Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larry: I would think there wouldn't be a conflict between daytime/evening hotel visitors charging, and overnight hotel guests charging...

Hi Robb,

I suppose that would depend on how many chargers are installed and how many hotel guests were competing for them with visitors having an evening dinner. All I am saying is that I have no problem with this hotel's preference to reserve their free chargers for overnight hotel guests.

Larry

I sent a note to Drive Electric Orlando pointing out that many had sent queries about charging at Disney and gotten negative replys consistently. Here is their email reply:

Hi James,

No hotels (or any of the parks) currently have charging stations on property. But, Disney has committed to installing them as part of this initiative and is working to determine the precise placement, timeline for installation, etc.

We are very excited to have Disney moving forward with charging station installation. We expect to make an announcement in partnership with Disney with more details in the next couple of weeks.

Please, let us know if you have any other questions.

i recently contacted the RCID regarding chargers and this was the reply:

Good morning Robert … I can confirm we will have three charging stations in each of our two garages.* While your specs request 50 amps, ours will be 40 amps, which I presume may mean a little longer charging time for your vehicle.* Hopefully that will also mean you will spend more time shopping and dining with us during your visit. Given what we have planned, I think it will be worth it. **

These reference the new parking garages at Downtown Disney. No time frame but I know construction has started.

i recently contacted the RCID regarding chargers and this was the reply:

Good morning Robert … I can confirm we will have three charging stations in each of our two garages.* While your specs request 50 amps, ours will be 40 amps, which I presume may mean a little longer charging time for your vehicle.* Hopefully that will also mean you will spend more time shopping and dining with us during your visit. Given what we have planned, I think it will be worth it. **

These reference the new parking garages at Downtown Disney. No time frame but I know construction has started.

This is phenomenal news! Glad to see the new progress at Disney Springs will include some EV love.

This is great news...until now I have only gotten generic responses from Disney. Sounds like RCID may be a better source of information and updates going forward.

For those who do not know, "Disney Springs" is the name for the re-vamped entertainment district now known as "Downtown Disney" at Florida's WDW. The first stage of completion, which is supposed to include one parking garage, is slated for opening late 2014 or early 2015. Also a good sign: NovaCharge--who is responsible for several charge stations in Central Florida--is listing Disney on its client page. http://www.novacharge.net/clients

With chargers for Downtown Disney essentially confirmed, here's to hoping some are in the works for the parks and hotels, as well. While Downtown Disney is linked to the entire resort by buses, it is not necessarily ideal (getting to the parks requires you to transfer at a hotel).

IMG_4755.jpeg

We are staying at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort at Walt Disney World in Orlando. When we checked in we asked the valet if we could find a place to plug in. He directed us to a row in the parking lot with a 120v plug behind each space and invited us to plug in. He said that they have had another Tesla use the plugs before.

Since we're staying 3 nights, the slow charge shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
View attachment 37936We are staying at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort at Walt Disney World in Orlando. When we checked in we asked the valet if we could find a place to plug in. He directed us to a row in the parking lot with a 120v plug behind each space and invited us to plug in. He said that they have had another Tesla use the plugs before.

Since we're staying 3 nights, the slow charge shouldn't matter.

Thanks Bob,

That's useful information.

The link to the attachment didn't work for me.

Larry

I think I fixed the image.

Had a great trip. Came home yesterday and averaged 301 w/h per mile at 65 and 70 mph. Did much better than expected considering the relatively cool 54 degree temp when we started.

The outlets appear to be 5-20 type 20 amp 120v. They were installed upside down. I used the 5-15 adapter and just ordered the 5-20 adapter from Tesla for next time.
Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.32.27 AM.png

Last edited:
At CES today, ChargePoint told me they are putting 20 chargers into the Mickey & Friends structure at Disneyland. They actually thought they were live already but I can't find any word of these online so I'm guessing they aren't in yet.

They also said that they have installed 80amp stations in ~70 or so places around the country and that the next version of their app will let you filter on those.

At CES today, ChargePoint told me they are putting 20 chargers into the Mickey & Friends structure at Disneyland. They actually thought they were live already but I can't find any word of these online so I'm guessing they aren't in yet.

They also said that they have installed 80amp stations in ~70 or so places around the country and that the next version of their app will let you filter on those.

80 amp?? I thought J1772 was limited to 70?

Edit: Just looked it up and it does indeed support 80A. I guess I just assumed because of all of the 70A J1772s in CA and Canada. This is big news and makes me happy to have dual chargers.