Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an uptime guarantee from Tesla? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give Tesla incentive to repair an install?
I understand that Tesla gives a production guarantee but that doesn't seem to be an incentive for repairing a problem. I'm thinking an uptime guarantee would be an incentive to get things fixed faster.

I currently don't have a problem. I'm reading a lot of people that have problems and delays getting their systems repaired. I'm sure there are a ton more people that are producing just fine and we don't hear from them.

I currently don't have a system. I'd like to know if there is anything I can negotiate when I place an order.

Does anyone have an uptime guarantee from Tesla? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give Tesla incentive to repair an install?
I understand that Tesla gives a production guarantee but that doesn't seem to be an incentive for repairing a problem. I'm thinking an uptime guarantee would be an incentive to get things fixed faster.

I currently don't have a problem. I'm reading a lot of people that have problems and delays getting their systems repaired. I'm sure there are a ton more people that are producing just fine and we don't hear from them.

I currently don't have a system. I'd like to know if there is anything I can negotiate when I place an order.

There is no performance guarantee, and no promise of reimbursement from Tesla for performance. Some other solar vendors may or may not offer that. you wont be negotiating repair times with Tesla though, they are not re negotiating contracts or anything

The solar panels "will guarantee at least 80% of nameplate capacity for at least 25 years." Also the inverter warranty "will cover defects for at least 10 years." These quotes are from the Energy Purchase Terms document. So if my solar is not working (I don't know why it isn't working yet for the second time in 1.5 years), will this continue to be covered for at least 10 years (25 if it is the panels)? Even if it is covered, it would still not be acceptible if it failed every year and it took a month to schedule service. Not sure what I can do about this...

Has anyone gone to arbitration?​

12.2kWh system. 1xPW+, 1xPW2.

Finally got my solar reinstalled after getting new roof. I added a Tesla Inverter, which increased my production ~50%.

Telsa said system properly sized with DC/AC ratio of 1.61. PW+ spec sheet max is 1.7. Tesla undersized the inverter capacity for my system. 1st inverter died after 6-months or so. Understandable, it was running max blast for most of the day.

Any arbitration experience appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20230913-151159.png
Screenshot_20230913-151210.png
Screenshot_20230913-151220.png
Screenshot_20230913-151229.png
Screenshot_20230913-151239.png
Screenshot_20230913-151245.png
Screenshot_20230913-151254~2.png

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
So, care to share with us your survey results for this incident? :)

It definitely concerns me, as I know when I will need to contact Tesla in the future, this is the kind of response I can expect.
The concerning thing here is a real problem vs a firmware update. As long the system is connected to wifi. They should be pushing them automatically or atleast once in a month they need do a sweep on their servers to see if any firmware updates are getting stuck and not happening automatically.

Reactions: Matt-FL
In mid April of this year (2023) I had a 5.6Kw solar+battery system installed at my home...I was excited! In the process of running wiring through the attic, one of the installers stepped off a ceiling joist and through the ceiling drywall...not the end of the world...talked to to gent and he was very apologetic and said he would let the office know. My advisor originally said it would be best to have Tesla do arrange the repairs and then, two weeks later, advised me it would be faster for me to get the work done myself and submit documentation (photos & invoices) for reimbursement. This was my preferred route in the first place. Documentation submitted on June 14, 2023.
Here we are in mid September and still no check but the worst part is the gaslighting I am getting from multiple Customer Care folks and even my advisor. So far the "check has been approved" on 3 different dates and was informed it will take 3-4 weeks to arrive...still no check. One of the best lines was that the check WAS mailed weeks ago and didn't I get it??? Then they had to re-submit it and wait for it..."it will take 3-4 weeks to arrive". This is making my head explode.
I went with purchase & install with Tesla directly as I believed in this company...naive I suppose. With no brick & mortar office locally, I am stuck with phone conversations with folks that seem to be reading from a playbook on how to stonewall a customer.
If anyone in this forum has any suggestions of how to get around first tier customer service reps, I would be greatly appreciative. If there is a Tesla rep that monitors this forum, I would like to hear back from you. At this point it would be hard to imagine a company working harder to alienate it's customers than Tesla Energy.

-Steve

So i had received an email about powerwall 2 rebate of 500 per battery if installed before Oct 30 2023. I submitted my request for two additional batteries to be added to my existing system. Job was done on time but the as built plans did not match the building permit as the desk engineer couldn’t think outside of the box. Luckily the installation crew did and made for a great instal. So the as built design took two months to get done and the next day i got building inspection final on DEC 20,2023 . I then asked about my rebate as payment was due With in 10 days they wanted full acACH access to my banks checking for all future tesla charges. No Fing way would i do that. So i called and asked to where i should submit payment and inquired about the rebate. I sent my check off certified mail and was told to email about the rebate. The response i got was we regret to inform you that the submitted time line has past as it was NoV 30th. I feel so wronged about this and on principle want to go to small claims to get my rebate that was promised if the installation was done by Oct 30th 2023. Any suggestions as to what court location to file at ? Thanks T R

Attachments

• IMG_3893.png
    IMG_3893.png
    653.3 KB · Views: 23
I feel so wronged about this and on principle want to go to small claims to get my rebate that was promised if the installation was done by Oct 30th 2023. Any suggestions as to what court location to file at ? Thanks T R

Pretty sure you will need to do arbitration, not small claims court, unless you opted out of arbitration. A 2 minute internet search turns up this info:

================================================

Requests to the Company and a copy of the Demand for Arbitration shall be delivered to the Tesla's General Counsel by certified mail at: Attn. General Counsel, Legal Dept., Tesla, 901 Page Avenue, Fremont, CA 94538.

================================================

Thats probably where you would start, or you would contact a lawyer and get specific legal advice.

My system was installed in Dec of 2022. I asked Tesla to please install 2 extra panels because I wanted to make sure to have enough for two electric cars in the future. Tesla was happy to accept the extra $1800 for the 2 additional panels, but what they didn't tell me and what is written NOWHERE in their contract is that the one (and only) inverter with their PW+ can only generate a maximum of 7.8 kW at any given time. So instead of Tesla telling me "There's no point adding two more panels" they went ahead and sold me a 10.4 kW system and 2 PWs for nearly $40K which I paid in full.

It didn't take long to notice the inverter clipping which began in March and continued through July 1 when the inverter failed. It took Tesla from 7/1/23 till 8/17/23 to come out to assess the issue. I had a feeling they would show up with no inverter, have to order a new inverter, and by the time it arrives and gets replaced summer will be long over.

That's exactly what happened.

On 12/13/23 Tesla finally arrived to replace the failed inverter and a failed PW. I also demanded they install a second smaller inverter to resolve both the clipping and the overdriven inverter that ultimately failed. My goal was to prevent this from happening again. If they simply replaced the one inverter it most likely would fail again, which wouldn't be too much of an issue except for the fact that they are so busy their response times are a nightmare and I'd again have to wait weeks, and ultimately months for the fix.

I have found examples of numerous others with this same problem - clipping and failure, and others with repeated inverter failures.

Tesla refused to pay the cost of the second inverter which they charged me $2,797.63 At one point I begged to split the cost of the inverter $1400 each. They told me "no".

Now I plan to sue Tesla Solar Inc. in small claims court for both the full amount of the new inverter as well as the True-up amount which was only $335. Fortunately, I had half the year with production, so the true-up wasn't bad. However, if my solar was working for the entire year I would have received a check or energy credits, so that is why I am seeking that amount as well.

I am considering if I should also ask for reimbursement for my time. I have literally 120 emails and there were dozens of calls trying to get this resolved. I'm still deciding about that part.

I am wondering if anyone has taken them to small claims court, and how did it work out?

