Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discover a new trick to get software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have 2017.50 for a while and I keep wonder why I’m not getting the new SANTA update (2017.50.2)

Submit support ticket to Tesla, they said new update has been PUSHED but the car isn’t responding.

After debugging with support, they told me a simple trick to get updates.

Make sure
energy save is OFF
always connect is ON
Car is plugged in
Wi-Fi is connected and it has internet access

Most importantly, Tesla has attempted to push the firmware update to your car
If not, keep bothering the support and they can do a force push

All people get out of the car and close the door (so it’s car off state)
The open the door
Hold two button above the scroll wheel to reboot the front screen.
After starting to reboot, hold two scroll wheel to reboot center screen
Leave the car and close the door and wait
After 45min to 60min (depends on the Wi-Fi connection in your garage and your internet stability), you should get notification on your app telling you the software update is available.

Not sure if this could help but definitely worth trying if you aren’t getting the update you deserve

Mine is AP2 FYI

We've always been told wifi connections have priority because it saves data used on the cellular network.

So, reboot the dash and center console? You might wish to know you can also do a deep boot of the center console by holding your foot on the brake during the scroll wheel boot. Hold the brake until the T appears on the center console.

But on the all the people get out, close the doors and leave the car and close the door part, I think we should add hop around the car on one foot clockwise, change feet to your other feet and hop counter-clockwise backwards to unwind. Sorry, just too good a chance to pass be silly. ;)

Most importantly, Tesla has attempted to push the firmware update to your car
If not, keep bothering the support and they can do a force push
And some wonder why people see EV owners as “entitled”?
Note to new owners: support has enough to do without fielding calls asking when you’re getting an update. Youll get it when you get it. Updates are sent out slowly so if there is a bug, it doesn’t affect the whole fleet before it’s found.

So, reboot the dash and center console? You might wish to know you can also do a deep boot of the center console by holding your foot on the brake during the scroll wheel boot. Hold the brake until the T appears on the center console.

I have noticed this helping, but not always.

My theory is, the reboot fastens things up if there is an update waiting for you on Tesla's end (maybe it hastens some polling process?), but won't help if Tesla hasn't opened it up for your car yet.

TexasEV you raise a good point but wouldn't the middle ground be a setting that would allow us to manual update if an owner wants to take that risk? For those owners that are chill and don't care, let it push out whenever on it's own. But for those (like me for example) that want to stay on the cutting edge and have an update seconds after release....what's the harm there? If 50 people grab it early, let us be the testers and push 50 less to the don't care masses.

Note to new owners: support has enough to do without fielding calls asking when you’re getting an update. Youll get it when you get it. Updates are sent out slowly so if there is a bug, it doesn’t affect the whole fleet before it’s found.

I wonder, just as a philosophical question, is it really entitlement to want to have the same speed of service as some others?

From another perspective it would seem like a fair, democratic process that everyone's update schedule was equal.

Rushing this may be something, but I'm not sure it is entitlement.

I know batching is nothing abnormal, but I just don't think wanting to speed it up is entitlement.

It’s more impatient than entitled. Understandable given how the continuous updates are a major reason many people choose Tesla over another car.

Doesn’t seem any more entitled than hoping you’d win the lottery or get picked to be in the treatment rather than placebo arm in a study, etc etc.

We've always been told wifi connections have priority because it saves data used on the cellular network.

But on the all the people get out, close the doors and leave the car and close the door part, I think we should add hop around the car on one foot clockwise, change feet to your other feet and hop counter-clockwise backwards to unwind. Sorry, just too good a chance to pass be silly. ;)
I don't think that will help without a chicken in a brown paper bag. :)

• Funny
Reactions: mrElbe
It’s more impatient than entitled. Understandable given how the continuous updates are a major reason many people choose Tesla over another car.

Doesn’t seem any more entitled than hoping you’d win the lottery or get picked to be in the treatment rather than placebo arm in a study, etc etc.

Yeah, and I'm not even sure I'd call it impantient necessarily...

There are 10 customers waiting for a software update. If all 10 were to get the update on Tuesday, it would be impatient and entitlement for 1 of them to want it on Monday instead.

There are 10 customers waiting for an update. 6 get them on Tuesday and 4 are left waiting. It is NOT entitlement for the 4 to want the update on Tuesday too. Maybe one could call it impatience, but again there are folks who did get it on Tuesday, wanting the same level of service is not unreasonable.

Now, of course there are shades. If, for example, everyone followed a fair rotation and got every other update late and every other update early (or something similar), then wanting to speed that up for me would be entitlement, because the rotation would be fair. But of course there are no signs that Tesla follows any kind of fair rotation.

Entitlement is just not the right word for this. Impatience, well, maybe, maybe not.

TexasEV you raise a good point but wouldn't the middle ground be a setting that would allow us to manual update if an owner wants to take that risk? For those owners that are chill and don't care, let it push out whenever on it's own. But for those (like me for example) that want to stay on the cutting edge and have an update seconds after release....what's the harm there? If 50 people grab it early, let us be the testers and push 50 less to the don't care masses.
It’s not that others don’t care about updates, it’s that Tesla sends certain updates out to certain car configurations and/or geographic locations in sequence for a reason. It’s not about who is willing to have their car disabled from a failed update, or who is more chill about waiting.

It’s not that others don’t care about updates, it’s that Tesla sends certain updates out to certain car configurations and/or geographic locations in sequence for a reason. It’s not about who is willing to have their car disabled from a failed update, or who is more chill about waiting.

Basically it is about who is subservient to Tesla's choices. :)

Reactions: pilotSteve

because 2017.50 has BUGS
BT and AP doesnt work unless i do car off then on again (very annoying for long trip)

because 2017.50 has BUGS
BT and AP doesn't work unless i do car off then on again (very annoying for long trip)

Yeah, I sympathize with you. Having to shutdown or reboot the car is a terrible thing to be forced to do to restore function.
However, there's (by my ignorant guess) 20 million drivers/owners out there that wish they had that problem you describe. Maybe more.

Yeah, I sympathize with you. Having to shutdown or reboot the car is a terrible thing to be forced to do to restore function.
However, there's (by my ignorant guess) 20 million drivers/owners out there that wish they had that problem you describe. Maybe more.

Well the way I look at it, if I had such a problem, and I could in good conscience say that a software update would solve it (based on researching reports here and other places), I’d have no problem calling tech support and asking for a software update. I actually did this once (and only once so far, in 2.5 years) to get a fix for recirculate mode in the HVAC system, because it’s a health issue for me, and tech support opened a case with a service center and they pushed a new update to my car, no questions asked.

I sure wouldn’t ask for an update just to be on the bleeding edge however. I agree with @TexasEV that tech support and service centers have enough other things to do.

Bruce.

Lol.... been reading the ‘way’ to get updates NOW for close to two years....

The wifi we all know ‘helps’ as Tesla sure wants us to pay for the bandwidth.

The only other thing here I can see that would ever help in specific and not in general would be the MCU reboot because it resets your VPN connection to the mothership. That won’t get you an update unless you were already supposed to get one and your car was stuck somehow and the connection needed to be reset.

As was said, if your VIN isn’t in whatever batch, you aren’t getting an update. HoHoHo seems to have been a full release since it had app-specific features and Elon tweeted about it. I would think anyone that hasn’t gotten *it* should call Tesla Support and see what’s up.

(After getting a chicken in a bag and rebooting, of course! :D)

• Funny
Reactions: brucet999