Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a solar system from Tesla along with 2 Powerwalls set to backup my entire panel including a pair of TWC gen 3 on dedicated 50amp circuits. Based on the verbiage, it sounds like I’m in the “no additional hardware” camp and am just in need of a vehicle (or two) that supports V2H as it appears neither our 22 e-tron (fat version) or 21 Model 3 have this feature.

Is there any word on whether you can aggregate additional power to the home with multiple TWC/vehicles? Also, is this feature exclusive to Tesla vehicles? I'm getting ready to replace my Model 3 and this could be a slam-dunk on whether or not I proceed with another Tesla.
Powershare is Tesla-centric. Currently, Cybertruck is the only vehicle that supports it. No reason to think you couldn't run two Cybertruck in V2H mode, especially if you also have PW.

There currently is no standard for V2x. And most companies doing it are using DC from the vehicle, while Tesla is using AC. So I wouldn't expect Powershare support from anyone else.
There is a large trial in the Netherlands that is using car-share Hyundai/Kia vehicles with special on-board chargers that allow bi-directional AC charging and grid services. This is not a scheme available to private car owners. However, it demonstrates that it is possible.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
I guess my question is about the panel requirements. Why does a modern home built with a 400A panel NOT work with Powershare?

Is that what you are saying?
You can't put a Gateway between a 400A panel and the grid. You can put a Gateway after a 400A panel (assuming there is a 200A breaker for it) or possibly in parallel. Either way, Powershare can't feed a 400A panel.

You can't put a Gateway between a 400A panel and the grid. You can put a Gateway after a 400A panel (assuming there is a 200A breaker for it) or possibly in parallel. Either way, Powershare can't feed a 400A panel.
You can put a 400 amp panel on a 200 amp gateway, de-rate the gain breaker if required. I have 400 amp generation panels connected to teg.

I want to see a demo of PowerShare..

I got 400 amp service. 99% of all 400 amp services will more then one loads panels. 400 amp panels are expensive.
It is symantics. But yes Tesla doesn’t have a 400 amp gateway, yet.
Yah, I have 400A feeding two 200A panels. My original point was just that you can't do full house backup with one Gateway/ Powershare connection.
GW on panel 1 and leave 2 as unbacked up is an option. Or two GW and sets of PW.

Yah, I have 400A feeding two 200A panels. My original point was just that you can't do full house backup with one Gateway/ Powershare connection.
GW on panel 1 and leave 2 as unbacked up is an option. Or two GW and sets of PW.
I combined my house onto a larger, more circuits, 200 amp panel and back up that panel with gateway. Do loads calculation. I got backed up panel and non backed up panel. I did have Tesla use 3/0 copper for everything since my panels will have 200 amps on them, well at least house. I will eventually have a shop sub panel off my non backed loads panel. I also have evse on non backed up panel.

Reactions: mongo
I combined my house onto a larger, more circuits, 200 amp panel and back up that panel with gateway. Do loads calculation. I got backed up panel and non backed up panel. I did have Tesla use 3/0 copper for everything since my panels will have 200 amps on them, well at least house. I will eventually have a shop sub panel off my non backed loads panel. I also have evse on non backed up panel.
This is the way... 😀

Re genset transfer: Only if they allow V2PW vs V2H. I can see technical reasons why they would keep PW in generation mode.
V2H would kind of be useless without V2PW. If powerwalls are empty, then house shuts down while you go find a charge. I don’t see any technical challenges to this, really not any different then mixing with solar or generator. That’s why I want to see demo of feature with powerwall.
I wish Tesla would make generator receptacle box, connected to can bus with a contactor. Charging on solar is no longer a tax credit issue.

Last edited: