Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display stuck at 74mph, while car drove just fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this happen? I was on the highway and was nearing my home exit so took the car off autodrive and was keeping my speed at 74 (speed limit is 65) and was kindof impressed that I had kept it that way w/out the cars help for the last few miles, not really thinking too much of it and then didn't look at the readout till we pulled in and parked in the driveway. The car still read that I was going 74 and I was stopped and in park. I had to reboot it. I have not had a chance to call Tesla about it yet but wondered if anyone else has seen this behavior?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The MCU can freeze up. I've only had it happen ~5 times in a year/27K mi of ownership, others experience it more frequently. Sometimes it may reboot by itself. It won't affect the car's ability to be driven, but it can be disconcerting. BTW, you can reboot while driving.
What???? You can reboot while driving? (-)(-) (big eyes, not boobs). That makes me feel odd. Have you done it?

Yes. The drive computer and the screen are entirely separate. The turn signals even work, you just can't hear them until the screen is back on. I've rebooted multiple times driving, mostly a few firmwares ago when LTE would drop and not come back up during a long drive.

Give it a try in your driveway or empty parking lot if you're feeling un-easy.

Yes. The drive computer and the screen are entirely separate. The turn signals even work, you just can't hear them until the screen is back on. I've rebooted multiple times driving, mostly a few firmwares ago when LTE would drop and not come back up during a long drive.

Give it a try in your driveway or empty parking lot if you're feeling un-easy.
Good suggestion. It would have been great to know this (and be comfortable) when I had to do my last reboot due to loosing my ability to sense nearby vehicles, the road and all auto-driving capabilities and voice commands. ~ this was from using sentry mode/having the usb stick in all of the time.

What???? You can reboot while driving? (-)(-) (big eyes, not boobs). That makes me feel odd. Have you done it?
The car did it first to me, one time. :) Yeah, I've done it a number of times. The signaling lights, and even Autopilot responding to them, still work, although you don't get feedback that the blinker is on. Of course you can't see your speed but you can use the right thumb wheel to control speed set point, I believe.

All it really does is make me wish there was a toggle I could flip to turn the screen off, for that little bit more minimalism. :)

Reactions: one true morty
Has anyone seen this happen? I was on the highway and was nearing my home exit so took the car off autodrive and was keeping my speed at 74 (speed limit is 65) and was kindof impressed that I had kept it that way w/out the cars help for the last few miles, not really thinking too much of it and then didn't look at the readout till we pulled in and parked in the driveway. The car still read that I was going 74 and I was stopped and in park. I had to reboot it. I have not had a chance to call Tesla about it yet but wondered if anyone else has seen this behavior?

How did you disable AP? If by chance you turned the wheel to take control, TACC is still enabled.

Sometimes I reboot while driving just to freak my passengers out. The only bad thing that happens is that you lose your music and A/C for a few seconds. I don't know about AP2+ cars, but AP1 will keep working just fine during the reboot.
That is awesome (and twisted). I am going to have to try it. After I do it by myself.

How evil is it of me to be really excited to do this to my husband to see if I can make him scream?

Last edited:
Yup, I do it whenever I get a "glitch" and there isn't much traffic around. Lights, blinkers, brake lights, all continue to work.

I have had the MCU completely lockup once, speed indication, maps, music, all froze. I quick reboot corrected it. Just hold the scroll buttons in until the T appears. If you have to signal or make a 90 degree onto a new road it can be a bit of a challenge to keep the buttons pressed but you figure it out. Lose of LTE is another reason to do it.

Shortly after my wife got her Model 3 I had her try rebooting while she was driving and I was sitting in the passenger seat. She had seen me do the reboot but still wanted to experience it for herself with me present.