I have many graphs showing inverter clipping, as well as the documented downtime from 7/1-12/13. This to me is a Tesla "design" issue and that is why so many inverters are failing. Instead of installing a 2nd smaller inverter for systems that are over 10 Kw they say/think their one inverter can handle systems up to "14 kW" which is BS because when they deploy them in that scenario the inverter melts, fails, and mine even leaked out the internal coolant.

Instead of installing a 2nd smaller inverter for systems that are over 10 Kw they say/think their one inverter can handle systems up to "14 kW" which is BS because when they deploy them in that scenario the inverter melts, fails, and mine even leaked out the internal coolant.
I don't think the failures, especially your leaking coolant, are related to oversized arrays which is common in the industry to better use the inverter capacity during non-peak times. You will likely not get enough extra energy from the added inverter to make up for the cost. (Extra panels is a more cost effective way to get extra energy.)

Do they actually do 100% oversizing?

I don't think the failures, especially your leaking coolant, are related to oversized arrays which is common in the industry to better use the inverter capacity during non-peak times. You will likely not get enough extra energy from the added inverter to make up for the cost. (Extra panels is a more cost effective way to get extra energy.)

Do they actually do 100% oversizing?
I've only had the 2nd inverter install since 12/13 and we have seen several cloudy days. I can tell you that for the clear days I am already seeing more energy production compared to any day of Dec 2022.

The comment about "common in the industry to better use the inverter capacity during non-peak times".

For me, I could care less about early dawn and last bits of light in the evenings. The clipping was bottlenecking my system from 10am-4pm and I lost what could have been 30% more production. The worst part is what ultimately resulted in complete inverter failure due to overdriving the inverter.

Ask anyone with a failed inverter if they'd rather have clipping, or less production at dawn and dusk. So far for me 2 inverters is working out nicely.

I should mention that I did mail in writing that I am opting out of arbitration.

"If you prefer, you may instead take an individual
dispute to small claims court.
You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after
signing this Agreement by sending a letter to:
Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539-
7970, stating your name, product, and intent to opt
out of the arbitration provision. If you do not opt
out, this agreement to arbitrate overrides any
different arbitration agreement between us,
including any arbitration agreement in a lease or
finance contract."

Are you 100% sure that is the cause of the failure? If so, how do you know that?
Because of a few reasons. Such as the numerous other Tesla Solar customers with this exact same story of the overdriven inverter and failure. Even in this thread someone said
"Telsa said system properly sized with DC/AC ratio of 1.61. PW+ spec sheet max is 1.7. Tesla undersized the inverter capacity for my system. 1st inverter died after 6-months or so. Understandable, it was running max blast for most of the day."

I've come across an article about a guy that had the same one inverter setup that blew THREE times. I didn't want to end up like that.

Plus when the Tesla tech came out on the first visit after the failure (after I waited 7 weeks for a response) the tech said "ya you probably should have had another (smaller) inverter".

Also overdriving inverters results in failures. Not to mention the clipping. My coworker has Enphase micro-inverters with zero clipping. Now that I have 2 inverters I won't experience clipping ever again.

Are you 100% sure that is the cause of the failure? If so, how do you know that?
1703909080316.png

Examples of this are ramped. Not just the clipping this new customer is about to experience, but the failure that soon follows.....
Honestly, a Class Action Lawsuit is warranted in my opinion since this is Tesla's standard design and it's affecting so many naive customers.
I like many found out about this unfortunately after the fact (after the clipping and failed inverter).

Because of a few reasons.
Got it, you are just making assumptions. Corelation is not the same as causation...

I would hope that Tesla has done a proper root cause analysis and made changes to prevent future ones from suffering the same failure. (Sort of like all of the Solar Edge inverters that failed because of capacitor issues, some people had three, or more, inverter failures before Solar Edge actually fixed the problem.)

Read this article about clipping

Clipping can be problematic for several reasons. Firstly, it means that some of the energy produced by the panels is not being used, which is wasteful and reduces the overall efficiency of the system. Secondly, if clipping happens frequently, it can reduce the lifespan of the inverter and potentially cause damage to the panels or other components of the system.