Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video seemed to be a pretty fair assessment for the Tesla solar path. Fortunately I was in the know prior to selecting our solar system and am happy with our system's design, cost, install time, warranty, and solar performance.

I just had my roof done in North Jersey (with the old contract pricing, post class action lawsuit etc) anyways the contractors messed up some drywall in areas where the ceiling comes close to the roof and the horizontal support beams in the attic some of them are lose. I had my own private inspector come out and he pointed out 12 areas of incorrect sealing and missing flashing between the new solar roof and my siding.

The contractor said he would come out the next day to fix in the interior damages. He never did.

So I contacted Tesla to have them fix the damages. They took off $200 off the total $40,000 bill lol....
Then I said that is not enough I want the damages fixed.
After that they gave me a generic Tesla number to call and I called it was useless and then the project advisor ghosted me.

Now I am again reaching out to the contractor and stating I will be filing a claim against his liability insurance if he doesn't fix the damages. I'll see what he does.
I am certainly not allowing an inspection to be done nor will I be paying for the roof until all related damages are fixed.

My last move will be contacting the state but that probably won't be necessary.

Looking for any feedback or any others that had their roofs done for their experiences, thank you!

Update: after the threat to the contractor of filing a claim to their liability insurance, he contacted Tesla and a Tesla contractor came out and fixed the interior damages. Still waiting on the exterior damages. The Tesla contractor left without doing those and without a word lol

I am curious to know how many people are waiting for inverter replacements? My inverter stopped working in June, and of course it took Tesla 3 weeks to even get out to my house and confirm the inverter needed to be replaced. Now it's September, and still no word. The status is it's waiting on parts from manufacturer. If that is the case, then no new systems should be being installed right now, right? But yet I see plenty of new systems being installed. Meanwhile, I missed the entire peak production season and all of my credits with the power company have been used up too, which means I get a normal power bill again next month. Glad I spent $24k on this to not have power bills! I think Tesla should be compensating me for loss of production. It's one think if it is out of their hands, due to the supply chain shortages, but since new systems are being installed everyday, I think the current customers should get priority over new customers. After all, we have already paid for our systems. New customers are not out any money yet.

we have already paid for our systems.

That alone is probably why it's lower priority. Old customers aren't feeding them anymore so no rush...not like you have much recourse. They already have your $$.

Single point of failure in these inverters is why I've always been a bigger fan of micro-inverters. Lose a few over a longer period of time and you aren't without production for months on end. People have argued (with me) that they cost more and are more efficient, but I really didn't see it when I asked for quotes in 2021 and who cares when you're offline for months. Enphase also has a 25 year warranty on them while SolarEdge is like 10?years I think. I've seen enough posts of those inverters being replaced here failing non-stop and on reddit that I always say avoid them at all cost.

Not much I can add on what you can do now other than don't use them if you were to ever replace stuff in your system or move to a new place. I already have lots of new ideas if we were to ever move on how I'd do a solar install again.

That alone is probably why it's lower priority. Old customers aren't feeding them anymore so no rush...not like you have much recourse. They already have your $$.
Yeah, that's my point. Maybe it's lawsuit time. I hate that it seems like the only way to get companies/people to do the right thing is to file a lawsuit. Tesla is now one of the richest companies on earth, and still they can't step up and do the right thing.

The status is it's waiting on parts from manufacturer. If that is the case, then no new systems should be being installed right now, right?
They are waiting for parts from the manufacturer, SolarEdge. And no, they aren't installing a new systems with SolarEdge inverters. They now use in-house made inverters for new installs. (Which aren't compatible with the wiring in place for a SolarEdge inverter.)

Glad I spent $24k on this to not have power bills! I think Tesla should be compensating me for loss of production
Does your contract have a production guarantee? (Some older ones do.) If it does, you will likely get a check at the end of the cycle spelled out in the contract. If it doesn't have a production guarantee they don't owe you anything.

