Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY brake fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Is there any DIY on how to bleed the brake fluid? I also would like to use the Motive Bleeder, does anyone the size of the master cylinder? If we don't die from the COVID-19, I hope to hit the track in a month. The pads and fluid better be here

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way by far if you plan to track your car is to replace the bleeder valves with SpeedBleeder - SB1010S-SS. With SpeedBleeder values, the only equipment you need is a 10mm or 11mm wrench to open the bleeder valve and a bleed bottle. Open the valve and pump it away with your foot on the brake pedal without worth of air going into the valve. No bulky equipment or 2nd person to coordinate with. I have three different types of vacuum /pressure bleeder, including Motive Power Bleeder, they are just collecting dust now.

yeah is 0108 the cap?
I have the package for the cap attachment since I already had the can but couldn’t find just the cap on Amazon. Cap is 1108
3033F473-E005-4144-8B22-4A7F110081E1.jpeg

Power/vacuum bleeders aren't necessary. I've flushed my fluid a handful of times by myself with just a bottle and pumping the pedal 10-12 times each corner.

Maybe not necessary, but they sure are nice. I use the Motive power bleeder and it's awesome. Pump it up, go to the caliper, open the bleeder, sit back and watch the bottle fill. Close when appropriate. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe not necessary, but they sure are nice. I use the Motive power bleeder and it's awesome. Pump it up, go to the caliper, open the bleeder, sit back and watch the bottle fill. Close when appropriate. Rinse and repeat.

I agree Motive Powerbleeder works really well, until the hose bursts shooting break fluid everywhere in the frunk. It happened on mine last year. I replaced the hose on Motive. However, after I switched to Speedbleeder valve on the calipers, I don’t ever touch the Motive again. No extra equipment to clean and store. One less equipment to bring to the track. I’ve bled my brakes between sessions and at SC station. Cleaning of Motive after or before each use is important to minimize amount of contaminated, moisture saturated brake fluid into the brake system. With Speedbleeder, literally, fresh brake fluid go from Motul/Castro bottle to master cylinder tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: destructure00
I agree Motive Powerbleeder works really well, until the hose bursts shooting break fluid everywhere in the frunk. It happened on mind last year. I replaced the hose on Motive. However, after I switched to Speedbleeder valve on the calipers, I don’t ever touch the Motive again. No extra equipment to clean and store. One less equipment to bring to the track. I’ve bled my brakes between sessions and at SC station. Cleaning of Motive after or before each use is important to minimize amount of contaminated, moisture saturated brake fluid into the brake system. With Speedbleeder, literally, fresh brake fluid go from Motul/Castro bottle to master cylinder tank.

Have you figured out how many pedal pumps it takes to get fresh fluid to each corner? That's the only wildcard for me with the Motive and fluids being the same color.

Have you figured out how many pedal pumps it takes to get fresh fluid to each corner? That's the only wildcard for me with the Motive and fluids being the same color.

For complete flush. I use anywhere between 10 to 15 pumps. 15 for the RR, as it has the most line to flush. I’ll adjust so I use up an entire 500ml bottle. For 1000ml bottle, I will go twice around. If I’ve the energy and time, will do a quick drive after 1/2 of 1000ml, to activate ABS. Then finish the 2nd half of the bottle.

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
By yourself. How do you close the caliper valve before releasing the pedal at the end of each stroke?
You don't need to. Returning the pedal to neutral pulls a very minimal amount of fluid back into the caliper (1-2tbsp), and it's just the same fresh fluid being reintroduced anyways. You're good to go as long as there's no air bubbles. Occam's Razor is a principle that's served me well over the years.