Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for any info on the software for a two powerwall+ system to actually function. Any updates from others that are in the same boat?

Unfortunately, thats why they call it the bleeding edge. Tesla is moving fast, but when they stumble, customers will get the short strraw.

From what I have seen others posting, the Powerwall+ is paired with up to 1 other Powerwall 2 AC. I have seen a couple of posts indicating there is some issue when multiple Powerwall+ are installed, but I'm not privy to more details. Give it "two weeks" and they may finish your beta testing lol.

Phew I'm pending a 1xpw+, 1xpw2, and 1x3.8kw install on Monday hope they don't have the 2xpw+ issue
You won’t. It’s the dual inverters from the + that are the issue. I technically have 3 Gateyways installed as each inverter is a gateway in addition to the regular gateway. Once I turned off the breaker to one powerwall/ inverter half the system began operating.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_
Confirmed with local crew who are here today that this is legit. Some comments;

If the PWs are stacked (more than one) only one of these is required for every stack.
The top is the inverter with integrated breakers for PW(s)
It's not DC to DC, powerwall remains the same with integrated inverter
Not being used in the NE due to the way it works - specifically only works with smart meters (at least today)
More color: National Grid requires a separate meter to track the solar output. That's not possible with the Powerwall Plus. It wasn't facted into the design and hence those projects are being redesigned.
Is Eversource allowing PW+ installs in MA w/o SMART meter?

Whoops, misread that 3.8 kW as your system size. I’m not sure if they will have issues. Who knows. I powered on the second inverter and it worked for an hour then shut the whole system off.
Make sure to ask your installer lots of questions for us too 😀
Well since one of my PW+ (the follower) is having inverter issue tesla reached out and said that the firmware should have fixed the issue. Later they identified that that wasn't the issue, the tech came out again and spent hours with tech support and their findings seem to be a controller module/connection to the power wall (battery portion), it seems that is not waking the battery up and not communicating. They are going bring a completely new PW+ setup, i should be be getting a schedule this week. Since i am still waiting for PTO i asked if we can go live without the secondary PW+. I was told since each PW has its own inverter and the strings are divided across both inverters the system will still run but will only have 13.5 KWH since its one battery. Per the design only 18 panels out of my 36 panels will be active if i loose one of the inverter, see design attached.

Attachments

• Power walls and Inverters.jpg
    Power walls and Inverters.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
If you have the switch instead of the gateway, Please ask about what happens if you take the PW+ offline, will the PW2(s) talk to the switch without the plus?

That would be a much better design. And bode well for those of us wanting to use the switch on older systems.
Btw installers today say they hardwire communication between the two inverters now of relying on wireless. I’m also hardwiring the lead inverter with Ethernet as well.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Btw installers today say they hardwire communication between the two inverters now of relying on wireless. I’m also hardwiring the lead inverter with Ethernet as well.

I have the gateway and not the switch but a pw+ and a pw2 and a standalone 3.8 inverter. I was told the pw+ will act as the main and have hardwire (not Ethernet) to the gateway to control the relay for disconnect. Wifi to the 3.8 inverter which will be a slave to the 7.6 on the pw+. Running a cat 6 to the 7.6 on the pw+

I have the gateway and not the switch but a pw+ and a pw2 and a standalone 3.8 inverter. I was told the pw+ will act as the main and have hardwire (not Ethernet) to the gateway to control the relay for disconnect. Wifi to the 3.8 inverter which will be a slave to the 7.6 on the pw+. Running a cat 6 to the 7.6 on the pw+
What is communicated using the Wifi connection from the 7.6 inverter on the PW+ to the 3.8 inverter? Does it control the shutdown of solar output during a grid outage with full batteries that way rather than through increasing the powerline frequency?

Sounding like Tesla has created even more naming confusion than needed with the Powerwall plus.
Sure looks like the "plus" is a essentially a pw2 (it has same base partnnumber?) with a PV Inverter added to it for some amount of array (maybe up to 7 or 8kw of panels.?) Also sounds like they threw configuration confusion in here too.
I can confirm that a gateway 2 has no inverter at all, but has control computer for powerwalls, a transfer switch to disconnect your home grid from the utility company, current sensors, and communications to tesla (ethernet, wifi client and AP, and cellular) . I have 3x PW2 (TPN 3012170 - 05-B) but they are clearly not a "plus" which @FurryOne showed above is a 3012170 - 25-B.
So question: From reading all these posts , it sounds like a plus model pw doesn't have the changeover/transfer switch device, but does have computer, communication, and throws in a PV/solar inverter. Can someone confirm that? If you have a plus, do you need a gw2 and or a new "backup switch" (which seems like a util side Meter plus a transfer switch?)