Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Energy / Auto Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the advice. I tried calling today and just get a message that their SoCal office is closed. It's after 9am on a Tuesday too. In addition my "Production Failure Open" notification in the app has been deleted. I opened up a new case in the app. This situation is very kafkaesque. I received an email from them yesterday saying to call a number to schedule service. The automated phone tree directs me to the app to schedule. The app deletes my request and I can't get ahold of anyone on the phone.

My PTO was about 2 months ago. From the beginning the inverter had problems, with frequent 30 minute shutdowns, sometimes 4 times a day.

It took about 4 weeks of chats to finally get Tesla to agree that there was problem, and that it was not just shading or clouds. About this time the inverter went down completely, permanently. So my $30,000 purchase is sitting idle.

I finally got them to put in a service request, and my app showed "We will contact you shortly" for a couple of weeks, when I again entered into a chat. Within an hour I had a service appointment just 4 days out. Hallelujah! I was excited.

An hour later I was notified that there had been a mistake and that my appointment was actually scheduled a month out.

Grr! My system has never worked properly, and should have been prioritized. The installation was never completed correctly.

Now today suddenly the appointment disappeared from my app. So another chat session. The agent assured me that I was still scheduled (a month out), but it was removed from the regular schedule and put on "Hold" status. No idea what that means, but it doesn't give me any confidence.

And without it appearing on the app I have no confirmation when or if it will really happen. I'm afraid I will be notified in a couple of weeks that it has been delayed again.

I guess I will need to enter a chat every day or two to confirm the appointment unless it reappears on the app.

They told me that once Tesla Energy has your money, they suddenly lose all interest in supporting you. I can attest to that.
I feel your pain and I am in a similar situation. I would suggest not relying on chat or email and just call them. Hopefully the scheduling phone number was in your appointment confirmation email. If not, just call 877-961-7652 and ask them to connect you with scheduling.

It has been another week Tesla service has yet even give a ETA on when they can provide me with a service date. I call them every other day and the story is the same. They don't have anyone available to perform and a repair, they are unable to schedule a repair and they have no idea when the situation will change. Meanwhile I'm working on filing a consumer complaints with the county district attorney's office and with my state's department of justice.

The system has completely stopped producing since late April; the system is not even 1 year old. Techs came out in early May and restarted the system and it worked for about a week and stopped working again. Techs came out in late May just to find out that it’s faulty wiring that is causing the issue. Techs are now scheduled to come out mid-july to take a look. What a pathetically subpar customer service that Tesla has. Does anyone has any suggestion as to how I can escalate this frustrating issue to Tesla’s management?

I have a solar roof and a tree fell on one part of the roof. It only damaged a few non-working tiles, so all I needed was some glass tiles replaced. It took a couple of months for Tesla to finally get back to me and by then I had called a local Tesla approved installer who had already fixed it. They were also cheaper than Tesla and responded in less than a week. At least my roof was still generating power during this.

You might check with an approved installer just to see if they can help. I’m sure it would cost, but at least you could get the system up and running again.

I have a solar roof and a tree fell on one part of the roof. It only damaged a few non-working tiles, so all I needed was some glass tiles replaced. It took a couple of months for Tesla to finally get back to me and by then I had called a local Tesla approved installer who had already fixed it. They were also cheaper than Tesla and responded in less than a week. At least my roof was still generating power during this.

You might check with an approved installer just to see if they can help. I’m sure it would cost, but at least you could get the system up and running again.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will def look into it.

The system has completely stopped producing since late April; the system is not even 1 year old. Techs came out in early May and restarted the system and it worked for about a week and stopped working again. Techs came out in late May just to find out that it’s faulty wiring that is causing the issue. Techs are now scheduled to come out mid-july to take a look. What a pathetically subpar customer service that Tesla has. Does anyone has any suggestion as to how I can escalate this frustrating issue to Tesla’s management?
I'm in a similar situation, but I can't even get Tesla to commit to a date for a repair after weeks of calls and emails. I've tried to find any way to escalate with Tesla, but they've built a system of gatekeepers that make it really challenging to talk to anyone with the authority to help.

