Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it also, but the 48V part of the PCS is a separate block. They could copy Cybertruck's charger module and carry over the 16V converter, or adjust the new ones to 16V. Of course, they wouldn't need 800V compatibility.
Cybertruck's planer inductors could be a cost savings. Also, active switching could be more efficient than the diodes previously used.
That is all true, but another thing to consider is that they haven't even finished the software for Powershare yet. For example, the Cybertruck can't enable the on-board outlets while charging, via either AC or DC, but Drew says that a future update will allow them to be used, but at a limited power level. So, they may not want to expand the number of Powershare capable vehicles until they have things more finished, tested, and polished.

And the Powershare Mobile Connector manual doesn't even mention the output potential that it is supposed to have.

What’s the consensus now?
Do we believe PowerShare will be available with the Gen 3 TWC?
Or will Tesla require a PowerShare capable UWC? I’m waiting to get a TWC. I definitely don’t need two of them.

What’s the consensus now?
Do we believe PowerShare will be available with the Gen 3 TWC?
Or will Tesla require a PowerShare capable UWC? I’m waiting to get a TWC. I definitely don’t need two of them.
Same as it has been, I think. If you already have Powerwall and Gateway, any Tesla WC is ok. If you don't, you need the Powershare UWC and a Powershare Gateway.
UWC is $120 more but supports most EVs.

Reactions: Jones1
just got my VIN for my Cybertruck Purchased the Universal Home charger
Used the mobile for charging before. Installing a one powerwall home back up and hope this is the bridge I need with my long range version. I have had way too many power outages in my area and hope with both of these remedies i have power and a great ride for many years to come

just got my VIN for my Cybertruck Purchased the Universal Home charger
Used the mobile for charging before. Installing a one powerwall home back up and hope this is the bridge I need with my long range version. I have had way too many power outages in my area and hope with both of these remedies i have power and a great ride for many years to come
Don't Foundation versions come with the UWC as part of the option package?

Long Range does not have the home charger just the portable one. I have several Tesla vehicles so I needed one
AWD includes Powershare Home Backup
Powershare Home Backup includes Gateway and UWC
SmartSelect_20240111_102332_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20240111_102158_Gallery.jpg

Assuming you submitted the survey that said you were interested, and your home qualifies. Otherwise, they give you 6 months of free Supercharging instead. (For the AWD, or 1 year for the Cyberbeast.)
Instead, or as consolation that the parts you bought won't be useful for a while?
A house with a 400A main panel is mostly incompatible with Powershare as is an apartment, but the UWC could still be utilized.

Base case, all Foundation models come with the UWC.

Instead, or as consolation that the parts you bought won't be useful for a while?
A house with a 400A main panel is mostly incompatible with Powershare as is an apartment, but the UWC could still be utilized.

Base case, all Foundation models come with the UWC.
The emails I saw made it sound like the free Supercharging was instead of any home Powershare equipment/install.

The emails I saw made it sound like the free Supercharging was instead of any home Powershare equipment/install.

View attachment 1007944
I read that as only install (coordinated by Tesla) can't happen.
If they are pulling back the equipment from the offer (on top of the $4k Beast installation credit) there's going to to be trouble...

Especially if they back out of delivering UWC which has lower requirements than Gateway.

If you already have Powerwall and Gateway, any Tesla WC is ok. If you don't, you need the Powershare UWC and a Powershare Gateway.
UWC is $120 more but supports most EVs.
My understanding is the Tesla Universal Wall Charger (UWC) is bidirectional and the Tesla Wall Charger (TWC) is not. Thus you need UWC to power share to home even if you already have a gateway and TWC.

Can someone confirm?

I read that as only install (coordinated by Tesla) can't happen.
If they are pulling back the equipment from the offer (on top of the $4k Beast installation credit) there's going to to be trouble...
I can see that, but don't agree. No install was included with the AWD variant, so there is no "instead" for anything but the hardware. And the reason the Cyberbeast gets an additional 6 months of Supercharging is because it is instead of the $4k installation credit as well. (6 months for hardware+6 months for installation credit.)

But I guess we will find out for sure at some point if people get a package containing the Powershare Gateway and Universal Wall Connector.

Reactions: Jones1 and MP3Mike
I can see that, but don't agree. No install was included with the AWD variant, so there is no "instead" for anything but the hardware. And the reason the Cyberbeast gets an additional 6 months of Supercharging is because it is instead of the $4k installation credit as well. (6 months for hardware+6 months for installation credit.)

But I guess we will find out for sure at some point if people get a package containing the Powershare Gateway and Universal Wall Connector.
Sure, only Beast gave a credit, but Gateway requires professional installation (for most people), hence the survey for all purchasers.
I read "instead" as "instead of having function Powershare".

6 extra months of added supercharging is in no way equivalent to (up to) $4k of install credit. Nor does it match Gateway+UWC cost. Tesla can say they can't do the install, but if they try just removing the products listed, that ain't good. (And yes, the official order form only lists "Premium Accessories" without itemization)

Will the Highland refreshed Model 3 have PowerShare? I would think that Tesla would standardize going forward. A LFP standard range Model 3 is way less than a bunch of Powerwalls.

In Puerto Rico, my power goes out at least once a week. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for 5 hours.
I don't doubt it but I'm not certain. Tesla stated that all of their vehicles would support V2X within two years and that was said early in 2023. Now it's a year later and this is a redesigned version of an existing vehicle. My hunch is that the hardware is ready to support this but it may be a while before the software is and before they announce it. A model 3 battery is still worth a few powerwalls in storage capacity!

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
I didn't get the letter
I have a separate RV parking area at my home and want to add a Charger over there
So my goal is two have two charging areas
So If the home back up comes with one Universal I will place this in my garage and replace my current mobile hook up
Place a second at the RV area
I currently have a 100 amp panel and will move to a 200 amp panel
One powerwall for when I am not home to keep things going
Hope this will be the Ideal set up

I have a solar system from Tesla along with 2 Powerwalls set to backup my entire panel including a pair of TWC gen 3 on dedicated 50amp circuits. Based on the verbiage, it sounds like I’m in the “no additional hardware” camp and am just in need of a vehicle (or two) that supports V2H as it appears neither our 22 e-tron (fat version) or 21 Model 3 have this feature.

Is there any word on whether you can aggregate additional power to the home with multiple TWC/vehicles? Also, is this feature exclusive to Tesla vehicles? I'm getting ready to replace my Model 3 and this could be a slam-dunk on whether or not I proceed with another Tesla.