Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our plans calls for a Powerwall 3. They were just approved by the city. We expect installation to take place with in the next few weeks. Location = SoCal.

Just posted this in another thread. I should add that our project timeline has been... not fast. But probably typical of CA these days:

2/7/23 - Order Placed, $250 deposit paid (16 panels, 6.4kW, 1 Powerwall)
3/3/23 - Initial Design completed, changes requested to panel placement
3/9/23 - Design updated with new panel placement and approved by us
3/9/23 - Purchase Agreement signed
3/16/23 - Site assessment completed, Tesla recommends roof replacement (asphalt shingle; existing roof 28+ years old)
3/18/23 - Architectural Request form submitted to HOA (roof + solar)
3/24/23 - NEM 2.0 Interconnect Agreement (SCE) signed & submitted
3/23/23 - Written Acceptance for roof + solar received from HOA & forwarded to Tesla
3/24/23 - Full Plan Set uploaded to Tesla account. Changes requested by us to re-route conduit under eaves or in attic
3/29/23 - Full Plan Set updated, $700 charge added for in-attic conduit routing
4/12/23 - Acknowledgement from SCE of NEM 2.0 application, warning of severe backlog and delays to processing
4/17/23 - Tesla submits plans/permit application to the city
5/1/23 - City rejects permit application, sends back to Tesla (not sure of reason)
5/2/23 - "We appreciate your patience" message from SCE regarding NEM 2.0 application
5/26/23 - Roofing contractor completes new roof installation and city permit signed off. Approved/signed permit + photos sent to Tesla & acknowledged
6/9/23 - City website updated; permit approved after resubmit
6/20/23 - Email from Tesla confirming permit approved, stay tuned for installation scheduling communication.

I'm ready to buy a solar system with 3 powerwalls. I'm waiting for the new version powerwall 3 to be available.
If anyone hears about the availability of the new version could you please post an update to this thread?

I have lost out on the Net Metering 2. Bad timing.
I have lost out on good financing when it was around 1%. Bad timing.
I am currently losing about $250/mo that I'm paying every month I wait.
I'd hate to place the order and two days later the new version of powerwall 3 is shipping.
My understanding is the new version will have LFP batteries. To me that means they will last longer.

Reactions: Jay Gatsby and Iain
Hi andy92782,
Congratulations on moving forward on your installation. Did you have to pay a fee for changing your design to Powerwall 3?
They obviously weren't in your original design.
They told me I would have to pay a fee because the permits would have to change because the specs would change.
Did they give you a spec sheet on the Powerwall 3? I'd be interested to see it.
Thanks for the update.

Hi andy92782,
Congratulations on moving forward on your installation. Did you have to pay a fee for changing your design to Powerwall 3?
They obviously weren't in your original design.
They told me I would have to pay a fee because the permits would have to change because the specs would change.
Did they give you a spec sheet on the Powerwall 3? I'd be interested to see it.
Thanks for the update.

Well, we're still not moving forward... Another week of no activity. But I can tell you the original plan set and schematic Tesla posted to our account on 3/29 specifically calls out the Powerwall 3. It always did. We never asked for it specifically. The permit filed with the city also indicates Powerwall 3.

The plan set lists the part number as Powerwall 3 [240V] # 1707000-0-G 11.5 kW / 13.5 kWh

I tried getting my design changed to 3 Powerwall 3's today. I tried calling 888-518-3752 but they are no longer accepting phone calls on that number. I don't know if there is another number they do let you talk with someone? I did chat with Samuel Tesla Advisor He said:
"This not a product we are offering at this time. This is not a request we will accommodating under any circumstance. There is no timeline and we are currently doing some field testing but a new version is not available for purchase. I do apologize for any inconvenience."
I wonder if there is a way for me to talk to your Tesla Advisor?
I am also in SoCal in L.A. County. I'm with SCE.
I think you are lucky to get to test the new Powerwall. I hope that works out good for you.
I'd really like to get my order moving.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KJD
I wonder if there is a way for me to talk to your Tesla Advisor?
I am also in SoCal in L.A. County. I'm with SCE.

Every time we've interacted with someone at Tesla either by email or chat it's been a different contact ([email protected]).

At this point I wouldn't necessarily view Powerwall 3 as a positive. There is a non-zero possibility that Tesla's choice of PW3 for our installation is what's currently holding it up.

Reactions: Docfxit
Found this interesting on Tesla's website under the $500 rebate for each Powerall installation.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 4.43.14 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
I have installation site inspection Tuesday, 8/15, Phila, for PW install.
Maybe I’ll learn something about the timing for PW3 and whether the order defaults to PW3 and/or option for $500 discount per PW2

Attachments

• A459A2AF-64E9-4761-9FCC-046513E25683.jpeg
    A459A2AF-64E9-4761-9FCC-046513E25683.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 88
  • FD9D6A8A-799D-456C-8D30-988685EE7685.png
    FD9D6A8A-799D-456C-8D30-988685EE7685.png
    367 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: TJ21CT
OK. I get it. Get in line.

If PW3 is not on immediate horizon, I may install SunVault by outfit that installed our SunPower panels. The installer did a great job and are local. Quote for two SunVault batteries is about $27k, which can be integrated later with a generator and will integrate with my SunPower AP to track production and usage.

Or the PW2 through Tesla quoted at $24,417, that makes integration with a generator more difficult.

Or a generator now, and wait for PW3.

Quote for 24kW Generac Guardian generator was $13k installed but will also require cost of propane tank and tank-install (underground likely).

Wife and teen daughters are tired of my prior solution - candles and Vermont Casting stove - that has worked fine since we bought our home 18 years ago.

Apparently another year of waiting is not the answer so, time to make a decision on a new solution: $16k+ on generator with cost of propane gas and maintenance, or $25k-$27k on batteries.

Likely go with batteries and see if we need a generator for central air down the road so that my solar panels are operational when the sun is up and the grid is down.

So, SunVault or PW2?