You could send email describing your issue and what you want to be done to [email protected]. If they don't respond or haven't resolved it within 60 days you can start arbitration per your contract with them. This may be worthwhile just to start the clock in the event you find the techs can't resolve your issue in July. Keep detailed notes of every attempt you've made to get it resolved with them and any costs you have incurred.

Additionally you can file complaints with the BBB and consomeraffairs.com. If they don't honor the warranty, you can file a business complaint with your county's district attorney's office for fraud.

I have found this link to have helpful information: Your Tesla Solar Lawsuit Questions Answered - FairShake

Reactions: Docfxit
I feel a little sick to my stomach but we basically had only produced energy in March In 2023. Things have been busy and when we were getting energy bills from SoCal for $10, it was on autopay so I didn’t really pay attention. This month, it went to $40 which caught my attention. My gateway has never been reliable so I just got used to the app being incorrect.

Followed all the steps on the Tesla app to troubleshoot and am getting a flashing green, solid blue light on the inverter. Tesla is coming out but not for another 10 days. I never got any notification from the app on Solr not producing power….plenty from the car even though on the notifications were turned on on my iphone For both car and energy. the Tesla told me to check my app every day and at least once a month. Ugh who has time to do that?!

Anyway, got on this forum and found about the Solar Edge app so now I have that.

I don’t think that I have a guarantee generation clause in my contract.

Has anyone had had this happen to them?

I feel a little sick to my stomach but we basically had only produced energy in March In 2023. Things have been busy and when we were getting energy bills from SoCal for $10, it was on autopay so I didn’t really pay attention. This month, it went to $40 which caught my attention. My gateway has never been reliable so I just got used to the app being incorrect.

Followed all the steps on the Tesla app to troubleshoot and am getting a flashing green, solid blue light on the inverter. Tesla is coming out but not for another 10 days. I never got any notification from the app on Solr not producing power….plenty from the car even though on the notifications were turned on on my iphone For both car and energy. the Tesla told me to check my app every day and at least once a month. Ugh who has time to do that?!

Anyway, got on this forum and found about the Solar Edge app so now I have that.

I don’t think that I have a guarantee generation clause in my contract.

Has anyone had had this happen to them?

I had a production failure that still hasn't been resolved by Tesla after 2 months. They are sending a service team in another 4 weeks and it's been a big challenge to get anyone from Tesla to help. I also did not get an alert from the Tesla app.

Does the Solar Edge app work with a Tesla Engery system? I have a Powerwall and Tesla branded inverter. I wish the Tesla app had alerted me to issues.

Update - so the techs finally came out and spent 4-5 hours working on the solar system and got the system to produce again; I was told that they replaced MCI. But it stopped producing completely again earlier this afternoon. My system (solar + pw) has been useless since April. I am supposed to hear back from Ops team within 48 hours but how knows when they can come out again??? I now have zero confidence in their ability to completely fix the issue. This is absolutely insane. I have a few friends who are interested in getting Tesla Solar + PW packages; I am telling them to not even think about it.

Now they are telling me that it COULD be an equipment failure. It has taken 4 separate tech visits and numerous online troubleshooting to get to this point. My system has completely stopped producing since April (originally installed Sep last year). Tesla is now telling me that it would take up to two weeks for their Tier-2 team to determine which equipment to replace. How can they operate like this and be ok?

Now they are telling me that it COULD be an equipment failure. It has taken 4 separate tech visits and numerous online troubleshooting to get to this point. My system has completely stopped producing since April (originally installed Sep last year). Tesla is now telling me that it would take up to two weeks for their Tier-2 team to determine which equipment to replace. How can they operate like this and be ok?
You need to give them a deadline to fix your equipment. Tell them you will file a complaint with the CSLB if your issue is not fixed by that date. Do this in writing to [email protected]. If you are in Northern California, you file the complaint using this form: https://web.cslb.ca.gov/Resources/FormsAndApplications/SolarComplaintForm.pdf

I think just letting them know you are prepared to file a formal complaint may motivate them to do the right thing and expedite your repair. If not, file the complaint. The CSLB will get involved and that may help bring this to a satisfactory conclusion.

This month it was my first year anniversary with Tesla Solar Panels and Powerwall. My setups is 12.8 kW Solar Panel System (Estimated energy produced: 16,138 kWh/yr) with 1 Powerwall.

