to the regional sites, but they were horribly cluttering up the charging forum. It's a step forward. I would have suggested a special subforum just for superchargers, but hey... that's above my paygrade here.

Yikes....

This was the one Thread that I always visited.
I thought the former system was a little overwhelming at times, but I could keep (some) track of all-things-Supercharger (domestically) happening in a lot of different directions as Texas finally is getting really close to actual connection with the rest of the Supercharger Network.
Yes, the original system could stand to be improved, but I see this configuration of breaking into all the regional Sub-Forums as a step backwards.
Maybe a special subforum for Superchargers?

Whereas previously I could look for any connection from Texas to the rest of the Network in one location, I am now looking in Texas (for local state news), Mountain/Southwest (for direction West and into Oklahoma), Midwest/Great Lakes (for connection past Oklahoma to Kansas and Missouri) and Southeast (for connection thru Louisiana on to Georgia, Florida and East Coast).

So, there are now Four locations (literally) to look at the sources/resources for the same information.
And in order to keep the bigger North America Supercharger picture in view, I would need to review TEN Forums (I don't see Hawaii ever getting a Supercharger).

Looking at it another way: the first 100 Superchargers were achieved in April 2014, then Sept. 25: 200, then Dec. 17, 300.
There are currently 389 and 400 is on the horizon as Tesla seems to have hit their stride of completing/opening better that 100 new Superchargers every 90 days.

To me, one of the very BEST things about this forum is Community Spirit and the ability to dialogue with individuals from different parts of the country/regions.
(Hell yes, I am interested, and maybe I can help you out. I might need your help about something else...)
This one thread had people from California locating permits for Supercharger sites in GA, and vice versa.
By breaking the whole Supercharger aspect into fragmented regions, well much of that joie de verve is lost.

United we are an awesome force.
Divided, not so much.

Last edited:
Just went through 9 pages of 'New Posts' to get my daily 'Supercharger' fix. Took two cups of morning coffee. Now fear is setting in that I may have missed one in the fray. Ahh well.... back to page 1 of 'New Posts'. Plug in the Keurig!!!

LOL - this site is so busy/popular (good problem to have) that if you go 24 hours without checking (heaven forbid) then you're overwhelmed with New Posts

I agree, I was pretty disappointed with the change as well. I would have preferred them to have been moved to a single SuperCharger Updates site instead of mixed in with other location specific updates. I too used to routinely visit that one site to get (almost) all of the SuperCharger updates. Moderator, please consider revising to bring all of the SuperCharger information into one location. Thanks!!

The problem with this approach is you have to search through all the various regional sub-forums to find a new SC site.
Not if you just review the "New Posts". Takes about 5 seconds to determine if any need "Subscribing".

Also, the subscribe feature does not always work. I subscribed to several topics in the past (i.e., the discussion about rear tire wear and the modified linkages to reduce said wear), and never got notifications of any updates.
Been using the feature since 2009 and never had any problems.

Just to chime in here with my 2 cents... I regularly enjoy the morning with a cup of coffee and checking for Supercharger updates. There is just a certain joy of watching Tesla slowly build out a nationwide network. Why not just do a "Supercharger" subforum with "Charging Standards and Infrastructure"? The Superchargers would be separated from the other charging threads and would prevent clutter. Everybody wins.

Just to chime in here with my 2 cents... I regularly enjoy the morning with a cup of coffee and checking for Supercharger updates. There is just a certain joy of watching Tesla slowly build out a nationwide network. Why not just do a "Supercharger" subforum with "Charging Standards and Infrastructure"? The Superchargers would be separated from the other charging threads and would prevent clutter. Everybody wins.

My 2 cents are added to this so we are up to 4 cents now !! What is required to pass it ? :wink:

this sounds like a great idea.

While I can see that there are some people who are interested in global super charger rollout, I do think that the moderators' view has a lot of merit. It is much easier for someone who lives, say, in the Pacific NW to look for supercharger threads in that group than having to search through pages and pages of SC threads in a central forum. I think that most Tesla owners will be most interested in the supercharger in a certain radius around them. Yes, I know there are exceptions and some of you have spoken up, but by and large I think the people in Portland, Maine care about as much about I5 super chargers as people in Portland, Oregon care about the ones on I95...