Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have LFP or NCA Battery? (SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just purchased a 2021 Tesla Mode 3 SR+. In the Range Tips section on the Tesla website, it states this:

• Certain Model 3 Standard Range Plus cars use a unique battery that should be charged to 100% whenever convenient in order to maintain long-term battery health. These vehicles will have a default charging limit of 100% and no 'daily' or 'recommended' charging limit featured on their charging screen.
Anyone know how to find out if my vehicle uses this “unique battery” that should be charged to 100%? I note that my charging screen does not show any daily or recommended charging limits but does let me set the charging limits up to 100%.

Thanks

My charging screen does show a series of lines between 50% to 90% but there isn’t anything information or wording on daily or recommended limits....

Make sure you are on the "Set Limit" charging screen.

If it looks like this with "Daily" and "Trips" then it's not LFP:

charge_limit_s.jpg

If that screen is missing "Daily" and "Trips" then it's LFP:

Tesla-app-LFP-678x381.png

Hi all

Just purchased a 2021 Tesla Mode 3 SR+. In the Range Tips section on the Tesla website, it states this:

• Certain Model 3 Standard Range Plus cars use a unique battery that should be charged to 100% whenever convenient in order to maintain long-term battery health. These vehicles will have a default charging limit of 100% and no 'daily' or 'recommended' charging limit featured on their charging screen.
Anyone know how to find out if my vehicle uses this “unique battery” that should be charged to 100%? I note that my charging screen does not show any daily or recommended charging limits but does let me set the charging limits up to 100%.

Thanks

(moderator note)

Thread combined with an existing thread on this same topic

Very helpful, thanks a lot :)
In addition to the motor model, if you don’t have “daily” and “trip” on the charge limit screen, and your car weighs 4,658 lbs (GVWR on sticker at driver’s door), those are also good indicators of LFP vehicles. Note that the European manual states that the lack of daily and trip limits on the charge limit screen are the indicators.

Attachments

• 681C4488-1E32-4F51-B640-FD14C842834F.jpeg
    681C4488-1E32-4F51-B640-FD14C842834F.jpeg
    994.3 KB · Views: 163
Where did you find that on the Tesla web site? The US manual does not yet contain that section, but the European manual does.
Only the MIC Model 3s have the LFP battery and the MIC cars are only shipped to China, Europe, and Australia.*

*Tesla has offered some SR+ buyers in the US the option to get the LFP battery from China. Those people will still have a car built in the US but the battery will be from China. That is why the manual in the US and Europe are different.

Reactions: theothertom
Only the MIC Model 3s have the LFP battery and the MIC cars are only shipped to China, Europe, and Australia.*

*Tesla has offered some SR+ buyers in the US the option to get the LFP battery from China. Those people will still have a car built in the US but the battery will be from China. That is why the manual in the US and Europe are different.
I have an LFP vehicle here in the US.

Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Some Standard Range Plus models are equipped with a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery. To check if your vehicle has an LFP battery installed, open the charging screen on the touch screen and touch Set Limit or open the Charging screen in the mobile app and drag the slider.

If "50%" and "100%" are shown in the battery image, your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery.
If the words Daily and Trip are displayed in the battery image, then your vehicle is not equipped with an LFP battery. Ignore this section.
If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, Tesla recommends maintaining a 100% charge, even for everyday use, as well as charging the vehicle to a 100% level at least once a week. If your vehicle has been parked for more than a week, Tesla recommends driving the vehicle as you normally do and charging it to a level of 100% as soon as possible.

In addition, Tesla recommends allowing the vehicle to "sleep" on a regular basis by parking while disabling Sentry Mode if possible. Consider using the Exclude Home, Exclude Work, and Exclude Favorites settings to prevent Sentry Mode from automatically activating in locations where it is not required. See location-dependent settings."