Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Displayed range accuracy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 MR is just over a year old and has 3500 miles on it. The displayed range is now at 248 miles on a full charge. The car has only been SC’d twice and charged to 100% once. Is the displayed range more due to driving habits or indicative of battery degradation?

248 miles is plenty fine (As long as it doesn’t drop much more) so I’m not complaining, just wondering if that means anything regarding battery health. I usually have it set to % rather than miles anyways.

Is the displayed range more due to driving habits or indicative of battery degradation?

248 miles is plenty fine (As long as it doesn’t drop much more) so I’m not complaining, just wondering if that means anything regarding battery health. I usually have it set to % rather than miles anyways.

Would not be a normal day without this type of post (please see the 10s of other posts on this using appropriate search terms)!

Your vehicle has about 237Wh/rmi*248rmi = 58.8kWh of capacity according to the estimate of the BMS. This estimate is not dependent on driving habits. It's generally a very good estimate, though I would be careful interpreting it if your battery is cold at all (look after a nice warm drive, preconditioning, Supercharging to over 80%, etc.).

When new, your vehicle had at least 62.5kWh of capacity, and probably closer to 63.5kWh (vehicle used for EPA testing had at least 1000 miles on it and 63.8kWh of capacity).

So you have about 7.5% loss of capacity, which is relatively normal for a vehicle of this age. No problem at all, and the most rapid capacity loss is likely done, so presumably it will be a while before your capacity loss exceeds 15% (no one knows yet!).

Here is the reference data provided by Tesla (in orange) to the EPA:

2020, 2019, 2018 Model 3 Battery Capacities & Charging Constants

Last edited: