TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Distance from Charger to Car

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Kevin Harney, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Is there a limitation on this?

Reason I ask is that I am in a Townhouse and the distance from my nearest plug to my parking space is about 40 feet. I am hoping that I will not have to install a plug closer to the car. :confused:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I believe the charge is built into the car, so the question is more how long can the cord be. IIRC it requires a certain guage cable, which may be pricy, but the distance should be fairly unlimited given a large enough cord.

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I saw that DaveD has a heavy gauge extension cord for his 110 MC. I don't know about 220 volt MC extension cords.

4. donauker

donauker Member

Extension Cords for the NEMA 14-50 are readily available but are quite heavy. Just google "50 amp RV extension cord".

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, all Tesla models have the charger built into the car.
    But they have special connectors so you can't just use "any old cable". You need an extension cord connected to one of their special cables.

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

OK I did know that the actual charger was in the car. What I am wondering is if there is a maximum distance that you can run an extention cord to the car ? I thought I heard something like 20-25 feet for the Roadster. Also, it would have to be something that is rated for OUTDOOR use.

7. donauker

donauker Member

A high quality 12/3 extension cord of 25' or probably even 50' would be fine. The issue will be that the MC120 plug-in head and also the charging cable connector to the car are likely not weather proof.

8. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

For one data point... I charge the Rav4EV on the end of 70' of 10/3 regularly. The charger draws 28A (220V). Certainly there is some voltage drop over that length, and the cord does get very mildly warm - and I've never had a problem after doing it for six years.