Inverter low coolant from the first day of installation, called customer support several times, waited 3+ hours each time and still no word of coming and get it fixed, now they want to schedule inspection, LOL

Is there any direct number to talk to tier 2 or anyone that can help? emailed project advisor and no reply either.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
I would schedule the inspection. Are you still up and running?
the system is running but not in a healthy state, fan is super loud and production is about 1/3 of what it is supposed to be i guess since when inverter reboots it is not producing anything.

I feel if inspection passes, i would never get support, if inspection fails/not happening, they have incentives to fix the issue for me at least

Inverter low coolant from the first day of installation, called customer support several times, waited 3+ hours each time and still no word of coming and get it fixed, now they want to schedule inspection, LOL

Is there any direct number to talk to tier 2 or anyone that can help? emailed project advisor and no reply either.

Thanks!

Your project advisor will not be able to help with this. I have never (ever) waited 3+ hours calling a tesla energy specific phone number, during regular business hours of mon - friday 8-5pm. I suspect you may be calling some regular tesla phone number.

The phone number I have (for tesla energy tier 1 phone support) is 877-961-7652. No, there is no phone number we have for tier 2 support, they are completely 100% non customer facing so you will never (ever) get to talk to anyone from tier 2. Tier 1 will relay your information to tier 2 if its not something they can do.

Still, I dont think you are calling a tesla energy phone number because I have never had it ring more than 5-6 times, let alone waiting on hold 3 hours. I havent called in the past 3-4 months though.

Reactions: Eric99
Your project advisor will not be able to help with this. I have never (ever) waited 3+ hours calling a tesla energy specific phone number, during regular business hours of mon - friday 8-5pm. I suspect you may be calling some regular tesla phone number.

The phone number I have (for tesla energy tier 1 phone support) is 877-961-7652. No, there is no phone number we have for tier 2 support, they are completely 100% non customer facing so you will never (ever) get to talk to anyone from tier 2. Tier 1 will relay your information to tier 2 if its not something they can do.

Still, I dont think you are calling a tesla energy phone number because I have never had it ring more than 5-6 times, let alone waiting on hold 3 hours. I havent called in the past 3-4 months though.
Thanks! I really wish i was calling the wrong line, but that’s the number i called, i guess things are handled differently before and after PTO? After the 4th call this week, finally they scheduled me for next next week, hopefully they can top off the coolant instead of coming just for diagnostics

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I was a little skeptical choosing Tesla for my solar panel install. Lots of bad stories out there, but they came in about $4000 cheaper than anyone else. I figured I could stay on top of them for that kind of money. But today I got my PTO and I’m pretty happy.
Here’s my time line
6/13- purchase agreement signed. 18 panels, no PW
9/1- Install
9/7-city inspection
9/26-PG&E signed NEM agreement
9/30-PTO
The only “glitch” was the city inspector said we needed an earthquake valve on our gas line. Tesla arranged for a plumbing company to
come out and install valve at no cost to me. The city re-inspected the same day and gave us the all clear.
To be honest I was ready to go to battle to get my system going before winter arrived.

Maybe I got lucky, IDK. But I have to give credit where credit is due. Kudos Tesla.

My experience has been the same. I have a system I leased (3.06kW) since 2014, and then added (9.6kW purchased) panel only system this summer. The planning, scheduling, instal, PTO has all gone pretty good, I was not in a hurry for anything, that helped. About 2 months after instal, and a month after PTO, I noticed that one of the panels appears to have sunken in along the edge with its neighboring panel- see photo. I have put ina call- email to my project manager four days ago, still have not heard back. Will contact customer service next week if I still have not heard back. I hope my experience continues to be good.
85D2A4D2-796C-4FAB-9626-A8DB5F98057B.jpeg

Reactions: Slapshot
Thinking about getting Tesla solar and Powerwalls! Was hoping to get feedback on the customer support experience around that after and during installation. Especially since energy seems like the less resourced side of the business.
  • What has been your experience so far?
  • Has support changed over time (for the better or for the worse)?
  • Is it mostly chat support?
  • What kinds of things do you contact support for?
  • What else do I need to know?
Really want to rely less on the grid but would want support available to me if I was going to pay a lot of money to do that.