Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Throwing you guys a bone. Side panel close-up:
Thanks!
<6kW PV inverter.
Appears as though you can vary output from 5.8 kVA to 11.5 kVA based on breaker/wiring size. I imagine those kVA numbers are the same as kW for all intents and purposes.
I think those are build options, looks like the usual boxes where one gets checked.
Kva is the AC power factor adjusted reactive version on real power kW.

It would be pretty sweet if the weight was so similar if it had LFP chemistry.

I am not really sure but a quick google showed LFP is usually way less dense, by like 50%. It's possible they dropped weight in the case, and the internal components. I am impressed if its LFP, especially if it will have a good UL 9540A test result..
LFP is way less energy dense than NCA/NMC, so it is heavier on a strict apples to apples per kWh basis. Tesla was able to package the same 13.5 kWh in a smaller form factor, likely due to a prismatic LFP chemistry. A prismatic form factor also has far less "wasted space" than your typical cylindrical cell for a given set of dimensions.

So the math works out IMO. Smaller size due to prismatic LFP cells, but also heavier due to the use of LFP cells.

However, the solar inverter that is packaged inside and the die cast aluminum housing introduce other variables in sizing/weight vs the old Powerwalls as well.

It would be pretty sweet if the weight was so similar if it had LFP chemistry.

I am not really sure but a quick google showed LFP is usually way less dense, by like 50%. It's possible they dropped weight in the case, and the internal components. I am impressed if its LFP, especially if it will have a good UL 9540A test result..
This battery is LFP, 14.3kWh and 308lbs. EG4 PowerPro WallMount AllWeather Lithium Battery | 48V 280Ah | 14.3kWh LiFePO4 | All-Weather Energy Storage | UL1973, UL9540A (PRE-ORDER)

308.6 lbs / 14.3 kWh = 21.58 lbs per kWh

Tesla ?, 13.5kWh and 287lbs
287 lbs / 13.5 kWh = 21.26 lbs / kwh

So the weight per kWh is similar to EG4 LFP.

LFP is way less energy dense than NCA/NMC, so it is heavier on a strict apples to apples per kWh basis. Tesla was able to package the same 13.5 kWh in a smaller form factor, likely due to a prismatic LFP chemistry. A prismatic form factor also has far less "wasted space" than your typical cylindrical cell for a given set of dimensions.

So the math works out IMO. Smaller size due to prismatic LFP cells, but heavier due to the use of LFP cells as well.

However, the solar inverter that is packaged inside and the die cast aluminum housing introduce other variables in sizing/weight vs the old Powerwalls as well.
Yes, so with the same kWh capacity in both units, lots of internal weight must have been dropped to achieve only a slightly larger unit weight. I agree what I see does support LFP, and significant efficiency in design.

Reactions: Jeremy3292

Looks like this article used your install as a reference.

One reason I basically refuse to read electrek (and you will see so many people here with "my post may not be used without my permission" statements) is that they seem to just trawl internet sites and re post stuff.

13A PV current max and 480V PV PPT voltage max.
Absolute limit would be 13*550 = 7.1kW
Unless it handles multiple strings, then double (or whatever) it.
I think those are the same specs as Powerwall+ which has a 7.6 kW inverter - see below:

1694190749591.png

I think it would be 13*600 = ~7.8 kW

Hm….. I just got installed few days ago 2x PW, SoCal area too.
Looking at specs that PW3 i do not feel frustrated any longer ;)
The only reasons I want Powerwall 3 are bc of LFP chemistry (cycling) and the smaller form factor (space).

I really don't think Tesla is going to lower the cost of the Powerwall 3 that much, if any, over the Powerwall+/2. We see with the Model 3 Highland that those "cost savings" are for gross margin increases and very little will be passed onto the consumer.

PW3 looks more like a PW3+ and seems to be like 36" tall. Capacity is the same, and max output is only a little bit more than the PW+. Would love to see the line diagram provided in your planset/contract. Not sure why they need the disco between the PW3+ and the BUG (ATS) if there is 60A breaker in the BUG's internal kit (tbd). If the whole thing opens up, then it's not stackable with other units. Wonder if there is DC to DC charging going on for better roundtrip efficiency. If there is a Rapid Shutdown switch on the left side, why the need for the red e-stop button? I'm content w/ my 2 PW2's, and 3 Tesla inverters. PW+ doesn't provide much advantage to consumer unless there exists a large inrush current from geothermal or a large central AC system. Just faster install if utilities in a region approve the backup switch to island the house. There are ways you can future proof your system for V2X and large loads like non-tesla EV's but I couldn't help w/ seeing a line diagram that the electricians will surely bring to your house to wrap up the install.

The only reasons I want Powerwall 3 are bc of LFP chemistry (cycling) and the smaller form factor (space).

I really don't think Tesla is going to lower the cost of the Powerwall 3 that much, if any, over the Powerwall+/2. We see with the Model 3 Highland that those "cost savings" are for gross margin increases and very little will be passed onto the consumer.
LFP was one of expected characteristics of PW3.
PS visually PW2 looks much better ;)

LFP was one of expected characteristics of PW3.
PS visually PW2 looks much better ;)
The look doesn't bother me tbh. The pic is more of side profile view versus straight on also. I think the front is white frosted glass like the wall connector is and the aluminum housing looks sleek. We need more pics though to really assess.

LFP is what matters the most though IMO. Charge to 100% all the time, extremely high cycle count, safer for the home, etc. Just all around the best choice.