Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounding like Tesla has created even more naming confusion than needed with the Powerwall plus.
Sure looks like the "plus" is a essentially a pw2 (it has same base partnnumber?) with a PV Inverter added to it for some amount of array (maybe up to 7 or 8kw of panels.?) Also sounds like they threw configuration confusion in here too.
I can confirm that a gateway 2 has no inverter at all, but has control computer for powerwalls, a transfer switch to disconnect your home grid from the utility company, current sensors, and communications to tesla (ethernet, wifi client and AP, and cellular) . I have 3x PW2 (TPN 3012170 - 05-B) but they are clearly not a "plus" which @FurryOne showed above is a 3012170 - 25-B.
So question: From reading all these posts , it sounds like a plus model pw doesn't have the changeover/transfer switch device, but does have computer, communication, and throws in a PV/solar inverter. Can someone confirm that? If you have a plus, do you need a gw2 and or a new "backup switch" (which seems like a util side Meter plus a transfer switch?)
I have 2 PW+ installed in june, my setup is the gateway 2 and the two PW+ each with its own inverter, emergency shut off. No backup switch, no subpanels an no standalone inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have 2 PW+ installed in june, my setup is the gateway 2 and the two PW+ each with its own inverter, emergency shut off. No backup switch, no subpanels an no standalone inverter.
My understanding is that the powerwall+ can perform the Gateway control functions, so the only reason you'd need the GW is if you do not have approval from the utility for the backup switch, since the PW+ doesn't have the 200A load disconnect relays, which are inside the GW or the Backup Switch.

Sounding like Tesla has created even more naming confusion than needed with the Powerwall plus.
Sure looks like the "plus" is a essentially a pw2 (it has same base partnnumber?) with a PV Inverter added to it for some amount of array (maybe up to 7 or 8kw of panels.?) Also sounds like they threw configuration confusion in here too.
I can confirm that a gateway 2 has no inverter at all, but has control computer for powerwalls, a transfer switch to disconnect your home grid from the utility company, current sensors, and communications to tesla (ethernet, wifi client and AP, and cellular) . I have 3x PW2 (TPN 3012170 - 05-B) but they are clearly not a "plus" which @FurryOne showed above is a 3012170 - 25-B.
So question: From reading all these posts , it sounds like a plus model pw doesn't have the changeover/transfer switch device, but does have computer, communication, and throws in a PV/solar inverter. Can someone confirm that? If you have a plus, do you need a gw2 and or a new "backup switch" (which seems like a util side Meter plus a transfer switch?)
You are pretty much right. But the pw+ can be use with both gateway 2 and backup switch. In the case of the gateway it becomes more of a load center with built in cut off switch and monitoring to combine PV and pw circuit before feeding everything into the mbp

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My understanding is that the powerwall+ can perform the Gateway control functions, so the only reason you'd need the GW is if you do not have approval from the utility for the backup switch, since the PW+ doesn't have the 200A load disconnect relays, which are inside the GW or the Backup Switch.
The gateway also is used as a smart load center to combine the PV and pw before feeding into MBP, so no need for additional breaker in the mbp

I have a GW2, PW+, and PW2 installed in June: Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

My GW2 does not broadcast its TEG SSID and it is not connected to my home network. My PW+ inverter/gateway does broadcast its TEG SSID and it is connected to my network (I poll the API from my local network). My install was audited by a Tesla QA employee. I asked him why my GW2 does not broadcast its SSID and why it isn’t connected to my network. He told me that the PW+is the leader and this is normal behavior. There is a comm wire(s) between the PW+ inverter and the GW2, it connects to pin(s) at the top right of the GW2.

I have a GW2, PW+, and PW2 installed in June: Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

My GW2 does not broadcast its TEG SSID and it is not connected to my home network. My PW+ inverter/gateway does broadcast its TEG SSID and it is connected to my network (I poll the API from my local network). My install was audited by a Tesla QA employee. I asked him why my GW2 does not broadcast its SSID and why it isn’t connected to my network. He told me that the PW+is the leader and this is normal behavior. There is a comm wire(s) between the PW+ inverter and the GW2, it connects to pin(s) at the top right of the GW2.
Can confirm, I saw this when they were wiring my pw+ today. There's another comm wire for the inverter generating emergency stop button

Reactions: kairojya
I've had a 12 kW array with two Powerwall+ and one Powerwall 2 dead on arrival since being installed last Friday. Engineering stumped for a week.
One of my Powerwalls has been dead and not communicating since upgraded to
21.24.2 on Monday. I logged into the system and it now only shows 1 inverter but both Powerwalls. One powerwall does not have any data or information. I have a tech scheduled but earliest available is august 28th! When it came to my roof needing repair of a shingle that was damaged they showed up next day.
Im starting to loose my cool with tesla. Hopefully they get their cookies together soon with these powerwall+ installs.

I can't login to anything. If I reset the gateway and connect to its ssid it just tells me I have the wrong password to my tesla account. Three blinking powerwalls, a greyed out powerwall on the app with no solar panels showing, and if you refresh it just says "no recent data available".

Getting my install done today, but was told my system can't be powered on today because PGE needs to come install a new meter which I assume is the Backup Switch. Good thing that has to happen before the inspection, so hopefully that means it will happen within a decent time frame.

Getting my install done today, but was told my system can't be powered on today because PGE needs to come install a new meter which I assume is the Backup Switch.
Do you have a Powerwall+ installed with no Gateway 2? That would be the configuration where a Backup Switch is used. I have not yet heard of a Backup Switch being installed in PG&E territory, so if you are getting one that would be interesting news.

Another possibility is that you just need a different meter that works for NEM.

Do you have a Powerwall+ installed with no Gateway 2? That would be the configuration where a Backup Switch is used. I have not yet heard of a Backup Switch being installed in PG&E territory, so if you are getting one that would be interesting news.

Another possibility is that you just need a different meter that works for NEM.
I already had an existing solar system, so I assume my meter is NEM capable already. They are not installing another gateway, so much cleaner install. Guess I'll be the guinea pig for the backup switch. Only downside I see is that if they ever need to replace/service the backup switch they need to have PG&E come out also which can be painful...

Anyone else a the rapid disconnect button installed for their Powerwall+ install? I'm not sure why turning off the breaker wouldn't be sufficient, but wondering if I can find a cover for this. I had them mount it up a little high so my kids can't easily get to it.

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpg
    IMG_3573.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Anyone else a the rapid disconnect button installed for their Powerwall+ install? I'm not sure why turning off the breaker wouldn't be sufficient, but wondering if I can find a cover for this. I had them mount it up a little high so my kids can't easily get to it.
Because the pw+ is self powered by the battery. Turning off the breaker doesn't stop the PV DC generation. This button tell the inverter to shutdown the PV generation

There are a few covers that will fit that button, and still let it be visible. They are similar to NEMA 14-50 in use waterproof covers.