Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing range on new Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is a minimum of 1.6kWh/1000ft, or ~7 rated miles per 1000ft of elevation gain, for the AWD vehicles (proportionately less for the lighter vehicles). It's non-negotiable, and can only be worse than that in reality.

You do get a lot back on the downhill though!
FYI, I'm at sea level, Long Island NY, and we have no real hills. Hoping to see much higher yields in spring and summer. Still love my Model3.

FYI, I'm at sea level, Long Island NY, and we have no real hills. Hoping to see much higher yields in spring and summer. Still love my Model3.
You will. If you really want to feel better, watch your energy graph and set it to "average of last 5 miles". Then turn off heaters, and set speed to 65. Wait a few miles and see where your watt miles end up. It's like gas cars, sure a car is rated at 25mpg, but that is in perfect weather, perfectly flat ground, no wind, constant speed at like 60, no heater/AC etc. etc.

Reactions: docdeb27
I have an M3 and an MX and I can easily get the stated range, worse range and occasionally better than the EPA cycles on both. It just simply depends on many many factors - temp, HVAC usage, speed, road conditions, elevation, weather etc. Similar to an ICE obviously. In 10K miles driven in my M3 I have an avg of 252wh/mile or a range of about 285 miles. I live in Truckee CA and work in MTV CA so have lots of varied conditions I drive weekly including ice and snow. Use the range graph under the apps button on your MCU screen to understand how your trending short or long term on any particular trip and then you can adjust as you drive - speed, HVAC use etc. On a long trip I start conservative and then if range is trending well I may speed up or generally push the car a bit harder. These are super efficient cars for what they are but you need to understand the "knobs" to get stated or targeted range. Also short trips are hard on efficiency just like in an ICE.

Also short trips are hard on efficiency just like in an ICE.

If you are running heat in an EV, it is definitely going to hurt efficiency a lot on a short trip, and less on a longer trip. It’s just (avg heater watts)/avg speed for the Wh/mi adder, and heater watts taper from ~10kW initially to 1-3kW steady state (for ~40-50 degree F outside temps).

If you’re not using HVAC, and it is not cold enough for the car to be spending energy on conditioning the battery, there’s not really much (if any) efficiency difference between a long and short trip, assuming similar average speed. At least that has been my experience. It’s probably slightly better than an ICE in that respect, which will change the tuning and fuel economy and run a higher idle speed if the engine is even moderately cool (room temp).