Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY 12v replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if running a battery tender (trickle charger) when the car sits for periods of time, such as overnight, might eliminate the vampire drain and preserve the battery. Anyone have any data that shows this helps prolong the OEM battery life?

You'd need something much stronger than a tender that could put out 70 watts....at least in my case for my 2015. I've heard the very latest of the refresh have a much much smaller vampire drain.

BTW, I'm all for LPE batteries but not at $400 a pop when the chemistry is supposed to be 1/10th the cost of lead acid batteries / kwh. I guess I was just a little put off by the photoshop picture on the ebay add and the buy it now auction price being only a deposit and not for the actual battery.

BTW, I'm all for LPE batteries but not at $400 a pop when the chemistry is supposed to be 1/10th the cost of lead acid batteries / kwh. I guess I was just a little put off by the photoshop picture on the ebay add and the buy it now auction price being only a deposit and not for the actual battery.
This is definitely a "beta" product and as such is expensive and may not work as advertised.
I think it's interesting and I do hope it works out (and the price drops).
(Interesting side note. I bought a LiFePO4 battery sold as an emergency jump starter for my old Land Rover which is deteriorating in many unusual ways. It's a small lightweight battery that supposedly has 600 amps cold cranking power. It also has USB charging ports, a 19v laptop charge port and a 12v supply. Haven't tested it yet as a starter but it's interesting.)
GOOLOO Car Jump Starter Battery Charger
Link: Amazon.com: GOOLOO 600A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter Phone Power Bank (Up to 6.5L Gas or 5.0L Diesel Engine) Auto Battery Pack Booster Charger with LED Light: Automotive

Hey guys, thanks for mentioning my batteries in this discussion! I'm happy to read and hear the discussions back and forth on the technology! We (BattMobile) are within a week or two of getting our first production batch of batteries into customers hands, we are also working on an installation guide with visual aids and a full installation video (of the tough ones, not the simple D models). For our awesome reservation holders who are now getting their batteries we are putting together a neat little local gift-set from Phoenix area vendors for their patience! I'm super excited about how things are turning out.

Sorka; we have discussed a bit about the technology and chemistry before but where are you finding information to suggest that LiFePO4 chemistry should be cheaper per Wh than Lead Acid? Lead Acid is an extremely mature technology with massive production using cheap and common materials, this isn't the case with Lithium batteries of any chemistry, especially not the Iron Phosphate type that we are utilizing. If you can find cheaper sources I'd be all ears but I know that industry relatively well and have to say it isn't realistic. Anyways, I would love to see a source. My gut tells me you are referring to a different number though, the number being the cost per stored/retrieved Wh; here is a chart I made for an example battery that should make what I'm referring to obvious:
AGMLiFePO4comparison.PNG

Anyways, I really appreciate the discussion guys and I'm super excited to ramp this thing up and get a lot of batteries out there that perform better than any of us expect! I know the data and I know the chemistry and the technology but until we have hundreds of batteries in cars for a few years I know it will be tough to convince a lot of folks.

• Informative
Reactions: houstonian
You seem to not know what Lithium Ion means.

or put another way;

LiFePO4 is lithium ion.

Go ahead open Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia and look for LiFePO4. It's in there.

It is important to note that various Lithium chemistries have different characteristics. For example if you assemble a cell utilizing Lithium with Manganese Dioxide you will have a nominal voltage of 3.0 and the battery isn't rechargeable, if you assemble the cell utilizing Lithium Iron Phosphate you get a nominal voltage of 3.2 and it is rechargeable and if you assemble the cell utilizing Lithium Cobalt Oxide (think original Roadster batteries) you are looking at a nominal voltage of 3.6...

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that there are many different formulas that utilize Lithium to make a battery cell, they aren't all the same...

• Informative
Reactions: houstonian
An interesting note, I have been waiting a bit over a month for a 12v replacement as they have been on backorder, it just came in today but my SC in Denver will not allow me to buy the battery and install it myself. Service manager there said no and instead they are arranging for a ranger to come to me and replace it. I let them know I am outside warranty and that was why I wanted to just pick it up and do the install myself and they said they would wave the labor and ranger fee so I would only be paying for the battery still. Im not complaining by any means as this will be even more convenient for me and is awesome of them to do but has anyone else been denied being able to buy the batter and perform the install?

just curious

An interesting note, I have been waiting a bit over a month for a 12v replacement as they have been on backorder, it just came in today but my SC in Denver will not allow me to buy the battery and install it myself. Service manager there said no and instead they are arranging for a ranger to come to me and replace it. I let them know I am outside warranty and that was why I wanted to just pick it up and do the install myself and they said they would wave the labor and ranger fee so I would only be paying for the battery still. Im not complaining by any means as this will be even more convenient for me and is awesome of them to do but has anyone else been denied being able to buy the batter and perform the install?

just curious

So they're only charging you $122 + tax?

Hey guys, thanks for mentioning my batteries in this discussion! I'm happy to read and hear the discussions back and forth on the technology! We (BattMobile) are within a week or two of getting our first production batch of batteries into customers hands, we are also working on an installation guide with visual aids and a full installation video (of the tough ones, not the simple D models). For our awesome reservation holders who are now getting their batteries we are putting together a neat little local gift-set from Phoenix area vendors for their patience! I'm super excited about how things are turning out.

Sorka; we have discussed a bit about the technology and chemistry before but where are you finding information to suggest that LiFePO4 chemistry should be cheaper per Wh than Lead Acid? Lead Acid is an extremely mature technology with massive production using cheap and common materials, this isn't the case with Lithium batteries of any chemistry, especially not the Iron Phosphate type that we are utilizing. If you can find cheaper sources I'd be all ears but I know that industry relatively well and have to say it isn't realistic. Anyways, I would love to see a source. My gut tells me you are referring to a different number though, the number being the cost per stored/retrieved Wh; here is a chart I made for an example battery that should make what I'm referring to obvious:View attachment 211352

Anyways, I really appreciate the discussion guys and I'm super excited to ramp this thing up and get a lot of batteries out there that perform better than any of us expect! I know the data and I know the chemistry and the technology but until we have hundreds of batteries in cars for a few years I know it will be tough to convince a lot of folks.

I owed you some data but have been so busy that anything more tesla related than an occasional forum hope while I'm on the road is all I can handle recently.

That said I found this page with a much more thorough analysis:

Syonyk's Project Blog: Tesla Model S 12V Battery Analysis

They mention 5 cycles a day. I saw six, but the reality is as the battery loses capacity, the cycle count goes up to 8 or 9 a day before the car finally calls BS and tells you the 12v battery is bad.

In your 2 column comparison, where is the cost coming from? You list $800 for your battery but it's only $395, right? The Tesla AGM battery is reportedly sold for about $122.

edit: oh wait, that's the Optima you're comparing it to. Is there an Optima model that has been confirmed as a drop in replacement?

Last edited: