Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would call many of the issues fundamental design errors, several more come from spreading the engineering, install, etc across three different companies.

Here's an example of one of the many fundamental design errors:

Agreed with others above that the industry really needs to finish writing and publishing workable universal standards for DC and / or AC coupling to the home energy systems. Vendor lock in is not the way.
I watched that video. When it came out. I also watched the update on the project. I believe she was able to get it setup right? It was mostly problems with the installation. I believe. It’s been a while. Since I seen them earlier this year.

I watched that video. When it came out. I also watched the update on the project. I believe she was able to get it setup right? It was mostly problems with the installation. I believe. It’s been a while. Since I seen them earlier this year.
No, that video just came out in the last week. The system still doesn't work reliably unless she parks the truck sideways off the driveway, jammed up against her chicken coop. The BT module behind the rear seats can't communicate reliably with the Ford EVSE mounted on the house. (I wonder if it is an antenna/positioning issue, most people have the charger mounted on the wall facing the truck, she has it mounted facing off to the side.)

Apparently, Ford is working on a solution, maybe a relocation harness for the BT module in the truck? Or a better antenna/receiver in the EVSE? Or maybe actually use the communication wires in the charge cord and forget the BT nonsense? (That is probably problematic as the charger in the truck is probably made/programmed by a third-party and Ford can't easily integrate it with their V2H functionality.)

No, that video just came out in the last week. The system still doesn't work reliably unless she parks the truck sideways off the driveway, jammed up against her chicken coop. The BT module behind the rear seats can't communicate reliably with the Ford EVSE mounted on the house. (I wonder if it is an antenna/positioning issue, most people have the charger mounted on the wall facing the truck, she has it mounted facing off to the side.)
Wow. That sucks. But can you ever trust a Ford. 😆
I’ve owned 4 Fords. Never Again!!! Lol

Apparently, Ford is working on a solution, maybe a relocation harness for the BT module in the truck? Or a better antenna/receiver in the EVSE? Or maybe actually use the communication wires in the charge cord and forget the BT nonsense? (That is probably problematic as the charger in the truck is probably made/programmed by a third-party and Ford can't easily integrate it with their V2H functionality.)
My neighbor has the system and it doesn't work.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak and Jones1
I have existing Tesla solar + Powerwalls + Gateway V2 in a partial backup configuration (backup loads panel).
Wondering if the Wall Connector has to be installed behind both the Gateway and the Backup Panel for Powershare to work correctly? It would actually be easier (location wise) for me to install the wall connector near the main panel but I'm guessing that just won't work.
Also there's a mention about a Gateway V3 but unclear if that's just for Powershare installs that don't have any existing Powerwalls...
*EDIT after reading the thread first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jones1
For home backup is their any advantage to having a Powerwall if you get a Cybertruck with PowerShare wall connector and gateway? Or does Powerwall give you more functionality?
A) you can still drive the truck and not have to unplug the whole house
B) depending on where you live you can still participate in VPP actions and generate income where with the truck I doubt they are going to allow that.

Anyone have an install of two Gateways at a single residence?
I'm thinking my partial home backup install of Powerwalls + Gateway V2 would ideally be kept on the same 200A branch of my 400A service, and then I could add a new Gateway and Universal Wall Connector at the 400A main panel as a separate branch for Powershare mode as a sort of "generator" tie in at the main panel? Does that make any sense or is it impossible?

Ok now we are getting some details:

This seems to confirm that you do not need the UWC if you have a Powerwall:

This makes it sound like you don't even need a Wall Connector if you have a Powerwall. You can use a Mobile Connector, or any other EVSE:

This confirms a special gateway with auto-transformer to make the neutral, if you don't have a Powerwall:

This makes a lot of sense. Need to make sure that in a grid outage event that the care going V2G doesn’t keep power flowing…I believe called anti-islanding. Can be really dangerous / deadly to line workers. The powerwall/gateway have this technology. And the powerwall appears to be able to communicate with vehicle (charge on solar)…so this makes sense.

I'm thinking my partial home backup install of Powerwalls + Gateway V2 would ideally be kept on the same 200A branch of my 400A service, and then I could add a new Gateway and Universal Wall Connector at the 400A main panel as a separate branch for Powershare mode as a sort of "generator" tie in at the main panel? Does that make any sense or is it impossible?
I have a 400 amp service, and splits to 2 gateways, 7 PW's.

Of course. But it's even better if you can get your Gateway V3 with a Tesla Backup Switch at the meter, because you could then power pool both 200 A branches between your PowerWalls and Cybertruck and not have to worry that one side will be depleted when there is still energy left in the other.

Of course. But it's even better if you can get your Gateway V3 with a Tesla Backup Switch at the meter, because you could then power pool both 200 A branches between your PowerWalls and Cybertruck and not have to worry that one side will be depleted when there is still energy left in the other.

Fingers crossed they develop a 400A service meter backup switch.

Reactions: Olle
Did I miss something? The document referenced states the maximum current is 200A, so it would seem to be something that lowers the cost (dramatically) of a Powerwall installation, rather than something expands it towards 400A.

Nice video, though.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Olle