Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diy Tire Rotation - Jack Stand Cradle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is anyone doing a real crossing? The tires can go on either side, so long as the word "outside" is on the outside.

No.
This needlessly over-complicates the tire rotation sequence (you can no longer just jack one side of the car and move wheels front<->back, for no gain. In 30+ years of rotating and swapping tires, I've never observed any left vs. right wear variation.

The only exception to the above are track tires, that do wear lefts quicker after running (usually) clockwise all the time. Alas, this hardly applies to the discussion at hand.

a

I just bought a QuickJack 5000 for $999, $100 instant rebate and $100 Costco cash card. So effectively $799!!!

I haven't used it on the Tesla yet... I'm a little disappointed to see that it is too small for the car :(. I was surprised to see it work on my Fiat 500 Abarth which obviously needs a lot more service than be the Tesla ever will lol.

*Edit* Check this out: 3 Ways to Lift Tesla with QuickJack - Blog

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TomB985 and Phlier
I just bought a QuickJack 5000 for $999, $100 instant rebate and $100 Costco cash card. So effectively $799!!!

I haven't used it on the Tesla yet... I'm a little disappointed to see that it is too small for the car :(. I was surprised to see it work on my Fiat 500 Abarth which obviously needs a lot more service than be the Tesla ever will lol.

*Edit* Check this out: 3 Ways to Lift Tesla with QuickJack - Blog
Can you elaborate more on why it is too small? Are lift points too far apart, or is there some other issue?

Can you elaborate more on why it is too small? Are lift points too far apart, or is there some other issue?
He probably bought the BL-5000SLX instead of the BL-5000EXT and the jack points in the car are too always apart to work with the SLX's 60" span. He needs the extra length of the EXT's 66" span.

Edit: there is a 6" extension for the SLX that allows them to work on a Tesla QuickJack SLX Frame Extension Kit - Fits 5000SLX and 7000SLX

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I got the same QuickJack from Costco last year, found the area for the lifting blocks were just not long enough for the standard parallel method. The sideways method is the only way to safely use the BL-5000SLX without the extensions. Fortunately, when used in this configuration it doesn't interfere with getting the lower aero panels off.

Oh, I rotate front to back, keep it simple.

I got the same QuickJack from Costco last year, found the area for the lifting blocks were just not long enough for the standard parallel method. The sideways method is the only way to safely use the BL-5000SLX without the extensions. Fortunately, when used in this configuration it doesn't interfere with getting the lower aero panels off.

Oh, I rotate front to back, keep it simple.

Has anyone tried one of these?

613VMq05-tL._SL1500_grande.jpg

I would be curious if not using the jack points would be damaging to the car. It's SO soft, but it's in the wrong place.

This is exactly in line with the LAST rotation I did where I just used a $3 hockey puck screwed to a bottle top to align the jack and protect the car... Just need a friend with an exhaust pipe.

Has anyone tried one of these?

613VMq05-tL._SL1500_grande.jpg

I would be curious if not using the jack points would be damaging to the car. It's SO soft, but it's in the wrong place.

This is exactly in line with the LAST rotation I did where I just used a $3 hockey puck screwed to a bottle top to align the jack and protect the car... Just need a friend with an exhaust pipe.
LOL, it doubles as a Kevorkian device.

So since we are all pretty much stuck at home I want to paint calipers. I have a lot of 2x/6/8/10s at home. Can I jack my car up from one point (say front driver) until the rear is off the ground and stack a bunch of wood under the rear drivers side (like a jack stand) and lower slightly so the car is on the wood? Ok or playing with fire?

So since we are all pretty much stuck at home I want to paint calipers. I have a lot of 2x/6/8/10s at home. Can I jack my car up from one point (say front driver) until the rear is off the ground and stack a bunch of wood under the rear drivers side (like a jack stand) and lower slightly so the car is on the wood? Ok or playing with fire?

Yes, you certainly can. But the car's rear heavy, so jacking from the rear is much more effective.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-22_21-15-49.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-22_21-15-49.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 161
I've been looking for a way to rotate my own tires on my model 3. I already have a normal jack and jack stands and was trying to avoid the fancy jack stands i've seen in other posts. Anyone used a jack stand cradle as seen below or similar?

Other solutions?

Tesla Model 3 jack puck and jack-stand cradle | eBay
Hello, did you manage to lift enough the car with the jack on the rear or front, to put the jack stand in the other point ?