Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnecting from Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evorg

Dec 20, 2021
UK
My model 3 long range was delivered last week. Since having the car I’ve noticed it’s due a software update, so I set about following the steps to upgrade.
I initially connected to my home wifi router and tried to download the update, but noticed that the Wi-Fi signal was weak and kept dropping out, so the download failed to start.
I’ve since fitted a new access point close to the parking location and now have a strong Wi-Fi connection at the car. The app constantly says downloading update (with the progress indicator spinning) and the car display says it’s downloading, but the progress isn’t going up.
The thing I’ve noticed is that when I’ve got the Tesla app open on my phone, the app for the access point shows an active connection to the network. However, when I close the Tesla app, the car drops off the active connection list for the access point. All permissions relating to background app refresh for the Tesla app have been given.

Does the car have to be ‘on/active’ for the download to take place? Does the car not remain connected to Wi-Fi when it’s ‘off/locked/inactive’?

Is there any way I can restart the download?

Apologies for the large post, and probably my lack of correct terminology. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Solution
The car does not stay connected to wifi at all times, if thats the question. Sometimes a downloaded update can fail. In THIS specific case, if you have good wifi, AND an update has already stated its ready to be downloaded, AND it fails to install, THEN you can contact Tesla and ask them to re push the update.

All the qualifiers are because, people post here several times a day complaining about "why dont I have the latest update?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" If an update has not been triggered for your car, then the answer is "wait", BUT if it HAS been triggered, and doesnt apply, thats one circumstance where you should submit a service request with that specific information.

Be EXTRA EXTRA sure to put that your car has...
The car does not stay connected to wifi at all times, if thats the question. Sometimes a downloaded update can fail. In THIS specific case, if you have good wifi, AND an update has already stated its ready to be downloaded, AND it fails to install, THEN you can contact Tesla and ask them to re push the update.

All the qualifiers are because, people post here several times a day complaining about "why dont I have the latest update?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" If an update has not been triggered for your car, then the answer is "wait", BUT if it HAS been triggered, and doesnt apply, thats one circumstance where you should submit a service request with that specific information.

Be EXTRA EXTRA sure to put that your car has already attempted to download the update, and it failed to apply, to prevent getting ignored by tesla as one of the "I dont have the latest update" tickets.

Upvote 0
Solution
I definitely had problems with getting the car to download updates a few months ago when all I had access to was some crummy wireless. I ended up using my phone as a hotspot and it was still really slow even though the phone itself was speed testing at like 80mbps. So the phone was in the car and the car was "on".

But at home where the wireless is reliable I typically get notified that updates are available even if I haven't touched the car all day.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick replies. Yes it does seem like the update has triggered but has failed to download. I’ll get in touch with Tesla to re-push the update.

Is it best to submit this service request through the iPhone app or through the support section of the website?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick replies. Yes it does seem like the update has triggered but has failed to download. I’ll get in touch with Tesla to re-push the update.

Is it best to submit this service request through the iPhone app or through the support section of the website?
In the app:
  1. Tap on "Service" on the Model 3 screen.
  2. Tap on Select Service
  3. Tap on Software
  4. Tap on Update
  5. Tap on Done
If you see an additional screen asking for details, you can describe the problem. Tesla will then send the update out for your vehicle.

Upvote 0