Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing range on new Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much or you measured tank to tank? When you’re working with small numbers like that it’s very easy to miss a 20% change in economy if you aren’t measuring full tanks on a regular basis.

This is different in an electric car, particularly when you’re new to driving one, because range is always front and center.

I measured almost every single tankful. It was automatic when I gassed up each time. As I said it did change if I was on the highway I got much better mileage than I did locally. I also recognize that I like the speed and that that may affect my range in the model 3

Yeah it's a pretty significant amount, but so far even in really cold temps (single digits to low teens) with the heat on I've never had less than 200-220 miles of range while on roadtrips in the Northeast. I've done a few tests and nearly all of that extra power use is just heating. Turning the heat completely off and just using seat heaters results in me being able to get closer to 260 miles of range in the winter (I have the 19" rims, so that has a pretty big negative impact on range especially in winter). On a few 50 degree days here my power usage was almost dead on with the rated power usage needed to obtain the rated range, so I have no doubt that in the summer it'll be pretty easy to get the full 310 miles on a charge (or very close to it).
Does using the defroster effect it the same way that using the heat will?

If you’re new to EVs you may not know that the inverse often happens in warm months; I can often exceed EPA range ratings in warm months by substantial margins.

You can watch the “energy” screen graph to see how close your rolling consumption is to the EPA ratings. There is a dashed line titled “rated” and if you’re consuming more than that, your range will be lower. If you’re consuming less the range will be greater than 310.

Reactions: dhrivnak
If you’re new to EVs you may not know that the inverse often happens in warm months; I can often exceed EPA range ratings in warm months by substantial margins.

You can watch the “energy” screen graph to see how close your rolling consumption is to the EPA ratings. There is a dashed line titled “rated” and if you’re consuming more than that, your range will be lower. If you’re consuming less the range will be greater than 310.
Even running AC?

Does using the defroster effect it the same way that using the heat will?

Yes. Anything that produces heat consumes energy from the battery. For example driving down the road at 55 MPH can consume far less than 10 kW of power draw. The heat, in cold temperatures, can consume up to ~7 kW while contributing nothing to forward propulsion. Incidentally air conditioning is far less of a draw.

No problem. Also, you've got an AWD Model 3 which is a little less efficient than the RWD Model 3. This is due to more weight because of the front motor and slightly increased drag when only one motor is being used. Unlike the Model S which has an induction motor in the front and rear, the Model 3 has an induction motor in the front and a PMSR (permanent magnet switched reluctance) motor in the rear. Induction motors can freely spin while the other motor is "off" and not using power to boost efficiency.

This is what the Model S does, the front motor is used to cruise at highway speeds as the gearing is more efficient for that and the rear motor is turned off and just freely spins. This is why the dual motor Model S gets better range than the RWD, but since the Model 3 can't do this the effect of having dual motors is the opposite and reduces efficiency slightly.

There was a "true" range chart for each variant of the Model 3 that's floating around on here somewhere and if I remember correctly, I believe the rated range of the dual Motor Model 3 is actually closer to 290 (with 19" wheels) due to the slight decrease in efficiency. The RWD "true" rated range from that same chart was actually 335 miles, so it's very easy to get the rated range (or higher) with the RWD Model 3 and a bit harder with AWD.

Even running AC?

The air conditioning at full-tilt bonkers demand probably tops out at 3 kW of power draw. Once the cabin is cooled it's likely to consume 0.25 - 0.5 kW of draw to maintain the cabin temp. The heating element uses dramatically more power (up to 7 kW).

There are a few ways to mitigate this by the way. One is to try to time your charges to *complete* around your destination time in the morning which will have you departing for the drive with a warm battery. The other is to use your phone app to start the car's climate control 15 mins before departure so that it can use shore power from the charger to run the heater and get the highest-consumption period of cabin heating done without depleting the car's battery. Maintaining a warm car takes less energy than warming up a cold car. You want to do this part from the wall power.

The air conditioning at full-tilt bonkers demand probably tops out at 3 kW of power draw. Once the cabin is cooled it's likely to consume 0.25 - 0.5 kW of draw to maintain the cabin temp. The heating element uses dramatically more power (up to 7 kW).

There are a few ways to mitigate this by the way. One is to try to time your charges to *complete* around your destination time in the morning which will have you departing for the drive with a warm battery. The other is to use your phone app to start the car's climate control 15 mins before departure so that it can use shore power from the charger to run the heater and get the highest-consumption period of cabin heating done without depleting the car's battery. Maintaining a warm car takes less energy than warming up a cold car. You want to do this part from the wall power.
Thank you. That was an informative and helpful answer. I appreciate it.

The heater is the number one killer of range.

If you expect to use your heater the entire time, expect no more than two thirds of your rated miles.
This is normal.

In the summer driving in a moderate manner you should be able to approach rated miles.

I’m looking for comments. In San Diego I drove my almost new Tesla 3 (long range) at moderate speeds over to Encinitas and back a trip of 37 miles confirmed by the odometer. The range started at 202 and ended at at 150, indicating that I had driven 52 miles. Something is not right! Any ideas?

In reality, that’s how it works. Once in a blue moon you might hit the EPA range, but under normal driving conditions you probably won’t.

Also, a lot of energy seems to be spent warming up the battery after the car has been sitting for a while, especially in the winter. My first few miles always show huge consumption, no matter how slow I drive. Over a shorter drive, that skews the average quite a bit.

B5665A00-D381-4A8E-BF84-5BC2FEBD9486.jpeg