In this first year total generation was 10kWh. Some 55% of the estimate Tesla gave me when I purchased the system.

What options do I have to complain and get the system fixed to produce the estimated energy? I wouldn´t have installed the system if the production would have been so low.

I already contacted Tesla twice (first time they disregard my complain, now they say they are analyzing the data, but I don´t have much hope that anything is going to come out of this).

I understand that an estimate is just that, an estimate, but I would expect the real numbers to be +/-10% of the estimate. Maybe +/-15%. In my case it's a huge difference.

This is the fist year, so nothing changed as to justify the lowre performance. Solar panels are new, no trees have grown to cover the sun over the panels, no new buildings, anything whatsoever.

For instance, July, which was mostly sunny here in Houston (I think we didn´t have rain like in 3 weeks) and which should be the month with highest production, the system only generated 950kWh. If we factor in that there are a few days still in the month, let's say I'm going to have generated 1150kWh. Which would equate to 12,000kWh in the year, still way lower than estimated by Tesla when I purchased the system.

Keep in mind late summer months are often not the highest. The output gets limited by panels getting to hot. Good ventilation under the panels is important.

Some of my best months are late spring and not summer.

Possibly the excessive hot summer might be lowering your output. But not enough to account for your numbers.

My own rule of thumb in the northeast is a 12kw system will roughly output 12kw.

But in the south a 12kw system should produce a ton more. Like 50% more.

So on average in the south their estimates sound typical (not crazy). Hopefully something is defective and can be fixed.

Keep in mind late summer months are often not the highest. The output gets limited by panels getting to hot. Good ventilation under the panels is important.

Some of my best months are late spring and not summer.

Possibly the excessive hot summer might be lowering your output. But not enough to account for your numbers.

My own rule of thumb in the northeast is a 12kw system will roughly output 12kw.

But in the south a 12kw system should produce a ton more. Like 50% more.

So on average in the south their estimates sound typical (not crazy). Hopefully something is defective and can be fixed.

Something that I see is that starting on May the power production is not smooth throughout the day, even on a day without clouds. It seems that the system is going on and off.

April was the last month when I could see, in sunny days, a smooth generation output.

This month it was my first year anniversary with Tesla Solar Panels and Powerwall. My setups is 12.8 kW Solar Panel System (Estimated energy produced: 16,138 kWh/yr) with 1 Powerwall.

In this first year total generation was 10kWh. Some 55% of the estimate Tesla gave me when I purchased the system.

What options do I have to complain and get the system fixed to produce the estimated energy? I wouldn´t have installed the system if the production would have been so low.

I already contacted Tesla twice (first time they disregard my complain, now they say they are analyzing the data, but I don´t have much hope that anything is going to come out of this).

I understand that an estimate is just that, an estimate, but I would expect the real numbers to be +/-10% of the estimate. Maybe +/-15%. In my case it's a huge difference.

This is the fist year, so nothing changed as to justify the lowre performance. Solar panels are new, no trees have grown to cover the sun over the panels, no new buildings, anything whatsoever.

For instance, July, which was mostly sunny here in Houston (I think we didn´t have rain like in 3 weeks) and which should be the month with highest production, the system only generated 950kWh. If we factor in that there are a few days still in the month, let's say I'm going to have generated 1150kWh. Which would equate to 12,000kWh in the year, still way lower than estimated by Tesla when I purchased the system.

Check your contract to see if there is a production guarantee. Keep calling Tesla and asking them to review the data to see if the system is turning off, cycling etc. Those are the only real options.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have had Tesla solar panels for about 1.5 years so far and the panels have failed for the second time. Tesla service takes about a month to come out and fix it (they fixed it last year saying that some circuit tripped on the roof and that they would replace it with a breaker that is less prone to trip). I am waiting for them to come out again for a seamingly similar failure but it is again taking a month for them to come out. At this rate, the solar has been down about 10% of the time. When it is working, generation is great but I am starting to regret my decision to go with Tesla considering the amount of downtime waiting for service I have experienced so far, especially during the most generating months.

Assuming the panels are failing the same as before, what would you all suggest to avoid the issue or fix it myself?

For background, I have 12x400watt panels (Hanwha Q-cells) + 3.8kW Tesla Inverter (no powerwall).